Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Banned
Looks great! Hope you don鈥檛 have many potholes where you live. 18鈥 wheels are bad enough here in SE PA

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! Hope you don鈥檛 have many potholes where you live. 18鈥 wheels are bad enough here in SE PA
I'm in the outer suburbs of Sydney, Australia, which is somewhat ok. Mainly gargantuan speed bumps to worry about.

Registered
So +40mm offset on the front set? and +35mm on the back? Also, if you wouldn鈥檛 mind, what are your wheel & tire specs? Set up looks amazing!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So +40mm offset on the front set? and +35mm on the back? Also, if you wouldn鈥檛 mind, what are your wheel & tire specs? Set up looks amazing!
Shaving is actually the opposite as the more you shave the center the more the offset increases. If you're planning to lower the car you can do pretty much anything you want.
But if you plan to lower the car, ideally you want +45mm offset front and rear with 8.5" as the max. You could also do 8.0" with +40mm offset. You'll get occasional rubbing with 235 tires so 225 is the ideal width.
Some people don't mind the rubbing or will modify the fender and try squeeze in as big as possible so it's up to you on what you want.

Registered
Shaving is actually the opposite as the more you shave the center the more the offset increases. If you're planning to lower the car you can do pretty much anything you want.
But if you plan to lower the car, ideally you want +45mm offset front and rear with 8.5" as the max. You could also do 8.0" with +40mm offset. You'll get occasional rubbing with 235 tires so 225 is the ideal width.
Some people don't mind the rubbing or will modify the fender and try squeeze in as big as possible so it's up to you on what you want.
Oh okay so is your set up lowered? I really like the look of your wheels they are the best I鈥檝e seen. I was wondering how I could accomplish that look without lowering the car, just changing wheels and tires. I appreciate your reply!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh okay so is your set up lowered? I really like the look of your wheels they are the best I鈥檝e seen. I was wondering how I could accomplish that look without lowering the car, just changing wheels and tires. I appreciate your reply!
The problem with getting aftermarket wheels is that they will draw attention to that area. So people will be drawn to your wheels, and in turn, see your fender gap. The majority of people are fine with the stock height and are not fuss with the fender gap. But for the modifier, it's a bit of an eye sore. By pushing the wheels out it can look more filling, but you will still notice it.

So lowering is always going to be my first mod on a car. I got the Eibach lowering springs (made for the Veloster as Eibach don't have springs made just for the Forte).

If you're looking to fill in the fender gap without going lower, you could try bigger diameter tires. For example if you're getting 18" wheels. Instead of the usual 225/40-18 tires, you could go 235/40-18 or even 225/45-18. The tire wall will be bigger as the diameter is bigger (by 0.5 and 1.0" respectively) to fill the gap a bit more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol. I should too. Sometimes I'll see a car in front drive crazy and I'll think "What the heck?" Then a second later I'm reacting the same way avoiding a sudden pothole.

Registered
The problem with getting aftermarket wheels is that they will draw attention to that area. So people will be drawn to your wheels, and in turn, see your fender gap. The majority of people are fine with the stock height and are not fuss with the fender gap. But for the modifier, it's a bit of an eye sore. By pushing the wheels out it can look more filling, but you will still notice it.

So lowering is always going to be my first mod on a car. I got the Eibach lowering springs (made for the Veloster as Eibach don't have springs made just for the Forte).

If you're looking to fill in the fender gap without going lower, you could try bigger diameter tires. For example if you're getting 18" wheels. Instead of the usual 225/40-18 tires, you could go 235/40-18 or even 225/45-18. The tire wall will be bigger as the diameter is bigger (by 0.5 and 1.0" respectively) to fill the gap a bit more.
Yeah I鈥檓 in between just filling out the gap with thicker tires, new wheels, and a different offset or lowering with the eibachs and new wheels and new offset. I don鈥檛 care much for the stock GT wheels, I would rather get some gloss black ones 19鈥, so I will have to find a set up to match that. I feel like the stock wheels are inside of the fender too much, and the tires have very little side wall for wheel protection. What is your current set up? I noticed you were in between wheels for a minute did you ever get the ones you wanted?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I鈥檓 in between just filling out the gap with thicker tires, new wheels, and a different offset or lowering with the eibachs and new wheels and new offset. I don鈥檛 care much for the stock GT wheels, I would rather get some gloss black ones 19鈥, so I will have to find a set up to match that. I feel like the stock wheels are inside of the fender too much, and the tires have very little side wall for wheel protection. What is your current set up? I noticed you were in between wheels for a minute did you ever get the ones you wanted?
Not really. The ones I really want I would have to machine too much to get them to fit. In the end I just left them as they are.
But I think I have a wheel problem. Lol.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Registered
Not really. The ones I really want I would have to machine too much to get them to fit. In the end I just left them as they are.
But I think I have a wheel problem. Lol.
View attachment 84161
Wow lol, out of all those what is your favorite fitment? The top pic looks clean like it could be oem. Would you recommend 19 over 20鈥 wheels so ride comfort isn鈥檛 sacrificed?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow lol, out of all those what is your favorite fitment? The top pic looks clean like it could be oem. Would you recommend 19 over 20鈥 wheels so ride comfort isn鈥檛 sacrificed?
Unless you really want the 'look', I would recommend 19's over 20's for both comfort and performance. 20s is purely for cosmetic. It's more expensive to maintain and is a more uncomfortable ride.
But I can honestly say, nothing cranks the necks more than 20s. Lol.

Registered
Okay Arith...you've got some "mansplaining" to do!

What's wrong with this picture?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

You trying to pull a "fast one" on us?!?! Or did you get the stealth fuel door option...LOL!!!!

JK! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish:

You must have reversed the shot of the lower car.

BTW you Australians get the better "rectangular" fuel door...we get the lousy "round" fuel door:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay Arith...you've got some "mansplaining" to do!

What's wrong with this picture?

View attachment 84164

You trying to pull a "fast one" on us?!?! Or did you get the stealth fuel door option...LOL!!!!

JK! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish:

You must have reversed the shot of the lower car.

BTW you Australians get the better "rectangular" fuel door...we get the lousy "round" fuel door:

View attachment 84165
Lol. Yeah, I wanted to line up the pictures so I reversed that one without the fuel door.
But it's funny. In Australia our sedans get the square fuel door while the hatches get the round door. I don't know why it's inconsistent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts