Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here and I was hoping to get a few answers on my issue. I have a 2013 Forte Koup SX with a rear spoiler and neither the window brake light or the spoiler light work. I noticed the plug for the window light was completely removed and the spoiler light was wired into that. Is there a way I can have both working again? From my understanding the spoiler light is an LED strip type? So it shouldn't exactly be out. I checked fuses and they are good. Could it be faulty wiring? I was also hoping someone could point me in the right direction into finding the wiring and plug for the back window one so I can have them both working again. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Check the voltage where they connected the LED light and see if you have 12V. If you do, plug it back into the light in the window and you will at least have a working 3rd brake light. If you don't have 12V, you'll have to check fuses again.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
Have you re-checked the wiring where they spliced into the 3rd brake light wire? Maybe it has come loose.

When I installed my spoiler, I searched for a good 2 months to try to find a "plug and play" solution for this, but instead I had to splice into the 3rd brake light wire. So what they did on yours instead of splicing is cut the socket off completely? If so you'll need to get a similar socket and re-wire it back in. You could visit a junkyard and just snip one off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the socket wasn't taken out and is just shoved way up in there as its not in the housing. I could see where it was spliced for the spoiler but I did not want to keep pulling but now ill check further. If the socket is there I feel like they could have just left it in the rear window housing and not empty like it is as for the rear spoiler light not working Ill figure that out. Hopefully i dont need a new one. feels hard to find without buying a whole new spoiler. if anyone knows where a replacement led for the spoiler is a link would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
Should be fine to keep pulling until it gets tight. They had to have had it out to splice it. The only reason I see for not leaving the empty socket in the housing is a) they cut it off or b) stupidity. :D

When I had my Tiburon, I had a bunch of burn out LEDs and I looked so long and hard for a replacement light only and was never successful. However, the whole thing usually won't fail. You probably have a loose/broken connection somewhere. Would be interesting to find that socket and put a bulb in it and see if that works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So turns out it's just bad wiring. Will probably rewire soon. I got it to come on and stay on by crimping the wires a bit more. Funny enough turns out they really did remove the whole socket for the back window light. Lol who would do that. Oh well. Don't need it but will find one at a junk yard.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
So turns out it's just bad wiring. Will probably rewire soon. I got it to come on and stay on by crimping the wires a bit more. Funny enough turns out they really did remove the whole socket for the back window light. Lol who would do that. Oh well. Don't need it but will find one at a junk yard.
Glad that you found the problem! It shouldn't be a difficult fix. It's easier to just snip off the socket than to splice into the wiring, that's probably why. It sucks though. I was tempted to just snip the wire myself but decided to splice even though I know I will never really use the 3rd brake light again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. New here and I was hoping to get a few answers on my issue. I have a 2013 Forte Koup SX with a rear spoiler and neither the window brake light or the spoiler light work. I noticed the plug for the window light was completely removed and the spoiler light was wired into that. Is there a way I can have both working again? From my understanding the spoiler light is an LED strip type? So it shouldn't exactly be out. I checked fuses and they are good. Could it be faulty wiring? I was also hoping someone could point me in the right direction into finding the wiring and plug for the back window one so I can have them both working again. Any help is appreciated
Hi,
I had a very similar situation with my 13 Koup. My Spoiler light works but my rear window does not. I also have wiring stuffed into bulb socket and annoyed me and I thought something needed to be wired.
After some investigation I was told the Spoiler is added on at the Port where the ship unloads the cars..hence..Port mod.

The Spoiler light lines up in place of the rear window, replaces, no need for both. The wiring in the bulb port has been rewired to the Spoiler.

Concentrate on which rear light you want, both is redundant.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts