Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members, I'm Randy. I'm 31 y/o, and live in Guthrie, OK. I just got my 2010 Forte LX sedan about a week ago. She has 18K miles, 1 owner before myself, A/C, cruise, rear defrost, automatic, Sirius, bluetooth, etc. I got her from Big Red Sports & Imports (Kia / Suzuki dealer) in Norman, OK for $15500. It is still under the 60K mile warranty, and they gave me 3yr/36K mi free routine maintenance (starting @ 18K miles).

I had a 94 Corvette that I almost crashed street racing at 145MPH that I used as my trade in ($5500). (before the vette was my 1999 Mazda Miata 10th AE #1669) I didn't own the vette long, and I just couldn't stop street racing.. It was like crack to me.. I was racing a 2010 Accord V6 coupe (and it kept up fairly well until I hit 120 or so then the Accord just fell back), I was around 145MPH on the interstate when a Dodge Durango went from the slow lane, in to my fast lane.. Before I knew it I was on his bumper about to hit him, I had already applied the breaks and had managed to slow to about 110, I then decided to go off the shoulder closest to the guard rail.. I passed him, got back on the interstate, and swore off the vette forever. I'm not faulting the car for my stupidity, but I am just addicted to racing. It was a really close call that day. I'm more bothered that I was risking everyone elses lives on the HWY, and never gave that a thought until that close call.

That evening I messaged a friend on FB and told her the story.. She said I need a Ford Aspire, with an automatic or some slow Kia.. As I laughed about the idea, I thought why not? I started looking at Kias new line up, and found the Forte. I fell in love with the Koupe! Shortly after I took a 50 mile drive to Norman. Unfortunately they had NO used Fortes at all. They said the Forte sells as soon as one comes on the lot. So they wanted to stick me in a Suzuki Forenza 2009 model.. I sat in it, and told him I hate it. I told him I really want a Forte. After looking around at other cars for an hour, I see a black Forte pull up.. I assume it is a customers car, then the salesman throws me a set of keys. He said some guy just traded it in on a Sedona. 18K miles, still under manufacturer warranty, lets go for a drive. I drove it a few miles, and told him SOLD!

I compared buying a Civic to a Forte as I looked at both cars, and here is what I found:

Base model DX Civic: Base Model Forte LX:
140HP 128TQ 1.8L VTEC 156HP 144TQ 2.0L
Automatic 5 speed Automatic 4 speed
2630 LBS 2707 LBS
26/34 MPG 25/34 MPG
TRAC CONTROL: N/A TRAC CONTROL: STANDARD
Wattanty: 3y/36K basic 5y/60K PT 5y/60K basic 10y/100K PT
Bluetooth: N/A Bluetooth: Standard
Sat Radio: N/A Sirius: Standard
PRICE: $18150 PRICE: $15500

Kia impressed me so much.. Even my Honda buddies looked at it in awe. They can't believe a Kia Forte has more agressive styling than their beloved Civic (their words, I agree), more safety equipment standard, more base options standard, a better basic warranty and power train warranty, almost identical weight, the Forte has more HP & Torque, and about equal MPGs. As if that's not enough, I got mine for $15500, WITH free 3yr / 36K mi routine maintenance (tire rotations, oil changes, filters, tranny flush, etc). Although a few people still say it's a throw away car, I think Kia is making a big statement with their new cars. They are in this game to win! Watch out Honda, Toyota / Scion.. Anyway, I am proud to own my 1st Forte, and if it serves me well, I'll get a Koupe in a year or 2.

Thanks for reading my novel, here are my pics:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to finally hear of someone else in Oklahoma with a Forte! I'm in Midwest City, so about an hour away but still! Haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to finally hear of someone else in Oklahoma with a Forte! I'm in Midwest City, so about an hour away but still! Haha
MWC is my old stomping grounds. I still go to JJs from time to time for pool & beers. I went to Willow Brook Elem, Soldier Creek Elem, Monroney Jr High, and eventually Star Spencer where I dropped out and got a GED at 16. (Bad school). I used to live on Cedar Hill Pl, Holman Ct, Juniper Cir, Locust, and last but not least Crabtree Cove.. LOL.. My mom moved a lot. MWC has changed sooo much over the years.. My old mall is gone, and they have widened 29th st, and built more shopping centers that I've ever seen in one place.. Nice 2 "meet" you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome...new guy here too. Have any MOD plans?
Probably very few.. I plan on rims, HIDs, tint. I'm getting a Koupe in a year or so, and don't want to throw much at this car. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, and glad you're enjoying your Forte.
Thank you, I love this forum about as much as my car. Lots of useful information here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MWC is my old stomping grounds. I still go to JJs from time to time for pool & beers. I went to Willow Brook Elem, Soldier Creek Elem, Monroney Jr High, and eventually Star Spencer where I dropped out and got a GED at 16. (Bad school). I used to live on Cedar Hill Pl, Holman Ct, Juniper Cir, Locust, and last but not least Crabtree Cove.. LOL.. My mom moved a lot. MWC has changed sooo much over the years.. My old mall is gone, and they have widened 29th st, and built more shopping centers that I've ever seen in one place.. Nice 2 "meet" you.
HAHA!!! I actually went to JJ's this last Saturday! Yea, Midwest City has changed a whole lot, but definitely for the better. There's alot of shopping, but not a good custom car shop, definitely wouldn't get my car built and a specific shop down here(not going to name names but if anyone were to mention them, I would DEFINITELY voice and opinion). If you ever make it down here, I'll show you my koup. I actually just got my Rays Gramlights back from powdercoat and put on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I was talking about Jamaca Joes on 15th by Rose State College, and Booger Reds. I know what shop your talking about.. Can't think of the name but it sits off in the back, on either Air Depot or Douglass.. I'm thinking Douglass though. They're a big name in the auto clubs around the city.. Can't remember the name to save my life. I'll give you a call / email next time I'm coming to the city. I can't wait to get my Koup.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
welcome to the forte family! good story man.. maybe i should stop being an idiot and punch the throttle at red lights.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
welcome, enjoy the Forte!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts