Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my forte will turn over but will not idle for longer than 30 seconds. when it does idle that long it is very jumpy and rough. I had to disconnect the battery yesterday morning for another issue that was solved then this started after I reconnected the battery. I have full electrical power, started out with no warnings or check engine light, then the engine light came on and now back off again. what could be causing this?
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
Why did you disconnect the battery and for how long was it disconnected?

Can you hook up a scanner and pull the stored code?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
One quick thing to check is the throttle body. Make sure it’s clean. The computer will compensate for a dirty throttle body but it’s possible the computer was reset with the battery disconnected for so long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did you figure it out? My daughters roommate has the exact same thing going on after the battery was disconnected.

my forte will turn over but will not idle for longer than 30 seconds. when it does idle that long it is very jumpy and rough. I had to disconnect the battery yesterday morning for another issue that was solved then this started after I reconnected the battery. I have full electrical power, started out with no warnings or check engine light, then the engine light came on and now back off again. what could be causing this?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
39 Posts
First gen Forte's have a tendency to thro a code for MAP sensor when you disconnect the battery. Relearn idle by cycling key about 50 times and drive it a couple miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok interesting. She said hers is a push button start so I’m not sure how to cycle the key that way. Once the car starts it will rough idle for about 15 seconds and then just shuts off. Will giving it a little gas help keep it going? They are afraid to do too much and doing this from a distance is tough.

First gen Forte's have a tendency to thro a code for MAP sensor when you disconnect the battery. Relearn idle by cycling key about 50 times and drive it a couple miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok interesting. She said hers is a push button start so I’m not sure how to cycle the key that way. Once the car starts it will rough idle for about 15 seconds and then just shuts off. Will giving it a little gas help keep it going? They are afraid to do too much and doing this from a distance is tough.
you have a push button start on a 2011?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, they were just having the same issue as the original poster who has the 2011. The kids weren’t sure what year theirs was.

But after running the car and giving it some gas it corrected the rough idle. Once the car was warm it is running smooth again. They took a drive around the block and it got better and better the more they went. No more issues starting or idle. Interesting that the battery disconnect would do that to the car.

you have a push button start on a 2011?

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, they were just having the same issue as the original poster who has the 2011. The kids weren’t sure what year theirs was.

But after running the car and giving it some gas it corrected the rough idle. Once the car was warm it is running smooth again. They took a drive around the block and it got better and better the more they went. No more issues starting or idle. Interesting that the battery disconnect would do that to the car.
First gen's have an issue with that for sure. Should have been a recall or software update long ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts