Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi We bought a low miles 2015 Kia Forte... love it... but never drive it in the Minnesota winter so we are still on our first set of tires and first OEM battery..... I realize I will need to upgrade both... but there is something that is a mystery to me.....

There is some kind of fuse on the positive terminal on the battery... Will someone tell me what it is, it's function, and how hard is it to replace... Should I carry a spare one with me on trips? Is there a You Tube video that shows how to remove/replace it? In other words, can someone tell me how to replace my battery by myself? I suspect it is pretty intuitive but I thought I would ask first... thanks

PS... any recommendations on all weather tires I should buy for the next set?

Thanks.... Dennis

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts
Hi We bought a low miles 2015 Kia Forte... love it... but never drive it in the Minnesota winter so we are still on our first set of tires and first OEM battery..... I realize I will need to upgrade both... but there is something that is a mystery to me.....

There is some kind of fuse on the positive terminal on the battery... Will someone tell me what it is, it's function, and how hard is it to replace... Should I carry a spare one with me on trips? Is there a You Tube video that shows how to remove/replace it? In other words, can someone tell me how to replace my battery by myself? I suspect it is pretty intuitive but I thought I would ask first... thanks

Thanks.... Dennis
Post a picture of the fuse. Did the original owner add something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... it is not an add on.... this is OEM apparently during two years..... It is a plastic box that opens and inside it is the positive post assembly that has this fuse assembly too..... the picture is not my car but I found it online and it is the same as my car.....
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Machine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks.... I already watched several of the You Tube videos and then read the comments below each video as well.... Sometimes you get some good information or things to look out for.... Now... I have been in the restoration car business since 1971.... so I am not a novice at any of this but when it comes time to replace my battery, I will need to at least be familiar with the process.... and I also investigated a cigarette plug in memory maintainer device as well.... and found mixed results on them from Amazon recommendations..... but the bottom line is that most people simply change the battery and then start up the car and put back all the presets... I don't have many so it is not an issue.... radio the most... I have also found some cars run rough until the computer does one full set of diagnostics.... I have also shut down and restarted some cars several times after installing a new battery and all of them have "straightened out" ..... never failed yet... but... my main concern is being out in the middle of no place and having this positive post fuse fail/blow and wonder if I should order one and keep it in the glove box... just in case.... Anyway..... I am probably just being paranoid..... I did put a trickle charger on this battery for a good ten hours yesterday (car is in a garage) and it did start up real strong..... so I removed the trickle charger as well.... and it will go on my chevy truck that sits outside.... What I didn't like was the valve train / lifter noise that was clunkier than usual..... 35,000 miles and a ten year warranty so I am not real concerned.... and yes, I use the correct oil and filter from Kia... OEM.... bought them in bulk from a CA dealer... but I am sure it just needs to be run down the road..... rambled/babbled... thanks for taking the time to send the link.....

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks.... Dennis
HI Dennis, so not sure if you ever got the answer to your question or not, BUT, that is a fuse for your alternator. If ever your battery doesn't stay charged and there are no issues with the battery or alternator, that is definitely the next step. It's pretty easy to remove. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
718 Posts
Hey Phreaksangel, Thanks for replying to this topic, but it's almost a year and a half old. I don't think Dennis is coming back. It's cool that you explained what that fuse is for and maybe it'll help someone who may be having charging problems. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Phreaksangel, Thanks for replying to this topic, but it's almost a year and a half old. I don't think Dennis is coming back. It's cool that you explained what that fuse is for and maybe it'll help someone who may be having charging problems. (y)
I didn't even look at the date, guess I should've done that to begin with. Thank you for letting me know. If anything, hopefully it will help someone else who has questions about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts