Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good ideas for a better looking spoiler for the forte gt? The factory one is hardly considered a spoiler at all. I'm curious if anyone has changed spoilers or has any ideas for one.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
One problem with changing spoilers on the GT is that the trunk has 5 square holes in it under the current spoiler. Nearly all the aftermarket spoilers made for the Forte are lip-spoilers - some of these will not cover the existing holes - member Arith found that out on his GT.

...and you are right...the factory spoiler is just a piece of flat plastic and is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One problem with changing spoilers on the GT is that the trunk has 5 square holes in it under the current spoiler. Nearly all the aftermarket spoilers made for the Forte are lip-spoilers - some of these will not cover the existing holes - member Arith found that out on his GT.

...and you are right...the factory spoiler is just a piece of flat plastic and is purely cosmetic.
What the heck was Kia thinking putting x5 bolts to secure that tiny lip spoiler? I've seen larger lip spoilers just held on by double sided tape.

But yeah, very few options for aftermarket spoilers that will cover the holes. Air Design, the R Style duck tail, and the beefier lip (which sits flush though).

·
Registered
69 Posts
What the heck was Kia thinking putting x5 bolts to secure that tiny lip spoiler? I've seen larger lip spoilers just held on by double sided tape.

But yeah, very few options for aftermarket spoilers that will cover the holes. Air Design, the R Style duck tail, and the beefier lip (which sits flush though).
Definitely the 5x bolts are unnecessary lol, the ducktail you have does it to prevent water from falling in? The air design is for the 19 but being the same body style should fit for 20-21 as well I think

·
Registered
341 Posts
Definitely the 5x bolts are unnecessary lol, the ducktail you have does it to prevent water from falling in?
I've taped up the holes, and the double sided tape fences the top and diverts water flow to the sides so it's been relatively trouble free the last 4 months.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've gotta do the install still but I have the same one as Arith. Here's a couple mock up pics. Obviously when I install the OEM wing won't be there. I think it looks better in person than in pictures but maybe it just cause it's a shiny new car part, haha. I got it form Aliexpress.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've gotta do the install still but I have the same one as Arith. Here's a couple mock up pics. Obviously when I install the OEM wing won't be there. I think it looks better in person than in pictures but maybe it just cause it's a shiny new car part, haha. I got it form Aliexpress.
View attachment 82155

View attachment 82156

View attachment 82157
I love the way it looks! 🔥 BUT shipping out to the US is expensive! I checked the link Arith had on his post the part costs about 85$ and to ship out about another 70-80$ and to top it off takes 30-45 days to arrive 🤦🏽‍♀️

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love the way it looks! 🔥 BUT shipping out to the US is expensive! I checked the link Arith had on his post the part costs about 85$ and to ship out about another 70-80$ and to top it off takes 30-45 days to arrive 🤦🏽‍♀️
Good lord you people from North America are spoiled for choice and yet still complain. Most aftermarket spoilers in this design START at $350 USD. And that's not even painted or shipped. Shipping to Australia and taxes would have costed me well over $700 AUD just to get it, and then I would have to spend extra on paint.

The spoiler is a bulk item because it can't be folded or bent so the cost of shipping increases by quite a bit. I got mine in about 2.5 weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good lord you people from North America are spoiled for choice and yet still complain. Most aftermarket spoilers in this design START at $350 USD. And that's not even painted or shipped. Shipping to Australia and taxes would have costed me well over $700 AUD just to get it, and then I would have to spend extra on paint.

The spoiler is a bulk item because it can't be folded or bent so the cost of shipping increases by quite a bit. I got mine in about 2.5 weeks.
Heck yeah brother always complaining 😂 my complaint is the total only because the airdesign spoiler ends up being 215$ I think that’s what it was with shipping included and this one is 170-180$ so for 30$ difference I get an official one from a body kit

·
Registered
341 Posts
Heck yeah brother always complaining 😂 my complaint is the total only because the airdesign spoiler ends up being 215$ I think that’s what it was with shipping included and this one is 170-180$ so for 30$ difference I get an official one from a body kit
Lucky! It's about $600 AUD for me to get the Air Design, and then I still have to get it painted.
The only thing that made me hesitate was the fact that it cascades over the edge, which means I would have to get it painted in black at top and grey at the back. Otherwise having a black strip going atop of the trunk looks odd to me. Plus I'm always changing badges so it would make badge removal difficult.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lucky! It's about $600 AUD for me to get the Air Design, and then I still have to get it painted.
The only thing that made me hesitate was the fact that it cascades over the edge, which means I would have to get it painted in black at top and grey at the back. Otherwise having a black strip going atop of the trunk looks odd to me. Plus I'm always changing badges so it would make badge removal difficult.
Before I answer that Sean I apologize we stole your thread to have a conversation about the spoilers lol 😅 And yes I just figured out why it’s so cheap to ship out. I’m from California and the warehouse for AirDesign is in California about 2-3 hours away for me lol, damn really that expensive! But yeah I understand I have to get mine painted as well since I have the same color Forte as you

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well I think the Carbon Fiber one looks bitchin so no need to paint! But I may clear coat it as I am not sure they used a UV resistant resin. :unsure:
I'm always afraid I'll screw it up even more so I wouldn't dare do that, especially with my noob skill level. Guess if it starts to fade I'll just buy another one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I do like the duck bill. But I think I want something closer to what the bug eye wrx sti had for a spoiler. Idk the names for different spoilers 😂. I'm an auto tech not into body work. But I might order a new painted trunk from kia for a base model. Won't have the holes then if I drill new holes to mount a new spoiler and mess up I can go back to stock lol. I'll just "wing" it :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I do like the duck bill. But I think I want something closer to what the bug eye wrx sti had for a spoiler. Idk the names for different spoilers 😂. I'm an auto tech not into body work. But I might order a new painted trunk from kia for a base model. Won't have the holes then if I drill new holes to mount a new spoiler and mess up I can go back to stock lol. I'll just "wing" it :)
Then look at this post by Bigturboforte. He's got the Mugen wing from a civic on his looks like it might be what you are after or similar anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts