Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Forte's transmission is starting to act a little funny on occasions(slipping a bit going up hill) and was preparing for the case where I might have to replace the transmission.

In the service manual it says it uses a A6GF1 transmission which seems like is used in a bunch of different models and wanted to know peoples experience in finding a replacement transmission.

The dealer wants like 6 grand for a new one and Kia doesn't have any reman transmissions right now apparently.

Any tips/thoughts about this would be great.

Thanks 馃檪

2016 KIA FORTE LX - 1.8L L4 DOHC 16V

Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
Have you checked the fluid level? Do you see any transmission fluid on the ground where you park the car?

First thing I would do is check the fluid level - and it is NOT the easiest thing to do! Low fluid level especially when cold will cause slipping. If your tranny is slipping then you should smell the fluid - should smell burnt - when checking the level.

Also curious - did you buy the car new? If so, the 10 yr/100K powertrain warranty should cover this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've done a drain and refill per the service manual a couple times. It has 120k miles on it right now.

I did have some questions about the check fluid procedure.

It says to add like a whole quart of trans fluid so I wonder if its already at the proper level wouldn't the trans now have too much fluid?

When I checked the level(at proper fluid temp) after I did the drain and refill, the check plug had a thin steady stream coming out of it.

I will do the fluid check procedure when I do my next oil change shortly.

I'm still able to drive but I take it easy when driving up a hill. Now that I think about it theres another weird thing when going up hill going from gear 4 to 5.. sometimes it doesnt like to shift at the RPM I think it should. But if I switch to manual mode and bump it to 5th it does it fine.

Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
It says to add like a whole quart of trans fluid so I wonder if its already at the proper level wouldn't the trans now have too much fluid?

When I checked the level(at proper fluid temp) after I did the drain and refill, the check plug had a thin steady stream coming out of it.
It is very important that you check it when the tranny is at operating temperature -hot, and engine running! If you check it cold and it is full then the fluid will expand when it gets hot and it will be overfilled.

Nice of the car manufacturers to save a few bucks by removing the tranny dipstick and making it difficult to check your tranny's fluid level...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very important that you check it when the tranny is at operating temperature -hot, and engine running! If you check it cold and it is full then the fluid will expand when it gets hot and it will be overfilled.

Nice of the car manufacturers to save a few bucks by removing the tranny dipstick and making it difficult to check your tranny's fluid level...
Could you go into a little more detail on what you do during the point you pull the check plug out and the fluid drains out? Do you let it keep draining until that quart you added in the beginning drains out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts