Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just wanting to know how to turn off the anti theft lock. Got a new battery for the Kia and after installing it it won’t turn on . Just cranks and dashboard won’t turn on either so I know it’s the anti theft. What do I do?

·
Administrator
746 Posts
I have anti theft/immobilizer and have changed the battery multiple times without a problem. There's no special trick, you install the new battery and it should start up. Maybe try using the "Unlock" button on the key fob?

I'd start by re-checking the connections on the battery to ensure they're tight and free of corrosion.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
306 Posts
I remember Scotty Kilmer saying the computer needs to be reset after a battery change if you don't maintain power to the computer during the battery changeover. May be a question for your dealership

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Make sure the battery is connected to their correct polarity cables.

The guy my wife bought the salvaged/rebuilt titled 07 Scion TC 2.4L he did the seasonal battery rotation but forgot + goes with + & neg goes with neg. Battery posts & battery were covered in calcified acid & the engine fuse box burned out wires & fuses.

Wasn't fun stripping the car apart just to find repair, cut ruined stripped exposed run into constant electrical damages.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
977 Posts
Something isn’t making a connection. It’s not the immobilizer. With the immobilizer the dash will light up as usual but the engine won’t crank. Check that you took the plastic off the terminals, have them hooked up correctly, and that they are on tight.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
841 Posts
You did remove the black plastic cap from the negative terminal, right? Or is a red one on the positive battery post? Either way, you car won't do anything because the plastic prevents it from making contact. Please tell me that wasn't it!:p
Believe it or not, when I worked for Autozone, I had a customer bring a battery in for the core charge and told me he needed a battery. I asked if he needed it installed and he said no, that he'd do it himself. He bought the battery he wanted, and went outside. 5 minutes later, he brought it back in and told me it was no damned good and he wanted another one. I asked what was wrong with it and he said his car wouldn't crank with it. I removed the black plastic cap off the ground post and told him to try it again. He never came back in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m back again.. I mainly work on chevys and what not but fixing my gfs car. So I ended up getting her a new battery and installed it. Everything works but the dashboard and only cranks the car but won’t turn on. I’ve checked all my work and doings but can’t find the problem. Connections are tight. Battery is beyond charged so it’s not that. Could it be something in the computer? Car was sitting out for a good month not running so I may not know of any other underlying problems. But that was the only issue the car had was a dead battery .

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
841 Posts
Also tried to see if I could move the car into neutral to try and start it then but brakes are locked in I noticed ..
Are you saying that once you turn the key on and put your foot on the brake pedal that the car won't shift into neutral? If that's the case, I'd have someone look at the brake lights and see if they're coming on. If not, maybe the brake light switch is faulty and causing the no start condition? IDK, I'm NOT a mechanic. I'm just trying to think outside the box here and help you out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts