Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Forte 2.4l AT 90k miles

When I’m driving and I turn left I get a squealing noise. I get a quiet slower squeal when my wheel is straight. Turning right stops the squealing.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Without being able to look at your car to diagnose...any chance it is the serpentine belt doing the squealing? Does it squeal all the time (Neutral/idle, driving forward, backing up)? Is it louder when the engine is cold (first start)? Does the squeal change with engine RPM? Does the squeal change depending on how fast -or slow - you turn the steering wheel? What happens to the squeal when you turn the wheels ALL the way to the left (NOT moving, in idle)?

If it squeals at idle in neutral shoot a little bit of WD40 on the serpentine belt (a quick shot only!). Does this change the tone or volume of the squeal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn’t make noise on idle. It’s not as bad when it’s 70 degrees, very loud on days it’s 90. Squeal is louder the faster I’m im going and how much I’m turning. No noise moving the wheel parked.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Wheel bearing? Does the squealing seem to come more from one side of the car - left or right? After driving car check the temperature of the center of each front wheel by touching them...is one hotter then the other?

Have you checked the brake pads? Does applying the brakes have any effect on the squeal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My front brakes definitely need to be replaced, they don’t squeal though, they make more of a grinding sound.
The squeal is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'm shooting in the dark here...When the squealing is the loudest, at speed, in a turn...when you apply the brakes is there any difference in the sound? Does it quiet a bit? I'm trying to determine if your noise is related to the wheel bearings.

Have you taken it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it’s the loudest when turning sharp at like 20mph. When it’s cool outside it doesn’t squeal as much. Braking while turning I hear the squeal from turning and the separate grinding noise from the brakes.
Sometimes it chirps like a worn belt sometimes it’s a constant squeal.

haven’t taken it to a mechanic yet

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Any chance it's the metal brake pad warning indicator!?!? If the pads are thin the warning indicator will be rubbing on the rotor.

Grinding noise from brakes is NOT good...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I’m pretty sure it just has the wear indicator on the pads. My brakes act fine haven’t had any issues and the rotors look almost new

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
832 Posts
You can remove the engine belt & manually spin/rotate each bearing & listen for squealing. You can feel if the bearings/pulleys are wearing out & need to replace. If money is tight, you can buy a stainless steel/metal turkey injector. Fill the bore with your choice of bearing grease & inject into the center/bearing if afflicted pulley/bearing as a temporary fix.

Jack/lift the car turn by hand the wheels & listen. Check for any play/wiggle. There shouldn't be any from the rotors/bearings/hubs. While the car is on jacks. Remove the wheel & check if the wheel components are in need of replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts