Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start car this evening. Battery good. Applied jumper cables just in case. Turn key to start and just a slight tick is heard. All fuses appear to be good. All electronics working. It does have an after market remote start that quit working a few months ago. Any ideas what may be wrong ? 100k miles on her. Very reliable until tonight. TIA !

·
Registered
951 Posts
First check to see if the engine will turn over manually at the harmonic balancer bolt. Assuming it does, then jump the starter relay to see if the starter will spin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And where is the starter relay or which one is it ? Is it marked on the fuse box cover ? I'm at home waiting for a tow. Car is about 5 miles away. Thx !

·
Registered
951 Posts
I jumped the starter relay. It just clicks. Looks like I'll be installing a new starter. Thx again!!!
Before doing that starter replacement, did you check the relay slots for full power and good ground? Did you jump slot
#30 to #87 or did you jump the control side of the relay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That I don't know... its snowing pretty hard right now and the car is in the local grocery store parking lot... Looks like no tow truck tonight. I'll wait until it gets towed back home and check it out more thoroughly. Thx !!! And I'll need to buy a Haines manual... 😁

·
Registered
951 Posts
Use the numbers printed on the underside of the relay to locate the correct relay slots in the fuse box. You want to first test slot #30 for battery power. If #30 has power, then jump slot #87 to #30 and listen for the starter/engine turning. If it does not spin, then check to make sure the engine turns over manually at the balancer bolt, before installing a new starter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you are getting a click I'm going to assume its the starter. I highly doubt you would hear the relay clicking. Best way to test my theory is to have someone under the car near the starter when you try to start the car and listen for the click. Then, take a hammer and bang on the starter (not too hard to damage it but hard enough to rattle it a little bit). Sometimes you will get a starter on its last leg to kick over and start the engine. If it starts after banging it, that's a sure sign its time to replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I waited at home for over 5 hours last night for a AAA tow truck to get the car a few miles from the house. I called AAA at 10 pm to cancel... At midnight a sherriff's deputy was at our door to do a safety check as they got a call from AAA because they were "concerned for my safety". B.S. AAA knew I was at home. They new I canceled the request... I called a local tow service this morning and met them at the grocery store parking lot where I had to leave the car over night. Got in the Forte to straighten the wheels and gave it one more try to start the car... It fired right up ! I think the aftermarket remote start was interfering with the start finction... ??? Well, dodged a bullet for now ! Thanks everyone !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw Shucks ! Parked in car in the cul-de-sac so the plow guy could clear the driveway. Just went to move it and.... no start... same thing. Solenoid clicks... no crank. Can you just replace the solenoid ? Looks like a repair job in the cul-de-sac...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ordered a new starter. I'm guessing the solenoid is the issue. I'll get it into the garage and swap it out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
no, you can't just replace the solenoid. You'll have to replace the whole starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, you could just rebuild the solenoid depending on where you live. At one time Fleet Farm did sell kits to rebuild the solenoids but I doubt if they do that anymore. Also, some small towns have small repair shops that will rebuild your entire starter while you wait.... now, they too are getting harder to find. However, this problem is not new and has been around for years. In this discussion, the only thing I have noticed is that there is no link to a You Tube video page as far as where and how to replace the starter... always helpful.... instead of a Haynes manual.... Then there is the cost of a used starter.... at a junkyard (always an option) or a new rebuilt one depending on if you plan to keep the car or not..... We used to call a bad solenoid because it developed a corroded spot commonly referred to as a "flat spot" and if you could get that contact point moved slightly, you could at least get the starter to engage....but be advised, when you shut off that car AFTER you got it started with so much grief, have it where you can work on it.... because it might be intermittent and might start... but life is too short.... Good luck...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Can you replace the solenoid? Sure it's physically possible.
Should you replace just the solenoid? Not in my opinion. Then you have a new solenoid on an old starter. And probably didn't save yourself much money instead of just replacing the whole starter.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The starter went on my car a year or so ago. I had it rebuilt and it's been fine since. It cost $180 and they removed it, rebuilt it and put it back in. It was a great deal. Much cheaper than a new starter and since you can't even see the starter on the 1.6T, I was glad to have someone else do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts