Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
6,134 Posts
Hi. I'm doing my first oil change on my new purchase. Full Synthetic how many miles are recommended in between oil changes?
mjray, Do you have the owner's manual in the glovebox? There is a smaller book with the owner's manual that has the maintenance schedule in it. This book also has pages for you to record your oil changes. I have always used the "severe use" schedule - I recommend the severe use schedule for older vehicles.

This is for the 2019-up Forte 2.0 - yours will look something like this:

Font Material property Number Parallel Screenshot

·
Administrator
2010 Koup SX
767 Posts
I do my oil changes every ~5k miles (8k kilometers) with fully synthetic. Interesting thing: when I was at the Hyundai dealer the other week for my wife's 2022 Hyundai Kona's first oil change, they had a sign up saying 2020+ models need their oil changed at 8k kilos (5k miles) and older models every 6k kilos (3,750 miles). Maybe for the latter it's for conventional oil, but they definitely require synthetic for the newer models.

It's always a good idea to check the status of your oil on the dipstick too (is it super dark, smell gassy, etc?).

ALSO! Be sure to use an OEM Kia oil filter!!! If not OEM, at least a quality brand like Mobil1 or other.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,230 Posts
I do my oil changes every ~5k miles (8k kilometers) with fully synthetic. Interesting thing: when I was at the Hyundai dealer the other week for my wife's 2022 Hyundai Kona's first oil change, they had a sign up saying 2020+ models need their oil changed at 8k kilos (5k miles) and older models every 6k kilos (3,750 miles). Maybe for the latter it's for conventional oil, but they definitely require synthetic for the newer models.

It's always a good idea to check the status of your oil on the dipstick too (is it super dark, smell gassy, etc?).

ALSO! Be sure to use an OEM Kia oil filter!!! If not OEM, at least a quality brand like Mobil1 or other.
OEM filters are high-quality and are so cheap I have a hard time imagining someone using something else for any reason other than convenience.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
108 Posts
I do my oil changes at every 4,000 miles with full synthetic oil. I don't really pay attention to what brand I get but my last one was Castrol Edge. The first gen Forte is susceptible to engine sludge and I take no risks when it comes to oil changes on this engine especially when I'm not driving it very hard.

My last oil change got an OEM filter but I also have used Carquest filters without an issue(only because I got them for free). I do not recommend K&N oil filters as they tend to be more restrictive than other filters.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
914 Posts
I have a 2017 Forte LX 2.0 and have done every oil change on it since new. I use Mobil1 oil and a Mobil1 filter and change my oil every 10,000 miles. I have had ZERO engine issues other than having to change a coil pack. That's NOT oil related. Everyone has an opinion, so I'd just suggest you do what's best for you and your wallet.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I do my oil changes at every 4,000 miles with full synthetic oil. I don't really pay attention to what brand I get but my last one was Castrol Edge. The first gen Forte is susceptible to engine sludge and I take no risks when it comes to oil changes on this engine especially when I'm not driving it very hard.

My last oil change got an OEM filter but I also have used Carquest filters without an issue(only because I got them for free). I do not recommend K&N oil filters as they tend to be more restrictive than other filters.
What did the K&N engine filter do to the 1st gen?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
108 Posts
What did the K&N engine filter do to the 1st gen?
It seemed slightly noisier than usual but that might have just been me. The technicians I worked with said they felt the K&N filters were too restrictive. Additionally the oil seemed just as dirty as it was with a $3 Carquest Red filter at similar or the same mileage as my last oil change. Wasn't worth it considering the K&N was about $15+ normally but I had a promo). May take it to Kia for its next oil change since I don't work in a shop anymore and don't really want to do it on the ground. $65 isn't a great deal at Kia but whatever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2022 Forte GT-Line
Schedule say 8000 you start getting warning around 7500
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil it clams 20,000:sneaky:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter it also clams 20,000:(
but I'm going to stick with the 8000 lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts