Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Kia was leaking oil and ticking. Kia repaired the short block under warranty but 2 days later the speedometer went crazy then the car died. They told us it was the engine control module that failed.
What did they do to cause the ecm to fail as they told us it was quite unusual for this to happen. They replace the ecm with a used one (which took 2 weeks to get from BC)and now it has failed again.
What did the tech's screw up in my car to make this happen? Did they pinch a wire somewhere? Please HELP me figure this out because Kia is taking no ownership in their mistakes.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
An electrical problem like that can be a NIGHTMARE! It could be anything from a shorted wire to a bent pin in a harness connector.

Good Luck - I hope you get it resolved soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An electrical problem like that can be a NIGHTMARE! It could be anything from a shorted wire to a bent pin in a harness connector.

Good Luck - I hope you get it resolved soon!
Do you think it’s something the mechanics did after they replaced the engine short block? It happened a few days after they did.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
Do you think it’s something the mechanics did after they replaced the engine short block? It happened a few days after they did.
ANYTHING is possible - proving it would be nearly impossible.

I think if the mechanic actually screwed up the electrics it would have showed up at first start up. If you drove it for a few days with no problems then it would be less likely to have been the mechanic doing something wrong - unless you find a wire chaffing because it was improperly placed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You're just gonna have to dig, find & harcore search throughout the engine bay feet of wires.

On YouTube university, there's videos that use short finders & testers. Scanner/analyzer if on hand.

Hope you find it.

My blinkers/ambers parking lights problem isn't severely incapacitating like your ECU but I know the frustration on trying to find the damn gremlins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts