Kia Forte Forum banner

2010 5 speed A/T vs 2011 6 speed A/T

8921 Views 22 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  pps106
I guess this thread is more for KiaTech and the Tech guys out there. Has anyone heard any reason from KIA itself on why the first year model has a 5 sp A/T and the 2011 will have a 6 sp A/T? It seems to me from the forum that the 5 sp has a lot of issues with shifting etc. So maybe that it the reason for the change. Makes me more interested in a 2011 than a 2010. Also you guys who work for KIA dealerships, have you heard a release date for the 2011 KOUP?
1 - 4 of 23 Posts
Is it possible to buy a 6speed transmission that is for the 2011 forte koup and swap it into a 2010 koup and eliminate the 5speed?
I actually talked to a dealer about a month ago, and i could have traded my 5speed for a 2011 6speed and 7grand more. As bad as i wanted to i was thinking that i could probably find the transmission and ecu and other parts and hopefully installation for less than 7 grand. I have just noticed that there are a good few more after market parts for the 6speed vice the 5speed. IE turbo kits.
Really? This is something that interest me, of course i am not sure exactly what "beefing" it up would consist of. But yes i would rather have the cheaper option and not have to trade my car in. Now if this is a redundant question i apologize, but what all would need to be 'beefed' and how would one go about beefing these items up?
Yea i havent any problems with the 5speed trans, other than a slip here and there. My want of the 6speed, or now light has been shed on beefing the 5speed up, is soley becuase i have read that there are more aftermarket parts for the stronger of the 2 transmissions. Which makes sense, but sadly they only offered the 5 speed when i bought mine =/ or the 6 is what i would have chosen. that or the manual if it wasnt a butt load more.
1 - 4 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.