Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've checked past threads and so far nobody has updated with an answer. About 15 minutes into driving, my car squeals so loudly -- coming from the drivers front side, doesn't seem to stop or even get worse with the brakes, and then after being parked for six hours later at work, it'll squeal the entire way home, whether I'm doing 35 or 60. I'm worried it's going to be a safety issue but I also don't want to take it in and get charged a lot of stuff for digging around and wrong answers (grad student, super low income).

The sound is EXACTLY what is in the video posted here:
Almost sounds like a tea kettle when it's ready.

I've only got 50,000 miles or so but the car is about 8 years old now. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
I've listened to the video several times with the speakers blasting and I don't hear a squeal.

Kia2013forte - you need to take off your front wheels and take a close look at the brake pads - see if the brake wear indicators are rubbing on the rotors. When the brake wear indicators rub on the rotor (because the pads are worn) they make a high pitched squealing noise.

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

Light Sleeve Font Auto part Automotive wheel system

If this is not causing the squeal you need to start diagnosing yourself if you don't want to take it to a shop:

Is it engine related - when the noise starts downshift the transmission one gear. This will cause the engine to rev higher - does the noise change? If yes look at the serpentine belt, idler pulleys, water pump, and alternator pulley. If no then it has to do with the drivetrain - axle bearings or something rubbing that shouldn't be. Does the noise change pitch with speed changes?

Another possibility for a squeal is a vacuum leak - inspect all vacuum hoses for cracks or damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts