Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this car for my daughter in December 2017 with about 43K miles. In August 2019 the car broke down and needed a new high pressure fuel pump which seem unusual with only 60K miles. So we got it fixed at the dealer under extended warranty. Then in March ( 6 months later) the broke down again and the daeler said it was high-pressure fuel pump. So we are on the third high-pressure fuel pump blew over six months.
I asked the dealer if there is something else causing the High-pressure fuel pumps to fail. The dealer said there is no code so they can’t do anything about it.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cause of the fuel pumps breaking? Does anyone know of a Recall on the high-pressure fuel pump?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Does she regularly let the tank get almost empty and drive with the low fuel light on? The fuel acts as the coolant and lubricant for the pump so driving a lot with the fuel very low causes the pump to run hot and burn out quicker. This is not just a Kia issue but with all modern cars where the pump is in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Although in-tank, low pressure fuel pumps can also fail, there's been somewhat of a history of the external HPFP failures on various Kia/Hyundai GDI vehicles. Nothing significant yet on Forte that I'm aware of, but the night is young. Just one of the collection of reasons I hate GDI.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Although in-tank, low pressure fuel pumps can also fail, there's been somewhat of a history of the external HPFP failures on various Kia/Hyundai GDI vehicles. Nothing significant yet on Forte that I'm aware of, but the night is young. Just one of the collection of reasons I hate GDI.
Good catch, I totally skipped over where he said "High Pressure Pump". I was thinking MPI, not GDI. Thank you for catching my mistake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding so quickly. I talk to my daughter and since I’m paying for the gas she doesn’t let it go below about a quarter tank. I reinforced that she needs to make sure she doesn’t go below a quarter tank before she filled it up. I’m just a little worried that once the warranty runs out it’s gonna fail and it’s a very expensive fix. She currently has about 72,000 miles and the warranty runs out at 100,000 miles

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
... I’m just a little worried that once the warranty runs out it’s gonna fail and it’s a very expensive fix. ...
If there are fuel pump part numbers on the paperwork you received from Kia, post them here and I'll take a look to see if there's any overlap with vehicles flagged as having problems. No idea if anything significant will turn up, but it's worth a try to check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there are fuel pump part numbers on the paperwork you received from Kia, post them here and I'll take a look to see if there's any overlap with vehicles flagged as having problems. No idea if anything significant will turn up, but it's worth a try to check it out.
The high pressure fuel pump part number is 3532 2100. The car showed the same symptoms when the fuel pump failed but the dealer can’t see anything. If the fuel pump fails this will be the third one in less than a year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The high pressure fuel pump part number is 3532 2100. The car showed the same symptoms when the fuel pump failed but the dealer can’t see anything. If the fuel pump fails this will be the third one in less than a year.
Sorry it looks like the part number was incomplete, the number is 35320-2E100

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
… the number is 35320-2E100
I don't see any overlap with that pump and vehicles known to have HPFP issues. No way to know why two of these pumps went bad, with the replacement failing so quickly. Kia should most definitely continue to warranty the current replacement for at least a year (if not longer). Open a case with Kia Corporate it fails again and they do not cover it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts