Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The battery in my Forte 2015 has a parasitic drain at around 1 ampere (measured with multi-meter at battery negative pole connection). All electronics, lights, fans, doors were shut down when I took the measurement.
By pulling out the fuses in under-hood fuse box, I was able to trace the parasitic drain to fuse "B+3", The owner's manual map the "B+3" fuse to Smart Junction Box (Leak Current Autocut Device, Fuse - PDM 2, DR LOCK, SUNROOF).
I then pulled out the sub-fuses (PDM-2, DR LOCK, SUNROOF) in the instrument panel fuse box, none of these cut off the drain current. I think these circuits could be excluded. I am not sure what are the parts in the Leak Current Autocut Device and what else power consumers are in the downstream of it. I couldn't find any useful information from Google.
Could anyone provide advice for the next-step diagnosis? It guess it will also be helpful if the power distribution diagram is available for Forte 2015.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The battery in my Forte 2015 has a parasitic drain at around 1 ampere (measured with multi-meter at battery negative pole connection). All electronics, lights, fans, doors were shut down when I took the measurement.
By pulling out the fuses in under-hood fuse box, I was able to trace the parasitic drain to fuse "B+3", The owner's manual map the "B+3" fuse to Smart Junction Box (Leak Current Autocut Device, Fuse - PDM 2, DR LOCK, SUNROOF).
I then pulled out the sub-fuses (PDM-2, DR LOCK, SUNROOF) in the instrument panel fuse box, none of these cut off the drain current. I think these circuits could be excluded. I am not sure what are the parts in the Leak Current Autocut Device and what else power consumers are in the downstream of it. I couldn't find any useful information from Google.
Could anyone provide advice for the next-step diagnosis? It guess it will also be helpful if the power distribution diagram is available for Forte 2015.

Thank you very much!

Hi, I have detected a 0.7 amp parasitic drain exactly as you have to the B+3 fuse. I also read that that is for the Leak Current Autocut Device. I have been unable to trace this. I have you found any resolution to this issue?

Do you have any aftermarket electronics on your car? I had installed an after market remote start but that doesn't seem to be the issue since the current draw is exactly the same when I disconnect the fusses for that system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I have detected a 0.7 amp parasitic drain exactly as you have to the B+3 fuse. I also read that that is for the Leak Current Autocut Device. I have been unable to trace this. I have you found any resolution to this issue?

Do you have any aftermarket electronics on your car? I had installed an after market remote start but that doesn't seem to be the issue since the current draw is exactly the same when I disconnect the fusses for that system.
No, I don’t hear any suggestion from the forum. I replaced my battery anyways as it was 5 years old. I found the problem still persists, but I could get it under control by turning the front light switch to “off” every night. I am leaving my car in such way as long as the battery won’t drain out in two weeks. I don’t have any aftermarket addition or replacement for electronics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I also just put a new battery in. The old one was getting weak from repeated draining and leaving my wife stranded.

Based on your response, I tried turning the headlight switch to "off" and it made no apparent difference to the current draw with the car off.

I think I'll call the local dealer this week to see if this is a know problem and to see if I can find out what the "Leak Current Autocut Device" is. I'll let you know if I learn anything useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts