Kia Forte Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well update on my issue is that my mechanic (not a dealer) checked it out. He seems to think it's actually lifter tick. He said it might be worth trying Risoline in it since it's not that loud and quiet when warm. He thinks it could just be a sticky lifter and Risoline might clean it up. If that doesn't work then it's going to be a new lifter.

Probably $1200 fix but better than $7k.for an engine.

·
Administrator
693 Posts
Might want to do a Seafoam treatment. I've done it in multiple cars and always had good results, including quieting up lifters. I didn't read back through the thread, but are you using an OEM oil filter?

Take a look at this video about Seafoam (love this guy's videos BTW, completely fact-based and unbiased tests):

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might want to do a Seafoam treatment. I've done it in multiple cars and always had good results, including quieting up lifters. I didn't read back through the thread, but are you using an OEM oil filter?

Take a look at this video about Seafoam (love this guy's videos BTW, completely fact-based and unbiased tests):

Yeah I have seen similar videos with Risoline also Seafoam. Granted Seafoam can also be put in the fuel. There's a good one where a guy put Risoline in a VW Bug that sounded like it was the diesel version but it wasn't and basically couldn't hear a tick afterward.

I would not put that Lucas treatment in anything with hydrolic lifters though. That truck probably has older style lifters though.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,189 Posts

Watching this video made me cringe!!! At 3:40 you can see he's spraying directly into a TERRIBLY gummed up throttle body! The right thing to do would be to remove the throttle body and clean it properly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're that concerned about it, perhaps look into installing a block heater. Plug it in at night and your engine will be nice and toasty the next morning
Yeah, used to always uses block heaters on cars back in the 80's. When it gets -30F at times like it does here in MN (and Canada too) cars can be hard to start and probably is more harsh on the engine.ee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh..man. Took it back the mechanic and it's definitely the rod bearing failure he's saying.

:mad::mad::mad::(

Now I'm without a vehicle and no way to pay for a new engine. Sounds $7k to for a new engine, mechanic is looking into seeing if he can find something cheaper.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
725 Posts
I'm with Acura_Kal on this one. Make sure you are using good oil and a factory filter, and run it till she blows. Who knows - you could get way more miles out of it than you think. Kia has also been giving out engines left and right to people with this issue - run it until it gets worse, then take it in once it gets bad. Hopefully they can do something for you then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Oh..man. Took it back the mechanic and it's definitely the rod bearing failure he's saying.

:mad::mad::mad::(

Now I'm without a vehicle and no way to pay for a new engine. Sounds $7k to for a new engine, mechanic is looking into seeing if he can find something cheaper.
If it was me I'd take the car to a credible Kia dealer in your area and ask them to scope the cylinders. If the walls show signs of wear you MAY get a new short block free of charge. That's the procedure I did and I have a brand new short block courtesy of Kia Canada. Not sure if you're the original owner but I think that has something to do with Kia's decision whether to replace free of charge

41 - 51 of 51 Posts