Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my alarm started going off for no visible reason. When trying to disable the alarm the key fob would not work unless I aggressively hit the buttons, and even after a minute or two the alarm would still go off.

I looked online and thought perhaps the key fob battery needed to be replaced. After replacing the battery, there was the same result, the alarm would go bonkers. So it being late at night, I disconnected my car battery and left the battery out of the fob.

So I have two questions.

1.Could it be my car battery?

2. If/when I replace my fob battery would I have to take it to a locksmith/dealership to "reprogram" it?

This is my first car with a key fob, and my first kia (I'm flying blind here) any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Couple of questions:
Is this just a simple fob or a smart-key?
Do you carry the fob or smart-key in your pocket?

I can answer the 2nd question, no, you don’t need to reprogram the car when you replace the battery in either the car or the fob/smart-key

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of questions:
Is this just a simple fob or a smart-key?
Do you carry the fob or smart-key in your pocket?

I can answer the 2nd question, no, you don’t need to reprogram the car when you replace the battery in either the car or the fob/smart-key
Thank you!

It's a simple fob, and I usually carry my key in my bag with it's own pocket or on a table somewhere. I noticed the older battery had some acid corrosion, so I'll try to do a circuit board cleaner on the fob before I try another battery.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It’s very possible (because it happens occasionally to me) that something is pressing the panic button on the fob making the alarm go off.

Yes, try cleaning the battery and fob from the corrosion but also leave the battery out and see if the alarm stops going off. It may be just as simple as something accidentally pressing the panic button.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Same here, occasional alarm going off, because I bent over and something in my pocket presses the panic button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s very possible (because it happens occasionally to me) that something is pressing the panic button on the fob making the alarm go off.

Yes, try cleaning the battery and fob from the corrosion but also leave the battery out and see if the alarm stops going off. It may be just as simple as something accidentally pressing the panic button.

So it I'm not sure if it was entirely the cleaning aspect of it. But I notice that two of the four prongs that hold the battery in place were slightly bent inwards, not allowing the battery to remain in contact with the circuit board. So once I readjusted the prongs and reset the battery in place my problems were over.

I will adhere to not placing my fob in my pocket or in an area where buttons can be pressed about.

Thank you for all the advice, I truly appreciate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts