Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low oil light came on today while I was sitting in car on my lunch break at work. It happened towards the end of my lunch break once the engine had warmed up. After work the light was off. I went and grabbed a quart of oil and checked my level at my brothers house and it seemed fine. On my drive home the light came back on once the car had warmed up but started off by blinking intermittently then coming on constant. Checked oil again and it seemed fine. Called local dealer and the rep on the phone said it might just be the oil pressure switch, but they wont know until they look into it. He said as long as the check engine light doesn't come on it should be fine. They can't get me in though for almost 2 weeks. It is about 32 degrees here currently so wondering if that could be a reason for it.

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
The cold weather isn't the reason it's happening. It's most likely the oil pressure sending until/sensor/switch that's failing, as the dealer mentioned, which would also explain why the issue is intermittent.

If the oil level is good and the engine sounds normal, you should be fine to keep driving it. Just hope that it's not a failing oil pump and check the oil level frequently. If you hear any odd sounds, stop the engine immediately.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
From what you wrote I'm going with a bad oil pressure switch at this time- diagnosing through a computer is nearly impossible. If the switch were good your light would be on all the time - as a bad oil pump or dangerous oil leak-down within the engine doesn't get "better".

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
658 Posts
Have you checked for oil leaks at the engine oil gasket & pan? Might have to change its gasket with a new one.

When I bought my 2010 Kia Forte from my friend that the 1st thing I checked then when the new gasket came in, I changed it & did oil change. Not a drop since. No low level, no burnt smell, no engine starving for oil.

My Forte has been good, so far & I ask/pray to the car gods to protect my cars & help them last yrs/miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of an update. Car was supposed to go in Monday but the dealership said that Kia's website service is down and preventing them from being able to do service work. I dropped the car off at the dealership and they are going to work on it when they can, but there is a couple vehicles ahead of me. They think they should be able to get around to it next week. Oil light was staying on pretty much constant now. I have been borrowing my brothers 07 Toyota yaris. It has a cai, cat back, coil overs, wheels and tires. Its kind of fun, but not nearly as comfy as my forte.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts