Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi my name is Linda.
i have a 2012 forte ex. I didn't buy it new I bought it from my cousin. My car wont start. WI started the car it would fire up right away. Then i would be at a stop light or slowing down and my car would not go. it was only until it felt like something clicked and then it was fine. I HAVE BEEN GOING THROHGH ALOT OF OIL & SMOKE WAS ALSO COMING FROM THE PLACE YOU PUT OIL IN. MY CAR USE TO GET UP & GO NOW IT'S SLUGISH. SINCE I CANT DRIVE IT I CANT TAKE IT ANYWERE. I DUDNT KNIW SBOUT A RECALL AM I TO LATE TO HAVE IT LOOKED AT

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
Could try replying to your own post from a month ago. People asked a bunch of questions. Sounds like it jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Won't know until it's scanned for codes. Run your VIN through nhtsa.com/recalls and see if your VIN has the recall open. If it does then take it to the dealership and see if the issues apply to the recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just hijack an unrelated post instead of creating your own. You were asked a bunch of questions when you posted a month ago that were never answered. Maybe try a new post or replying to the old one with answers to the questions.
MY APLOGIES I GET SIDE TRACKED SO EASY I KNOW IT HAS FUEL AND SPARK BUT MY COMPRESSION IS LOW.
Could try replying to your own post from a month ago. People asked a bunch of questions. Sounds like it jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Won't know until it's scanned for codes. Run your VIN through nhtsa.com/recalls and see if your VIN has the recall open. If it does then take it to the dealership and see if the issues apply to the recall.
I SCANNED IT A D THERE WERE NO CODES

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
MY APLOGIES I GET SIDE TRACKED SO EASY I KNOW IT HAS FUEL AND SPARK BUT MY COMPRESSION IS LOW.
I SCANNED IT A D THERE WERE NO CODES
Still sounds like the timing jumped a tooth or the engine is sludged. The 1st generation Fortes sludge really easily from what I've seen. Motor sounds like it's totaled to me but a dealership or shop could give a better idea. You could Google if there's a mobile car diagnostics service in your area that could come out and look at the vehicle. Make sure you check that recall. You can also run your VIN through Kias website: https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/en/recalls.html/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
MY APLOGIES I GET SIDE TRACKED SO EASY I KNOW IT HAS FUEL AND SPARK B
Just to clear things up. When I checked my V.I.N. for engine recalls there were none. This was a goodwill gesture by Kia Canada. I got the ball rolling by writing a firm but nice letter to Kia Canada outlining the inherent issues with the 2.0 engine along with a copy of my borescope and oil change receipts. From there I received a case number and after a few back and forth emails two horoscopes performed by two dealerships was approved for a new short block. The key is to not take no for an answer, be pleasant but firm and have your facts together.

Another update. Service advisor called today telling me short block arrived today. Waiting now for a few odds and ends to arrive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update as promised. Car was diagnosed with piston slap for the second time, but this time at a more cooperative dealership. Test was done at 8:00 am and by 2:30 pm was approved by Kia Canada for a new short block. No muss, no fuss. I'll get a call from the service advisor in a couple of days to set things up. I'll have to pay for a new timing set and a few incidentals but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. To others in the same boat, good luck and persevere. 7
Just an update as promised. Car was diagnosed with piston slap for the second time, but this time at a more cooperative dealership. Test was done at 8:00 am and by 2:30 pm was approved by Kia Canada for a new short block. No muss, no fuss. I'll get a call from the service advisor in a couple of days to set things up. I'll have to pay for a new timing set and a few incidentals but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. To others in the same boat, good luck and persevere. 7
Hi there, I'm very happy to hear that KIA came through for you!! I too have the 2.0 L in my Forte5 EX and have now been noticing the infamous ticking noise with approx 93,000 km. My engine is NOT technically on the recall list but it should be according to what I've been coming across in my searches. I've talked to my Dealer and they just say say "oh you must be one of the lucky ones" and walk away not wanting to answer any of my questions. I was wondering what kind of mileage you had on yours, also was your vehicle from Korea or US? I'm not sure if this is another line to blow me off but was told elsewhere only vehicles from the US are on recall. (Mine is from Korea). Also to note, I have the hatchback, NOT the sedan which seems to add the confusion (not sure why) as they both have the same engine. I see that there are class action cases out in your neck of the woods but not here on the west coast.
I would appreciate it very much if you have any more valuable input seeing that you were able to get your engine replaced.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
My 2012 Forte Ex 4 door with 175,000 kms was not on the recall list either. I had to fight for it. My serial number starts with a K so I'm sure it was built in Korea. It could have been built on the moon, it doesn't matter, the 2.0 MPI has a proven manufacturing defect. The first dealer I went to wanted nothing to do with it. They gladly took my money to check it out but all they said was "it needs a new short block, have a nice day". I next e mailed KIA of Canada a letter and started a case file. I was instructed to take the car to another dealership for a second test. Brought the car in at 8am with all my oil change recepits (they didn't even look at them, and they didn't matter) and by 2pm was approved for a new short block free of charge. This was in late July. Car is finally going in next week for the heart transplant. All I can suggest is don't take no for an answer. It can be a hassle but don't give up. Find a dealer in your area that's more cooperative. It took me a few phone calls to dealers in my area before I found someone I could work with. Hope this helps and Good Luck

