Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2016 Kia Forte - Nu 1.8 MPI - Aurora Black Pearl
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here; this is my first post. I recently bought this car just over a month ago; been loving it so far, but it's always had this engine ticking noise at cold start (sitting overnight) since I bought it.

I recorded the noise with my phone - here is the YouTube video of it:
If you listen closely at the 31 second mark in the video, the ticking noise stops.

Some more details: Engine: 1.8 Nu MPI | Mileage: 26,200 miles | Outside temperature at time of recording: 52掳F / 11掳C; car had sat overnight. | Oil: Oil & filter changes from local Kia dealership since new; Carfax report reflects this. I had two different mechanics listen to the video, and both told me they didn't like the noise and for me to have the car looked at by the dealer as I'm still under warranty.

Is this noise common for this car/engine? Is it no big deal or might it be something more? I have an appointment to have the car checked out by the dealer this Wednesday. What does everyone think?? (Thank you all in advance!)

Registered
Many Kia/Hyundai engines make start-up (and other) noise, and there are also a number of different opinions of the severity, source, and impact of this noise. But one thing that's been very consistent is that, as long as it's under warranty, the stealerships will say the noise is completely normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Kia/Hyundai engines make start-up (and other) noise, and there are also a number of different opinions of the severity, source, and impact of this noise. But one thing that's been very consistent is that, as long as it's under warranty, the stealerships will say the noise is completely normal.
Do you think it's worth having them look at it? It's possible that if they find nothing, and say "All is well!", they may charge me $145 just to look at it.?
Did the noise in the video sound concerning to you, or do these engines last a long time despite making that noise?
Sorry for all the questions; I ask because I would like to keep this car for at least the next 7-10 years, plus I like this car.:)

Registered
You could ask if they would come out and listen to the noise in their lot, but just say no if they want to charge you a diagnostic fee.

I don't hear anything in the vid that sounds like knocking - just top end ticking, so I'd say you don't have a problem at the present time. However, if you're really concerned and want to pursue it further, try to find another Forte with your engine at a used car dealer, and take it for a test drive (actually just a test start-up). Hopefully you'll hear just about the same amount of noise in both vehicles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUMP! BUMP! & UPDATE!

So I had the 30,000 mile service performed by my trusted, local professional mechanic. My cost: $205.馃憤 The stealership's price for the same service: $827!!馃槰馃槺 At a Kia dealer! They think they're BMW now?!

Anyways, this service included an oil and filter change. When my mechanic drained out the old oil, he ran the oil through a paint filter to check for any metal shavings. He showed me the paint filter and there were NO visible metal shavings. Good news! He just told me to keep a close ear on the ticking noise to make sure it doesn't change or get worse.

One thing I know is that the frequency at which this cold start ticking noise appears seems to increase in colder weather and decrease (if not completely disappear) in warmer weather. Other than that, the car runs fine and I still love it.馃

Registered
Are you using Hyundai/Kia oil filters or aftermarket filters?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you using Hyundai/Kia oil filters or aftermarket filters?
Yes, indeed. Before I bought the car used, all of it's oil/filter changes were done at the Kia dealer according to CarFax.
After I bought the car I did one oil/filter change myself using a blue Genuine Hyundai oil filter made by Mann+Hummel, and then my local mechanic used a black Napa branded filter (@ 30K mile service), but it also has Mann+Hummel printed on it and is made in S. Korea.

Also, this cold start ticking noise has been extremely minimal - basically non-existent lately but it is still warm where I live (Central California). The noise is never loud, but noticeable, as you can hear in the video. When the noise does appear, it's only at cold start and goes away within 1-2 minutes; the engine is very quiet at normal operating temp. I've only used 5W-30 full synthetic changed between 3-5K miles. The Kia dealer also heard this noise and said on the service invoice: "...Noise heard was lifter and injector noise until engine reaches operating temp. No abnormal noises heard!"

What do you think?

Registered
I think you should use OEM filters

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you should use OEM filters
Will do. I will be sure to switch back to the blue OEM filter next oil change. For now, it's running a black Napa Gold(?) [Mann+Hummel] filter and the engine starts up nice and quietly.

Oddly enough, the OEM filters are pretty cheap at my Kia dealer - $8.99 each. Not bad.

Registered
Will do. I will be sure to switch back to the blue OEM filter next oil change. For now, it's running a black Napa Gold(?) [Mann+Hummel] filter and the engine starts up nice and quietly.

Oddly enough, the OEM filters are pretty cheap at my Kia dealer - $8.99 each. Not bad.
There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) put out years ago about non-OEM filters causing a ticking noise. I used to have a link to it but I can't find it. Anyway, you will probably be ok until the next oil change. Oh, and if you check online (eBay/Amazon) you will find OEM filters for as little as $6 if you buy in bulk. And they even include the drain plug crush washer (which should be replaced every oil change). I usually buy 10 filters at a time but I also have 5 Hyundai/Kia cars that all use the same filter.

Registered

Registered
There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) put out years ago about non-OEM filters causing a ticking noise. I used to have a link to it but I can't find it. Anyway, you will probably be ok until the next oil change. Oh, and if you check online (eBay/Amazon) you will find OEM filters for as little as $6 if you buy in bulk. And they even include the drain plug crush washer (which should be replaced every oil change). I usually buy 10 filters at a time but I also have 5 Hyundai/Kia cars that all use the same filter.
I have used OEM filters since I bought my kia, and the knocking in the video had always been there. I had brought it up to the dealership, and was told 1. That is normal and 2. Kia knows of this "problem" and has put no resolution out for it. I then promptly told the dealership, well ya'll will be replacing the motor before the warranty is spent. 80k and they ended up replacing the motor.

IF pushed hard enough, the connecting rod(s) will snap from the crank shift, and then you will have a galloping forte till the motor is replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used OEM filters since I bought my kia, and the knocking in the video had always been there. I had brought it up to the dealership, and was told 1. That is normal and 2. Kia knows of this "problem" and has put no resolution out for it. I then promptly told the dealership, well ya'll will be replacing the motor before the warranty is spent. 80k and they ended up replacing the motor.

IF pushed hard enough, the connecting rod(s) will snap from the crank shift, and then you will have a galloping forte till the motor is replaced.
Sorry to hear that... Just wondering, does your Forte have the 2.0 litre GDI engine or the 1.8 litre MPI? Or maybe even the 1.6 litre turbo GDI?
What is your oil change interval? Every 3K, 5K, 7.5K, or more miles? I change mine every 4K or 5K miles.
Did the dealer ever find out the exact cause of failure? Did they find metal shavings in your oil?
Sorry for all the questions; I'm just really curious. Thanks. :) 馃嵖馃嵖

Registered
Sorry to hear that... Just wondering, does your Forte have the 2.0 litre GDI engine or the 1.8 litre MPI? Or maybe even the 1.6 litre turbo GDI?
What is your oil change interval? Every 3K, 5K, 7.5K, or more miles? I change mine every 4K or 5K miles.
Did the dealer ever find out the exact cause of failure? Did they find metal shavings in your oil?
Sorry for all the questions; I'm just really curious. Thanks. :) 馃嵖馃嵖
I was changing my oil every 5k via the dealer, It HAD a 2.0 before the engine swap, but now, I believe it has a 1.8. The dealer said that the connecting rod(s) snapped from the crankshaft. Metal shavings were found in the oil, and when I told them what the problem was they didnt want to believe me. End of the day, the engine stock built cant handle up to the beating that I can personally put on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts