Kia Forte Forum banner

2010 Forte Koup headlight retro - pt 1.

16K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  NITRO 
#1 ·
So, after having a HID retro on my old Mazda I vowed to never go back to halogen again. Thus, I decided to do another retro to my new baby, a 2010 Kia Forte Koup. Yes, I've only had the car for a little over a month but I wanted to start to make it "my own" as soon as possible. I started today so I'm not complete yet. I've only finished the passenger side up to this point. I used the Mini H1's, gatling shrouds (both from the retrofitsource.com) and some white LED's from ebay.

What do you guys think so far?

There is a little gap between the inner and outer lens that fit these side emitting LEDs perfectly. I was pretty pleased.

More pics of the drivers side + installed on the car soon to come. Also, I'll be posting some output shots to see what you guys are missing ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks awesome. You not going to paint the inside? I have been wanting to do this too. Maybe you could do mine when done????? In the near future.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys! I decided to not paint the insides because I want them to look as stock as possible...just with the projectors in there. Fox, I might be able to do a set for you sometime down the road. It really isn't too difficult to get done, just time consuming.

Only two things you really have to watch for while doing this. #1, you've gotta be VERY gentle and go slowly while separating the lens from the housing...if you go to fast you run the risk of cracking the lens or the housing. If this happens you're SOL and you're looking at a new set of headlights. #2, trim ONLY what you need to trim. In my case, I had to increase the size of the bulb hole slighty for the projector base to slide through, and I dremeled the little ridges around the bulb hole as well so the base of the projector fit flush up against the inside of the reflector.

I've managed to do this in a way that I can always revert back to the original set up if needed...not that I ever will, but I did it like this JUST in case.

#12 ·
projectors were $125 from theretrofitsource.com. They include the shrouds. LEDs where another $25 or so from ebay, and then the ballasts and bulbs were another $60 or so from DDM.

Here are some new pics of them installed...

Wiring is up next tomorrow :)

#7 ·
I really hope you can come out to our Show and Shine on the 28th of August. Would love to see these in person and met the man who did them. LOL.

#9 ·
if you didnt seal that headlight up i'd use some electrical tape around the piece of red wire thats slightly sticking out .. also i'd paint the housings. otherwise you're probably going to get a little glare from the reflection of the light off the chrome.. other wise.. fantastic work

#11 ·
Dude if you start taking clients you got at least one more right here.

#13 ·
Dibs... Everyone line up after me. First in line.... :cool: Can't wait to see the end result and the cutoff... what Temp are the bulbs?

#15 ·
hahaha, we'll see if I want to do others ;)

I went with the 5000K bulbs. 35w ballasts.

#18 ·
All done!

It may look like the aiming is slanted, but that's due to the fact that the parking garage is slanted. They're perfectly level.

:)

#24 ·
Perhaps, what's the details?

Thanks for the comments everyone! They are aimed correctly now so once I'm out at night with my camera again I'll take some good pitch black output shots.

Daryl

#20 ·
Flip... Let me recoup from today (SXR spoiler & painted handles) then we need to talk about a set for me..

#22 ·
your right one is too high .. it should be a straight line (your passenger side Z shouldn't be higher then your driver side) i know you said the parking garage was slanted but that shouldn't effect that

aside from that they look awesome

#26 ·
Not seeing a PM there, so I went to the link. I've got plans up until 2pm, but I'll try and make it for the last little bit!

#27 ·
The last little bit will go on til like 8 or 9 or 10pm LOL... Dave & Busters for dinner and games. Hope you can make it. I have to see my next mod in person. ;)

#29 ·
Now i have a couple questions that will make my life much easier, as well as every other forte retrofitters'.

What plate did you use for the Mini H1?

Only dremeling to widen the bulb socket, right? (if not, then i'll go with FX-R)

Any other tips advices? (i'm going with quads, i'm not a complete noob at this, but tips from people who did it is always helpful)

And is it possible to take a picture of the back of the projector? (where the bulb goes in)

#31 ·
- I'm not sure what you mean by "plate"? I just went with the general install procedure for the Mini H1's

- Yes, only dremeling needed was for the bulb hole

- I can take a pic in the next few days. I'll try and see what I can get for you tomorrow.

My only other piece of advice would be to take your time while baking the lights. Pry them apart as carefully as possible so the damage done to the light housing is as minimal as possible :)

any other questions just ask away!

-Daryl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.