Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took possession of this car in March of 2018, daughter got it for me for my work, I worked as a courier for 18 months but due to health issues of hubby, left that position last year. Anyways, have put on almost 100,000 K in the two years I have had the car and today while driving, noticed a very loud ticking noise as I started driving the car.

It has been good up to this and I have been happy. This noise sounds almost like Piston slap, but all of a sudden? No lack of power, or hesitation or anything :/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you checked your oil level and when is the last time you've had an oil change?

Have a video? Have you popped the hood and tried to locate the noise?

·
Registered
938 Posts
It could be many things. Engine knock, fuel injectors, exhaust leak, worn CV joint, etc. Too hard to diagnose over the internet. Can you post a video?

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay everyone. Until I could get a decent video of the sound is why there was a delay. Took this today. Both times parked. No driving and video-taping at the same time. More than likely we will be trading the car in once the dealership my daughter works at re-opens after this pandemic.

You can hear the noise after I rev the engine. It really is loud while accelerating

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec 2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX
1 Posts
I posted the videos, and allowed comments. Can any of you hear the issues I am referring to
I have the same noise in my 2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX. I recommend with your next oil change, use a can of Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment. I used it along with a full synthetic oil change and it drastically cuts down on that noise. I think its a common noise from these engines but ever since I used that Liquid Moly, it has quiet down a lot. For a 300mL bottle, I used a little bit more than half the container.

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same noise in my 2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX. I recommend with your next oil change, use a can of Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment. I used it along with a full synthetic oil change and it drastically cuts down on that noise. I think its a common noise from these engines but ever since I used that Liquid Moly, it has quiet down a lot. For a 300mL bottle, I used a little bit more than half the container.

I just got an full Synthetic Oil change last week. This noise was there before the oil change but it got worse this past Sunday

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to my Mechanic today, he is thinking it could be the tensioner for the Timing Chain/Belt. If this is the case, what does it usually cost to do this repair?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Spoke to my Mechanic today, he is thinking it could be the tensioner for the Timing Chain/Belt. If this is the case, what does it usually cost to do this repair?
Usually pretty expensive to get in there. I need to change the timing chain cover gasket and they want $800 which is about 90% labor and 10% part cost. If you DO do it, change the gasket at the same time!

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The funny thing is they recently did a compression test on the engine and it was good. I am doubting I will be doing it, just might drive it until it drops, but I am checking my oil on a twice weekly basis.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't think a rod/bearing issue would show up in a compression test though. I could be wrong.
You are correct. It would show a ring problem or a valve problem but not rod bearing problem. Unless the problem is a bent rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts