Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the owners manual it say to bring the car to a dealer to check the auto trany fluid level. This is just plain silly and sounds like a cash grab to me. Does anyone know how or where one would check the fluid level, must be on the transmission itself, maybe a filler plug etc. ?

Dave

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
NA 2011 Fortes do not show to have a 4-spd auto tranny, all Forte's are supposed to have 6-spd autotrannys (at least those that don't have manuals...LoL). Even the Kia 2011 service manual only has a section for the 6-spd and no 4-spd auto is listed.

Having said that...if you have a 2011 Forte the owners manual doesn't even show a dipstick location (although they did leave a section in the manual that says to check the tranny fluid with the dipstick).
It would appear that Kia has followed suit with many of the other manufacturers in not providing a dipstick to check the tranny fluid with -- probably need to pull a plug while the engine is HOT and running in park to check the fluid level. Most manufacturers request that you take your car in for tranny fluid checking because the average owner does not know how to properly do this with a plug. If it is a filler/level plug it should be near the converter - on either side of the converter facing the engine...I'm guessing based on the GM trannys I've dealt with that are like this (no dipstick).

Personally I like the dipstick...but truth is I've never had one of my Kia's autotrannys go bad -- since 2000!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a 6 spd auto. My bad. Once I have a chance to get the car inside i'll do some checking the trany for some type of filler plug. Does anyone here have access to a shop manual as that would save me some time.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
Kia Global Information System (KGIS)

Go to this site, register for access, and you can look at the Kia service information (manuals) for all models of Kias. Very nice site...includes recalls (campaigns) and TSPs too! Super nice of Kia to make this available!!!

In fact this is off the website:

Look under Auto tranny, hydraulic system, Fluid:

Remove the eyebolt (A).
Eyebolt tightening torque:
34.3 ~ 44.1 N.m (3.5 ~ 4.5 kgf.m, 25.3 ~ 32.6 lb-ft)
Always replace the gasket of the eyebolt use new one whenever loosening eyebolt.
2.Add ATF SP-IV 700cc to the ATF injection hole.

3.Start the engine. (Don’t step on brake and accelerator simultaneously.
4.Confirm that the temperature of the A/T oil temperature sensor is 50~60°C(122~140°F) with the GDS.
5.Shift the select lever slowly from “P” to “D”, then “D” to “P” and repeat one more at idle.
Keep on each speed position more than 2 sec.
6.Lift the vehicle, then remove the oil level plug (A) from the valve body cover.

At this time, the vehicle must be at a level state.
7.If the oil flows out of the overflow plug in thin steady stream, the oil level is correct.
Then finish the procedure and tighten the oil plug.
Oil level check (excess or shortage) method
• Excess: Oil flows out in thick stream.
• Shortage: No oil flows out of the overflow plug.
If there is no damage at the automatic transaxle and the oil cooler, the oil cooler hose, transaxle case, valve body tightening state are normal, ATF must drip out after performing above 1 to 7 procedures. After performing above 1 to 7 procedures, if the oil doesn’t drip out, inspect the automatic transaxle assembly.
Replace the gasket of the oil level plug and use new one whenever loosening the oil level plug.
Oil level plug tightening torque:
34.3 ~ 44.1 N.m (3.5 ~ 4.5 kgf.m, 25.3 ~32.6 lb-ft)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
oh really, they replaced a simple dipstick with this..... :mad:
It is becoming quite common on new cars...I hate it too...LoL! The first '00 Chevy Malibu I inspected took me 40 minutes to realize there just wasn't a tranny dipstick...LoL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.