Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order an after market front bumper cover, as mine keeps popping off the fender on the passenger side (broken plastic clips??)
In any case, they want $3000 at the dealership, most of which is painting. I also noticed some weird kind of clips that hold the fog lights in. The plastic tabs apparently slide through a slot on the fog light housing and then these special clips hold them in. Sure wish I knew the car was so cheaply designed when I bought it, but I suppose they are all plastic now.
In any case, does anyone know of a site where one could order a used/painted bumper cover and have it shipped? I am guessing those special clips can be ordered from Kia.
Other than that, does anyone know of any glue or adhesive one could use on the inside of the bumper cover to attach some sort of ring, which could be wired through to the inside of the fender to keep it from popping loose? I had to glue to to the fender as I am afraid it would never come off then.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
But is your bumper cover actually damaged or not? Or is it just the clips? I'm sure you could find a bunch of diagram online.

I think your best bet would be a junkyard. Many of them now have websites and are able to ship parts. Note that shipping on a bumper cover is gonna be quite expensive. Local classifieds sometimes yield good parts too.

As for the glue, I find epoxy works quite well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Top pic is where it cracked when it came loose at this point in the bottom picture. I am not really worried about the crack, if I can figure out a way to keep the cover from popping loose at this point in the bottom picture while driving and hit a bump. I will check out some salvage yards and see if I can come up with something. Thanks.
If I epoxy the bumper cover to the fender here in the second picture, do you think it will hold?

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
My old Tiburon had a crack almost the exact same as the first picture. The epoxy held for about a year.

Concerning holding the bumper cover to the fender...... I don't think it'd hold. At this point you should just find a new bumper cover. You can get them pretty cheap (unpainted) on the internet and then pay a bodyshop to paint it. It would definitely cost under $1k. Or try to find a used one that's already the right color.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old Tiburon had a crack almost the exact same as the first picture. The epoxy held for about a year.

Concerning holding the bumper cover to the fender...... I don't think it'd hold. At this point you should just find a new bumper cover. You can get them pretty cheap (unpainted) on the internet and then pay a bodyshop to paint it. It would definitely cost under $1k. Or try to find a used one that's already the right color.
Ok Thanks. I ordered some epoxy to get me by for a while. Im on SS, so even $1K is going to be rough. Might try to find one unpainted online, and rent a paint sprayer. It might get some dust in it, but be a lot cheaper than paying a body shop. I checked online, and no red covers (except one that would need to be repainted anyway its so f'ed up) online. The bumper does sort of snap in place at the fender, its just that it does not lock. Im going to try the epoxy. Cant hurt. If it dries in the semi-locked position, it hopefully will keep it from popping up on bumps.
It was parked in a garage, and a stray cat got in and knocked over a big 75" TV box that hit the fender and bumper cover in just the right spot.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Have you taken it apart yet to see what's actually causing it to pop off? Is it the bumper retainer? Those can be had for about $15

You can actually get pretty good results with rattle spray paint cans too IF the prep/time is taken and it's done correctly. I spray painted the hood (black) on my old car and it actually looked decent. You'd definitely get better results with a gun though. :D

Let us know how it goes with the epoxy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you taken it apart yet to see what's actually causing it to pop off? Is it the bumper retainer? Those can be had for about $15
It looks to me like the plastic snaps between the bumper and fender and broken. I will look carefully and see if it looks like a part that is replaceable and take a picture of it and post here tomorrow. That would be great if I could fix it for $15. I really dont care about the front crack, the epoxy would fill that.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here are both sides. Nothing LOOKS broken, but it will not stay snapped together View attachment 81427

View attachment 81428
I can see wear marks on the bumper cover where it connects to the teeth of the plastic retainer.

Bumper.jpg

Just enough where they'll slip off the plastic retainer. The retainer appears to be weak too - you can see the teeth are lower.

You might try a new plastic retainer to see if it would hold the bumper cover tighter. That's what I'd do first.

Bumper 1.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Ill order one and try to find a service manual for the car. Havent worked on cars since I was a teenager, so gonna take a while :) I noticed the front of the plastic cover that goes around the tire is broken out in the front too, so looks like it broke too when the cover popped off hitting the pot hole. Appreciate your expertise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked. That bolt is there, but it goes through the wheel well cover into the fender, does not go through or attach to the bumper cover.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Post & upload all your pics before & after & fixes.

My front passenger side bumper corner/by headlight pops out too. I just push it back in with my knee.

It's the holding clips. They got weak & worn out. Eventually gonna either order that holding brackets for both side from Ebay, bee on the lookout at the local junk/salvage yard or gonna have to use JB Weld steel & reinforce the clips.

It's in the 50's- 40's where I'm at in Tx. Too damn cold & raining.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, it looks like I am not getting it fixed. The two parts I need are $14 and $39, but they want $210 total with shipping. They can KMA.
I hate ordering from ebay, but looks like that is my next step. I always get ripped off there.
EDIT: Local Kia dealership is ordering the parts for me. $70 for both, including shipping and tax. Will let you know how it goes.
If anyone has a real service manual, can you tell me if the fender liner is held on with screws/bolts or those stupid plastic snap retainers? I cant tell from the funky pictures of the manual online. Thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's screws & clips. You have to go slow & in a good mood.

Don't know how many times I've been in a mood then only to take it out on something I'm trying to fix/DIY, ends up costing double.

It's screws/bolts then careful but assertive pulling.

The rear bumper is easier than the front. The rear bumper cover is already open/exposed & readily accessible to remove any screws & clips.

The front bumper cover is a hassel cause you have to get in there without getting annoyed & irritated due to the fragility & durability of the plastic clips & it being the front can easily break something else.

Helps if one jacks up the car remove both wheels, fender wheel wells then can have wiggle room to get in there & feel around for releases/what's keeping from releasing. One doesn't have to jack up the car. Makes it easy to get inside & remove fogs,. Removing headlights helps alot.

After the 1st time it gets easier, still a hassel though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not replaceing the bumper cover. I dont care about the crack. I am replacing the fender liner (that is what I need to know about), and the thing with clips that the front bumper cover clips into by the front passenger fender. I think that is just two screws, but havent looked real close. Its the fender liner I dont get. The diagram just shows one screw and one retainer, but I know there are more than that.

If I EVER get another car, its going to be an old 70's model made out of metal with real American screws and a rebuilt engine and transmission. When I bought this car I never imagined the whole car was made of plastic.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Davenir, It's been a long time since I last removed a 2010 forte front bumper cover...but I think I remember there was an anchor bolt holding the bumper cover on each side in the wheel well. I think your bumper cover is missing the bolt tabs. Your picture doesn't show the very rear of the cover where the bolt goes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your front bumper cover can be fixed. You can DIY or take it to an automotive body & paint repair shop.

Belive me, I've seen & taken in 100x worse body damges that have been fixed to brand new & one cant even tell it was fixed.

If you get if fixed, you have a back up front bumper cover. Just cover & wrap it with a clean (from the thrift store) bed sheet & keep away from any pets & kids.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cars for decades have been made all plastic & throw away parts. It's done on purposely. Yeah, I miss the 70's, 80's 90's & some 2000 cars.

I miss the sold all metal glove boxes, dashes, center consoles, gas tank doors, interior door panels/trims, A pillars, rear pillars & moldings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts