Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Forte 5 SX. Recently I noticed rust along the inside
20200313_134948[1].jpg
20200313_134532[1].jpg
20200315_201518.jpg
20200529_145832[1].jpg
lower edge of the hatch. On further examination I discovered the rust is coming from behind the seam sealer at the seam where the outside and inside sheet metal meet. Has anyone else experienced this or similar problems?

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
It's a common place for rust to form, since I'm sure there's always a little bit of water that makes its way in there and sits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but the rust is not on the surface of the hatch door jamb. it is under the seam sealer. It is coming from between inner and outer skins of the hatch. Look closely at the picture where I am peeling off the seam sealer with a knife. You can see it is not 'surface' rust that would result from moisture in the door jamb. It is underneath the seam sealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I have the same car, I just took a look. My car spent 4 winters in New England and has 111,000 miles on it, so rust should show up if it's going to. I don't have any rust there at all. There is a drain right where the rust is showing and you have your finger on it in the photo. Is this clogged? If there has been water sitting in there, it would explain the rust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would remove the inner plastic cover for the hatch and take a look from the inside. It may give you a clue as to what is happening. The cover just pulls off and is easy to reattach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts