Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing factory speakers and running speaker line output to amp and back to factory wiring. Retaining factory head unit (96180-a7290wk).

Front door speakers and tweeters replaced with Hertz DSK 170.3 6-3/4" component speakers and rear door speakers replaced with Hertz Uno X 170 6-3/4" 2-way speakers.

18 pin connector into the head unit has 4 channels in pins 1-10, 2-11, 3-12, 4-13. But 2-11 has an extra set of wires coupled. I'm assuming that's for the tweeters and is split off somewhere else. Anyone know how the tweeters are actually wired and where it splits off?

Also, the new component speakers have external crossovers to wire in. There doesn't seem to be anything from the factory between the head unit and the tweeters, so is the crossover necessary? The factory tweeters have a capacitor wired directly onto them. Is that a high pass filter that takes the place of a crossover?

I was hoping to just swap speakers, but this factory setup is confusing me a little.

I am going to cut the factory speaker wires behind the connector. Head unit speaker line out to AudioControl LC71 6-channel line output converter. 4 channels from LC7i to Alpine KTA-450 power pack amp and back to factory speaker wires behind head unit and out to speakers. 2 channels from LC7i to Sony Xplod 760w amp driving 2 Sony 15's in a ported enclosure.

Everything is ready except for the tweeter wiring. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Finally found the information I was looking for after my 3rd call to Crutchfield.
image002.png

The picture above shows what I was looking at in the car. The factory connector has 2 red/blue wire pairs coupled together for the left front channel. They run from the connector out to the woofer and tweeter.

But there is only one set of orange/green wires for the right front channel at the connector. They actually split somewhere in the dash on the way to the woofer and tweeter.

This is for a non UVO, non NAV system. Hope this helps someone else.

image003.png image001.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey wanted to let you know this is very helpful, thank you! Quick question if you don't mind, how did you end up wiring the external crossovers? I have a set of component speakers that have an external crossover and I'm stuck at the same step you were at in your original post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts