Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I hope someone can help me. I am in need of the wiring schematics for the 2017 radio. I found the ones for the regular radio, but not for the 7" touch screen no-nav. Can anyone please help?

I've attached a picture of the radio for reference

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

How where you able to upgrade to the 7" screen?
To some degree. I got everything working, except for the backup camera since this radio uses another CAN device to tell the radio that is in reverse. Unlike the original radio that comes with the car that has a "reverse" wire. I ended up buying a Kia OEM rearview mirror with auto-dimming, HomeLink (garage opener), compass, and a 4" LCD screen inside for the backup camera. It looks and works great. That cost me $40. It was from a 2012-2014 Kia Sedona. The wiring and cover cost me another $50 only because I wanted it to look OEM. But an excellent price considering that the mirror by itself goes for $250+.

What I can't figure out for the life of me is that the radio never detects the car being on. A forum for the 2018 Kia Rio with an equivalent radio mentions that you need to connect pin 33 (IGN1) of connector B of the radio to pin 22 (ACC) and it should remove that annoying message about the battery discharge. However, that didn't work for me. I've even tried giving it 15v of power, but that didn't do anything. The message below still comes up even when I am driving. It is really annoying. Maybe this also needs another CAN device?
BatteryDischargeWarning.jpeg

However, I got the steering wheel control, the integrated mic, the speakers, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, FM, etc. Everything else works as expected. I had to purchase different adapters for it to work, but it was worth it. I only paid like $90 from an online parts website. Make sure you get one from a 2017 model as the 2018 model does not work well with Siri's voice (apparently they added a center speaker on the front for voice and it makes it sound mono if you don't have that).

·
Registered
18 Posts
To some degree. I got everything working, except for the backup camera since this radio uses another CAN device to tell the radio that is in reverse. Unlike the original radio that comes with the car that has a "reverse" wire. I ended up buying a Kia OEM rearview mirror with auto-dimming, HomeLink (garage opener), compass, and a 4" LCD screen inside for the backup camera. It looks and works great. That cost me $40. It was from a 2012-2014 Kia Sedona. The wiring and cover cost me another $50 only because I wanted it to look OEM. But an excellent price considering that the mirror by itself goes for $250+.

What I can't figure out for the life of me is that the radio never detects the car being on. A forum for the 2018 Kia Rio with an equivalent radio mentions that you need to connect pin 33 (IGN1) of connector B of the radio to pin 22 (ACC) and it should remove that annoying message about the battery discharge. However, that didn't work for me. I've even tried giving it 15v of power, but that didn't do anything. The message below still comes up even when I am driving. It is really annoying. Maybe this also needs another CAN device? View attachment 80576

However, I got the steering wheel control, the integrated mic, the speakers, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, FM, etc. Everything else works as expected. I had to purchase different adapters for it to work, but it was worth it. I only paid like $90 from an online parts website. Make sure you get one from a 2017 model as the 2018 model does not work well with Siri's voice (apparently they added a center speaker on the front for voice and it makes it sound mono if you don't have that).
I see yeah try posting the issue in another post maybe someone can help. which wiring harness did you use was it this? and where did you get the center panel? I ordered that wiring harness so well see how it goes. I will keep you updated once I get it all fixed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see yeah try posting the issue in another post maybe someone can help. which wiring harness did you use was it this? and where did you get the center panel? I ordered that wiring harness so well see how it goes. I will keep you updated once I get it all fixed up.
Yes. That's the harness to connect to the factory wiring. However, you will need to buy three of these because one by itself doesn't have all the wires/pins you need. Below I have attached the PINs from the 2014 Kia Forte EX radio. You would need the METRA 71-7306 to connect to the 2017 7" radio with CarPlay/Android Auto. Then, you would match up the wires and splice them together.

I got everything working now. What I ended up doing was actually getting two radios and building a custom one. I bought the 2017 Kia Forte 7" radio with CarPlay/Android Auto and the same radio from a 2018-2020 Kia Rio. I kept the shell of the Kia Forte radio including the screen and buttons, but I swapped the motherboard for the Rio one. This is because the Kia Rio's radio is much more simple. It is equivalent to the technology on the 2014 Kia Forte EX as far as wiring goes, but equivalent to the 2017 Kia Forte 7" screen and provides Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. So, this enabled me to connect all the 2014 factory wires to the new radio, except for the XM Satellite Radio. This also removes UVO services, but that was not an issue for me. I wanted a factory look OEM radio, with CarPlay/Auto, backup camera, etc. And all of it works.

I get all my parts from LKQ Online.

Here's a picture of the final product:
forte_finished.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see, the unit I bought already came with the back wires so I believe I just need to splice them. I will splice them one day this week and see how it goes. one thing i also relized is the C connector does matches up with my current 4" unit but not the 7". I will connect it first without that and see how it goes Thanks for your help! happy to hear your camera is finally working!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, so I finally decided to try and see if the radio powers up, and I connected the yellow-red, and black wires but unfortunately nothing worked. I will buy the whole splicing set this week. so just to my understanding, the colors are supposed to match up right? in my radio I had the red run into a blue and the yellow into a black/orange in accordance with the wiring diagram. I do not have matching colors in my unit for some reason. I think I might consider the metra one linked above. and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@bgiacaman,

Newbie here. Thanks for working through the details on this one. I plan to do the same following your finished example (minus the rearview mirror upgrade). Gathering parts now. Radios seem plentiful so no issues there. My concern is with the Metra 70-7304 harness. It appears that even 3 sets would not provide all the small pins needed to make all the connections on connector B. Did you omit a few connections in your setup? If so which ones? Thanks again for the details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts