Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals

I have about 2800kms on my koup, and just checked my oil and it is way below half, its just between half and the Low level, is this normal? should I be concerned? should I go and have the oil changed or just top it off and wait for my first service?

Thanks

Bw

·
Registered
88 Posts
Change it. I dont even have half that and I got my first service scheduled in a couple days. I know older cars burned oil but I thought the new one didn't.Nothing to be concerned about I say but let them know in case it does become a problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt think it would burn any either but I figured I would check it just in case, does kia use a "shipping/break in" oil?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Before claiming your oil is at the halfway mark consider this: When did you check the oil, right after driving, after the car sat overnight, or somewhere in between? Was your car on level ground or on a slant? My best advice is to check your engine's oil when the car has sat overnight and is on level ground. Checking it right after driving the car will not always give you an accurate reading as some oil is trapped on top of the engine or splattered throughout the block and hasn't had a chance to drip down into the pan. As long as the oil level is read between the add and full mark you are in the "operating" range and you do not have to add more oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil changes

I put synthetic in after my first oil change.

My plan is to change every 5,000 miles.

From 0 to 5,000 miles, I didn't need to add any oil. Once I changed the oil, I put in 5 quarts of synthetic Valvoline.

At 8,500 total miles, I had to add 1/2 quart to top it off.

I didn't fill the oil filter before I screwed it on the first time. That can lead to a reading below the "full" mark on the dip stick. On my second oil change, I did fill the oil filter before I screwed it on.

I don't anticipte adding oil between changes, but will check.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well I took my Koup in a 1,000 miles for new oil I just checked my oil today for the second time since It got changed and this time it was a half quart low.
right now there is only about 1,400 miles on the car..

kind of strange that it just used a half of quart theres no leaks that I can find..
just thought I'd share

·
Registered
215 Posts
I really think forte(SX) does burn oil. I noticed lowered engine oil level after doing high rpm driving. Mine has only 1300 miles, mostly highway driving with occasional spirited driving and it is already about 1/8 quart low, which I refilled.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I really think forte(SX) does burn oil. I noticed lowered engine oil level after doing high rpm driving. Mine has only 1300 miles, mostly highway driving with occasional spirited driving and it is already about 1/8 quart low, which I refilled.
I agree I was also doing a bit of spirited driving today.. thats why I checked the oil:) so I guess all of us should just keep a watchful eye on are Oil levels ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
halfway between the lines is still a good oil level, esp if you checked it within an hour of operating the car, as there still may be oil circulating through the system. anything below the lines is out of operating conditions, between the lines is good to go though

·
Registered
696 Posts
On my cross country trip (Pennsylvania to Oregon, literally coast to coast), I had to add oil on two seperate occasions. The first time was the trip from Penn to St. Louis, MO; I had to add a half quart. The second time was when we rolled into Ogden, UT and I had to add another half quart. All the driving was highway speeds, with RPM's around 2600. So maybe it is the higher RPM's that do it? Still was odd to me that a car with less than 13,000 miles would need that much oil added in a short amount of time. No leaks that I can see either...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had the local Kia dealership do an oil change and lube prior to leaving the trip, and I got an extra quart of the oil they put in for a spare for the trip. Unfortunately, I've since thrown the bottle away, so I'm not sure exactly what is was, but it would be whatever Kia's normal oil would be. When I got to Portland I did an oil change and now use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20 with a Mobil 1 filter. Haven't had an issue yet with that combo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts