Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2010 KIA Forte Ex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 KIA Forte - When I get in the car first thing in the morning (Florida so not exactly freezing) I turn on the defroster no light however I can hear a click and it does defrost the rear window. No A/C light and the blower blows hot air. About 30 minutes in on the ride to work, the A/C kicks in , light comes on, and blows cold. Now the strange part - If the car sits in the hot sun lets say until after 11-12 o'clock the A/C works like normal. ?? On a sunny hot day I leave work and it works fine.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,994 Posts
Hard to help without touching car.

Idea/guesstimate: Possibly small hose vacuum leak (heat could help seal or reduce leakage allowing it to function?)? Bad AC switch (defective/warped connectors affected by heat - cold no contact; hot full contact)?

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst!

Good Luck!

· Registered
3,127 Posts
The HVAC assembly control the automatic or manual that's in your forte?

You can check the controls by removing the 2 side AC air vents & then the stereo faceplate. It's held on by metal pressure tabs. Start from the very bottom. There are 2 small slots/openings to aid in respectful pulling of the faceplate.

They 50/50 chance of the AC air vents breaking. They're an effing pita to remove without something breaking.

When vents & face place is accessible, you'll be able to remove the HVAC control.

Look to see if there's burn/browning at the plug socket & at the wire harness plug/pigtail.

You can completely open the HVAC controls & see if there's junk around the controls & buttons & clean.

You can get a replacement part from your local junk/salvage for that need it now oem/factory parts, visit your local Kia/Hyundai dealership or check out Ebay & Amazon.

· Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
1,114 Posts
What year and model car is it? That MIGHT help. I used to live in FL and mine did something similar to what you're experiencing. Take a look at the plug on your blower motor. Mine had melted and shorted to ground. I spliced in two new spade connectors and have been trouble free for 3 years now. Cheap plastic plug got too hot from running the a/c everyday, I guess.

· Registered
2010 KIA Forte Ex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like I need to check the switches and the blower motor. I'll let you know! The make and model are in the title but I decided if one person missed that another might too so I added it to the first line.

· Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
1,114 Posts
Check that damned blower motor connection first. It's kind of a pain in the neck to take the switch apart. I started with the switch. Took it apart and cleaned it with emery cloth. Didn't make a bit of difference. My first thought was the blower motor, but the car was only a couple of years old, so I passed on my gut instinct. I won't do that again. Good luck with it and let us know what you find, okay?

· Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
1,114 Posts
Since it quits working when it gets hot, you've got something in the system with a thermal problem. Damned near impossible to find these. I used to own a delivery service and we used Motorola radios to dispatch calls for deliveries and pickups. I had one unit that would stop transmitting when it got hot because it had been mounted in my van where it would be in the sun sometimes depending on where I parked it. I could run the a/c for 15 or 20 minutes and it would cool down and start working again. The guys at the radio shop couldn't ever find the issue, but I solved it on my own by taking a small, light weight cardboard box and painting it bright white. I would put it over the radio when I got out of my van and when I came back, I would remove it and check in with the office. Worked like a charm. When I replaced the van, I told the radio shop NOT to put that sum beech in my new one. I got a new radio and never had an issue with it. What is happening is when something gets too hot, it's breaking the connection. By the time you pull things out to look out, it's probably been long enough for whatever it is to cool down and reconnect. Good luck solving this problem.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
If the car sits in the heat it works otherwise prepare to wait 20-30 minutes
If the ambient temp sensor is sending an incorrect voltage that's interpreted by the ECU as a very low ambient temp, then the compressor will not be allowed to run. Later on, the combination of higher ambient temp, along with sunlight hitting the photo sensor on the dash, could be high enough to trigger the A/C to run.

You can check the ambient temp value using an OBD live data scan tool. Not even necessary to start the engine - just plug the tool into the OBD port first thing in the morning, turn the key to on, and read the ambient temp value (which should be fairly close to the actual temp). If the scan tool shows a significantly lower temp than the actual one, it needs to be replaced.

· Registered
2012 Kia Forte
14 Posts
Hello, did you find out a solution yet? My 2012 Cerato 1.6 (forte) with manual AC does exactly the same thing. AC and recirculation button Never light up when i leave for works in the morning, however it almost always works when in the afternoon when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, and when it works it blows perfectly cold air. I am pulling my hair out trying to fix this issue. Please HELP!

· Registered
2010 KIA Forte Ex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to either buy a new controller or get it at the scrap yard when I get a new bezel after the one I removed cracked all over the place. Any progress on your end?

· Registered
2012 Kia Forte
14 Posts
I am also thinking of visiting the Scrap Yard to see if i can find a replacement, i guess new OEM part will cost a pretty penny.

I saw many available on Ebay, if i were living in the US, i'd probably buy from there.

· Registered
2012 Kia Forte
14 Posts
Hello, if anyone is still facing this issue, i found the solution and thought i should share it as i know alot of people are suffering from this problem.

The fix is to open the control module, and above the middle dial (Air direction dial) there are two silver capacitors, just change those with the same type of capacitors and voila, everything works perfectly.  I got mine changed from electronics repair shop (tv, stereos etc.)

Picture below for reference.

Circuit component Green Electronic engineering Electronic component Electronic device

Hope this helps someone, I suffered a lot due to this small problem for a long time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts