Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latch is broken on my 2016.. so i ordered a new one off Aliexpress.. anyone tore one of these down before? I removed all the screws, it didn't come apart, just looking for pointers to get in there an change this out,

Ali express item 32920330610 (sorry couldnt post a link)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
Visit a dealer. Or better yet - their body shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you missed the point here.
Dealer will tell you what the part number is. Then you can search the net using the correct part number and most likely get it off eBay...
Maybe this will be helpful enough.
I have the part already, the issue is getting into the arm rest lid to change it, its not straight forward, I was hoping to find someone who may have already did it. I cant find ANY info.

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
I have the part already, the issue is getting into the arm rest lid to change it, its not straight forward, I was hoping to find someone who may have already did it. I cant find ANY info.

Sorry, I mixed up two threads. I thought you were still looking for this part.

http://www.kifomanual.com/console_armrest_replacement-1184.html

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-armrest-assy-co~84660a7100wk.html

Don't have the time now to see if any of them have the details, but look through them.
Unfortunately, I sold mine two weeks ago and I cannot go back and check it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PLP. I had saw the first link originally but its not that straight forward..

Some info for anyone else who may ever stumble across this.

I pried the back cover off, it has 4 clips but at the bottom it has two screws.. to remove those two screws you need to remove the entire console.. That was way too much work for me, so I just broke those bottom two screws. After I did that I was able to unscrew the arm rest and remove it, unscrew all the screws for the plastic underside, then pry it off. You have to do all this because the back two screws are blocked by the hinge.. I may have tried to get those two screws out and just leave them out had I known everything else. A lot of work for a clip. The dealer wanted $200 for a new arm rest, didn't sell just the clip. But the arm rest opens slowly(naturally) and when you hit a bump it opens right up without the clip functional so it was very annoying.

http://www.kifomanual.com/floor_console_assembly_replacement-1180.html you would need to do all this, if not willing to break the two bottom screws. The two bottom screws are minor, there is 4 clips already holding the back panel on.

http://www.kifomanual.com/rear_console_cover_replacement-1182.html The two screws in (2) are not accessible unless you pull the entire console out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've removed my center console several times now. It's really not that hard at all. Plus it allows you to do a really good cleaning of bits you can't get to normally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The latch is broken on my 2016.. so i ordered a new one off Aliexpress.. anyone tore one of these down before? I removed all the screws, it didn't come apart, just looking for pointers to get in there an change this out,

Ali express item 32920330610 (sorry couldnt post a link)

Thanks
So i wanted to come on here as this is the one and only place I could find a discussion about this. Though I didn't find a solution I figured it out (mostly) by myself. You can actually do this while the armrest is still connected to the center console but is easier to do it while taking it off.
To take the center armrest off I had to go to a Kia dealership for the service department to show me. But with a Phillips-head screwdriver and a thin wedging tool it shouldn't be too hard.
First, you need to push both seats forward to access the back of the center console. There will be a screw cover on both sides. Take out those screws and then use the wedge tool to pry off the back. MAKE SURE TO ONLY OPEN THE TOP OF THE BACK AS THERE IS SCREWS AT THE BOTTOM THAT YOU CAN'T TAKE OUT AND WILL RIP OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE BACK.
Once inside there will be 6 screws holding on the lid. 2 on each side and 2 underneath. All of these screws are the same size except the ones holding on the back panel are a little bit smaller.

Once you have it off you can more easily dissect the armrest. remove the 8 screws holding the center plastic piece on only as that's all that's needed. Once removed take a flat head screwdriver and pry that plastic piece off from the front. There are 6 clips also holding that piece on but with a little leverage, you shouldn't have a problem popping it off. Under that piece, the holy grail that you've been looking for! 2 more screws and you've got that puppy out!

Replace everything in reverse order and BOOM!

Kia wanted to charge me $325 for a whole new center console plus 2 hours of labor. I got the part from a Pick-a-part for $8 and paid $16 for plastic wedges to get the back off. Not a bad day for savings!

I hope this has helped you and whoever else might be looking to replace this darn thing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts