Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after having a HID retro on my old Mazda I vowed to never go back to halogen again. Thus, I decided to do another retro to my new baby, a 2010 Kia Forte Koup. Yes, I've only had the car for a little over a month but I wanted to start to make it "my own" as soon as possible. I started today so I'm not complete yet. I've only finished the passenger side up to this point. I used the Mini H1's, gatling shrouds (both from the retrofitsource.com) and some white LED's from ebay.

What do you guys think so far?

There is a little gap between the inner and outer lens that fit these side emitting LEDs perfectly. I was pretty pleased.

More pics of the drivers side + installed on the car soon to come. Also, I'll be posting some output shots to see what you guys are missing ;)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Looks awesome. You not going to paint the inside? I have been wanting to do this too. Maybe you could do mine when done????? In the near future.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i want those:D:D:D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys! I decided to not paint the insides because I want them to look as stock as possible...just with the projectors in there. Fox, I might be able to do a set for you sometime down the road. It really isn't too difficult to get done, just time consuming.

Only two things you really have to watch for while doing this. #1, you've gotta be VERY gentle and go slowly while separating the lens from the housing...if you go to fast you run the risk of cracking the lens or the housing. If this happens you're SOL and you're looking at a new set of headlights. #2, trim ONLY what you need to trim. In my case, I had to increase the size of the bulb hole slighty for the projector base to slide through, and I dremeled the little ridges around the bulb hole as well so the base of the projector fit flush up against the inside of the reflector.

I've managed to do this in a way that I can always revert back to the original set up if needed...not that I ever will, but I did it like this JUST in case.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
how much did everything run you? I would like to try this

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I really hope you can come out to our Show and Shine on the 28th of August. Would love to see these in person and met the man who did them. LOL.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
dude. you have to do a how to while your finishing the other one. that looks so freakin awesome.

·
Registered
708 Posts
if you didnt seal that headlight up i'd use some electrical tape around the piece of red wire thats slightly sticking out .. also i'd paint the housings. otherwise you're probably going to get a little glare from the reflection of the light off the chrome.. other wise.. fantastic work

·
Registered
63 Posts
Want to see it when its on the car ....Right now its looks fine but ..hmmm looks strange to me..but hey thats my opinion..
Good job ..but post photos when its on the car..

:) noce job really.. you really got patience..

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Dude if you start taking clients you got at least one more right here.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much did everything run you? I would like to try this
projectors were $125 from theretrofitsource.com. They include the shrouds. LEDs where another $25 or so from ebay, and then the ballasts and bulbs were another $60 or so from DDM.

Here are some new pics of them installed...

Wiring is up next tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Dibs... Everyone line up after me. First in line.... :cool: Can't wait to see the end result and the cutoff... what Temp are the bulbs?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dibs... Everyone line up after me. First in line.... :cool: Can't wait to see the end result and the cutoff... what Temp are the bulbs?
hahaha, we'll see if I want to do others ;)

I went with the 5000K bulbs. 35w ballasts.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All done!

It may look like the aiming is slanted, but that's due to the fact that the parking garage is slanted. They're perfectly level.

:)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Flip... Let me recoup from today (SXR spoiler & painted handles) then we need to talk about a set for me..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.