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
Definitely check with Kia directly if you have engine knock. I received notification from Kia that my '17 Optima and '17 Sorento now have lifetime warranties on the 2.4 short block! This might be the case now with the Forte 2.0 too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not sure about an across the board recall, at least not in Canada. I think it has more to do with having your facts straight and not giving up. All in all I have to say it wasn't that big of a hassle. If you're mechanically inclined perhaps buy a borescope and check the cylinders yourself, document your findings and send them off to head office along with a friendly but firm letter requesting a new short block. Just don't give up and it helps to find an understanding dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure about an across the board recall, at least not in Canada. I think it has more to do with having your facts straight and not giving up. All in all I have to say it wasn't that big of a hassle. If you're mechanically inclined perhaps buy a borescope and check the cylinders yourself, document your findings and send them off to head office along with a friendly but firm letter requesting a new short block. Just don't give up and it helps to find an understanding dealer.
After almost 4 months of being approved by Kia Canada for a new short block, my car has finally gone in today. Dealership even put me in a free courtesy car till it's completed. I'll let you guys and gals know how things went after I get it back.

Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
After almost 4 months of being approved by Kia Canada for a new short block, my car has finally gone in today. Dealership even put me in a free courtesy car till it's completed. I'll let you guys and gals know how things went after I get it back.

Cheers.
Got the car back on Saturday from the dealership that did the engine swap. Very good job, new engine is super quiet and steady. No shaking or ticking. lets hope it lasts.

Cheers

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
Got the car back on Saturday from the dealership that did the engine swap. Very good job, new engine is super quiet and steady. No shaking or ticking. lets hope it lasts.

Cheers
Good to hear everything worked out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so mad about this. My 2012 Forte EX has started sounding like it's starting piston slap here at 85k miles. I'm going to talk to the dealer about this and see I can get them to fix it. I don't have high hopes but I see some people have been getting if fixed. Rotten freaking lemon engine should have been recalled. Did anyone in the US have luck getting their engines replaced?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Bummer, are you the 1st owner? Has the engine oil always been at the full level? Also, since the engine & its parts are made of aluminum cold temperatures does affect it.

Cold temps contract metal & by the time the engine warms & heats up the piston has been rattling & trying to catch up to expand from the heat by then it's been skirt slapping. Eventually it will go away but too many of these can cause damages.

When we had 20° water pipe busting, bridges/overpasses closed & people dying from the extreme severe freeze for 2 weeks. My Kia sounded really loud af. I immediately turned it off & only turned it on when warm enough even if it was for an hr or 2 to keep the fluids from coagulation & getting really thick.

I think I only turned it on maybe 3 times. Never drove it. Too damn scared to cause more serious problems.

Weather warmed up & the sound went away. But damn it , aluminum engines effing suck.

Hopefully it's not the dreaded oem ticking grenade syndrome of death.

Let us know what the problem is & fix after the diagnosis?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm so mad about this. My 2012 Forte EX has started sounding like it's starting piston slap here at 85k miles. I'm going to talk to the dealer about this and see I can get them to fix it. I don't have high hopes but I see some people have been getting if fixed. Rotten freaking lemon engine should have been recalled. Did anyone in the US have luck getting their engines replaced?
I feel your pain. Not sure what it's like in the states but up here in the great white north it really wasn't that big a hassle getting Kia to replace my short block free of charge. It did take about six months for the time I started the claim 'till the engine was replaced but I'm not complaining. First thing I did was write a nice letter to Kia Canada regarding my concerns. This opened up a file and from there, some investigating on the problem. Make sure you're at a dealership that's willing to help, have all oil change receipts and don't take no for an answer. I had to go to two different dealerships before I found a sympathetic service manager. Good luck and don't lose faith. Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bummer, are you the 1st owner? Has the engine oil always been at the full level? Also, since the engine & its parts are made of aluminum cold temperatures does affect it.

Cold temps contract metal & by the time the engine warms & heats up the piston has been rattling & trying to catch up to expand from the heat by then it's been skirt slapping. Eventually it will go away but too many of these can cause damages.

When we had 20° water pipe busting, bridges/overpasses closed & people dying from the extreme severe freeze for 2 weeks. My Kia sounded really loud af. I immediately turned it off & only turned it on when warm enough even if it was for an hr or 2 to keep the fluids from coagulation & getting really thick.

I think I only turned it on maybe 3 times. Never drove it. Too damn scared to cause more serious problems.

Weather warmed up & the sound went away. But damn it , aluminum engines effing suck.

Hopefully it's not the dreaded oem ticking grenade syndrome of death.

Let us know what the problem is & fix after the diagnosis?
Yeah, the sound comes and goes. It's pretty quite when it's 60 degrees or warmer but here in MInnesota it's colder than that for a good 5-6 months of the year. It does seem the warmer out it gets the quieter it gets. But it seems as time goes on it gets louder in the winter.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts