Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum. Seems like a lot of good people here. I have a 2012 forte ex with the 2.0 MPI engine. It's suffering from piston slap (cylinder number #3 is heavily scored) and it's not covered by the recall. I know there are certain dealerships out there that will replace this motor under the recall if pushed hard enough. I'm just wondering if any others have had the MPI motor replaced free of charge under the GDI recall. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada so anywhere in the GTA will work for me. I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death but any information or help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
Hey STEELMAN, sorry to hear you got one of the bad 2.0 NUs. Another User posted in this link posted that he's undergoing the recall for the 2.0L NU. Looks like he's been having trouble getting it done but apparently they're covering it under warranty. I'd look at another dealership for a second opinion.

Curious question, Are they agreeing that the motor is breaking? Any specific reason why they won't cover it under the recall?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for replying Harry. They won't cover the motor because it's not a GDI. This really has nothing to do with the piston slap. Both the GDI and MPI motor share the same short block and the only real difference is the way the fuel is delivered. Seems like semantics to me but I have heard that other people have had their MPI engines replaced free of charge, I'm just asking if I could get information on which dealerships are doing this in the GTA.

As far as proof, I have done a borescope and they have the results. It clearly shows excessive wear. I've been working on cars for over 40 years including 3 full frame off restorations and the answers I get from the dealership are totally ridiculous. I may have born at night but it wasn't last night

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank for replying Harry. They won't cover the motor because it's not a GDI. This really has nothing to do with the piston slap. Both the GDI and MPI motor share the same short block and the only real difference is the way the fuel is delivered. Seems like semantics to me but I have heard that other people have had their MPI engines replaced free of charge, I'm just asking if I could get information on which dealerships are doing this in the GTA.

As far as proof, I have done a borescope and they have the results. It clearly shows excessive wear. I've been working on cars for over 40 years including 3 full frame off restorations and the answers I get from the dealership are totally ridiculous. I may have born at night but it wasn't last night
The most recent recall from December covers 423,000 2.4L MPI engines, including in the 2012-13 Forte so that may be what you've heard about. I can't imagine a dealer (for any brand) doing an engine replacement on a non-recall car that's out of warranty at no charge to the customer. Who would be paying for it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quite possibly, but I don't think so. There have been some ex models that received new motors and as far as I'm aware they only came with the 2.0 MPI

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update for those interested. Took the car to the dealer for an "official" diagnosis. Surprise, surprise, it's suffering from piston slap. Mechanic recommeded a new short block. To make a long story short, service advisor wants nothing to due with it.(out of warrany) so I contacted Kia Canada and they're sending the district parts and service manager over to the dealership to talk to the service advisor. Hopefully this will be in my favour and Kia will foot the bill for this obvious manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,426 Posts
Just an update for those interested. Took the car to the dealer for an "official" diagnosis. Surprise, surprise, it's suffering from piston slap. Mechanic recommeded a new short block. To make a long story short, service advisor wants nothing to due with it.(out of warrany) so I contacted Kia Canada and they're sending the district parts and service manager over to the dealership to talk to the service advisor. Hopefully this will be in my favour and Kia will foot the bill for this obvious manufacturing defect.
Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
Please keep us updated on this. I think KIA SHOULD have to replace it personally. I've never worked as a mechanic, but have been pulling the wrenches on my own cars for damned near 50 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Chuzz, I'll write back when I hear something. I have the district parts and service manager involved now. Should be interesting. Like you I've been wrenching over 4 decades along with 1/4 mile drags in the summer and snowmobile racing in the winter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They are probably sending somebody to confirm if the failure mode of your engine is similar to the many recalled engines. Kia/Hyundai has faced some pretty serious criticism by regulators, not to mention massive fines, for dragging their heels on identifying engines in need of recall, and actually issuing the recalls. So they are probably looking more closely at engine failures of non-recalled engines to confirm the failure mode, so they can identify if further recalls are needed. Whether they cover your repairs or not will likely depend on whether your engine failed the same way that recalled engines have. Hopefully this all works out in your favor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The engine technically didn't fail. Car is still running and driving. The ticking is just getting louder and louder and it's only a matter of time before the engine blows up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update as promised. Car was diagnosed with piston slap for the second time, but this time at a more cooperative dealership. Test was done at 8:00 am and by 2:30 pm was approved by Kia Canada for a new short block. No muss, no fuss. I'll get a call from the service advisor in a couple of days to set things up. I'll have to pay for a new timing set and a few incidentals but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. To others in the same boat, good luck and persevere. 7

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,426 Posts
Just an update as promised. Car was diagnosed with piston slap for the second time, but this time at a more cooperative dealership. Test was done at 8:00 am and by 2:30 pm was approved by Kia Canada for a new short block. No muss, no fuss. I'll get a call from the service advisor in a couple of days to set things up. I'll have to pay for a new timing set and a few incidentals but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. To others in the same boat, good luck and persevere. 7
That's good to hear!

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi my name is Linda.
i have a 2012 forte ex. I didn't buy it new I bought it from my cousin. My car wont start. at one time when I started the car it would fire up right away. Then i would be at a stop light or sliwingvdi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi my name is Linda.
i have a 2012 forte ex. I didn't buy it new I bought it from my cousin. My car wont start. at one time when I started the car it would fire up right away. Then i would be at a stop light or sliwingvdi
Hi my name is Linda.
Hi Linda, a car not starting could be many things. Does it turn over? If it was me I would check the battery first. Are you getting spark? Really hard to give you an answer over the internet. Maybe try and find a mechanic in your area that will look at it. Sorry for not being much help

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
Hi my name is Linda.
Just hijack an unrelated post instead of creating your own. You were asked a bunch of questions when you posted a month ago that were never answered. Maybe try a new post or replying to the old one with answers to the questions.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts