Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I start my car it wont start (Usually after sitting for a couple hours or overnight). But if I try again it starts on the 2nd attempt. It also feels like my car is starting slower compared to before. I don't know if sounds like its the alternator or starter that are faulty or something else?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
Does it turn-over and fail to start, or not even turn over? The reason I ask is because many people "get used" too how long it takes their car to crank before it starts, and when that time increases slightly, they let off the key before it actually starts and when they try again it starts as quick as it normally does. If that's not what's happening, and its not doing anything it could be several things but the most common are usually a failing key switch/lock cylinder/ignition switch (whatever you wanna call it) or the starter. Might be worth getting the battery checked if it starts slower, if its the factory battery and its nearing the end of its service life, that could be the issue all along, i'd start there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sometimes I start my car it wont start (Usually after sitting for a couple hours or overnight). But if I try again it starts on the 2nd attempt. It also feels like my car is starting slower compared to before. I don't know if sounds like its the alternator or starter that are faulty or something else?
I have the same car and get this on occasion. Our car has a push button start and I can't be sure but I think the issue occurs when I don't push down the brake hard enough while pressing the start button, or if I take my foot off too early. The brake is required to tell the car to start the engine but I'm not actually sure if it actually can "stop it" from working but one thought is that perhaps it doesn't allow the petrol to start flowing or maybe it won't provide power to the starter if the brake isn't activated?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Battery, battery, or battery...choose one! Seriously, get your car to a parts house that checks batteries for free and get it checked.

...and check your cables for corrosion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery, battery, or battery...choose one! Seriously, get your car to a parts house that checks batteries for free and get it checked.

...and check your cables for corrosion.
I'm wondering why it would start perfectly fine the second time or third time if it's the battery? If the battery was bad and it used up all it's juice with the first start, wouldn't it also struggle with the second or third, or not start at all?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm wondering why it would start perfectly fine the second time or third time if it's the battery? If the battery was bad and it used up all it's juice with the first start, wouldn't it also struggle with the second or third, or not start at all?
Your logic is valid, however, from experience I have had this same situation - and it turned out to be a defective battery.
Best to have the battery checked (for free). Corrosion can cause it, as can a "dead-spot" in the starter or starter solenoid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your logic is valid, however, from experience I have had this same situation - and it turned out to be a defective battery.
Best to have the battery checked (for free). Corrosion can cause it, as can a "dead-spot" in the starter or starter solenoid.
Makes sense and good to know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts