Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
@fillpiemilo Unfortunately I haven’t had an opportunity to pull the radio and test the connections for the canbus and parking brake switch. It may be a while . If you have an issue with just getting the camera to work, I may be able to post my pin/ connector mappings.
did you manage to get the camera to work? can you show me your diagram? will help me a lot.

·
Registered
2015 2.0L Forte5
10 Posts
did you manage to get the camera to work? can you show me your diagram? will help me a lot.
See the attached PDF which includes all my pin mapping for my 2015 Kia Forte Harness to the 2018 Kia Rio radio. Basically everything works except backup lines on the camera. I kept the aux and the USB (aux wiring shown in pin mapping). I think I used an adapter to connect the USB, I did splice any wires it was plug and play. Next time I pull the radio, I'll confirm what I used. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
See the attached PDF which includes all my pin mapping for my 2015 Kia Forte Harness to the 2018 Kia Rio radio. Basically everything works except backup lines on the camera. I kept the aux and the USB (aux wiring shown in pin mapping). I think I used an adapter to connect the USB, I did splice any wires it was plug and play. Next time I pull the radio, I'll confirm what I used. Hope this helps.
Great, thanks a lot. Just one last question. You're just using the kia rio diagram but the radio still original right? Or did you change the motherboard like the other guy here?

·
Registered
2015 2.0L Forte5
10 Posts
Great, thanks a lot. Just one last question. You're just using the kia rio diagram but the radio still original right? Or did you change the motherboard like the other guy here?
I switched the motherboard. Basically, you have the Rio radio electronics in the chassis of a 2017 Kia Forte radio. I may try to do it with just the Forte radio in the future if I can get the canbus connections to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I switched the motherboard. Basically, you have the Rio radio electronics in the chassis of a 2017 Kia Forte radio. I may try to do it with just the Forte radio in the future if I can get the canbus connections to work.
Do you have any solution that can help me get the backup camera without swapping the motherboard, using the original head unit? Because I'm Brazilian and it would be difficult to import rio's radio. I just need apple carplay and the camera, I don't mind not having bluetooth.

·
Registered
2015 2.0L Forte5
10 Posts
Did you ever figure out away to get rid of that battery discharge message
From one of my previous post:
Solution, I connected pin 33 to the IGN1 fuse in the fuse box using 16guage wire (only size had) and a fuse tap (add a circuit). Wiring this way, 12v is only applied to pin 33 when the push button is set to ignition or the car is running. Now I can add a Bluetooth phone or connect to Android auto when the push button is on ACC.

·
Registered
2015 2.0L Forte5
10 Posts
Also you can review the pin outs I used see my post from Nov9, 2021. These have worked for me, still missing the guide lines in the backup camera, eventually I’ll take the time to figure that out unless someone else solves the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From one of my previous post:
Solution, I connected pin 33 to the IGN1 fuse in the fuse box using 16guage wire (only size had) and a fuse tap (add a circuit). Wiring this way, 12v is only applied to pin 33 when the push button is set to ignition or the car is running. Now I can add a Bluetooth phone or connect to Android auto when the push button is on ACC.
My IGN1 fuse is under the hood. If I was able to find 12v somewhere else to add to pin 33 wouldn't it do the same thing and keep me from having to go through the firewall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on everything I have read it seams like this is not a plug and play from the old Forte radio to the touchscreen forte radio. If you could take connectors A&B and have the radio, touchscreen and apply play work I would be happy. But it doesn’t sound like that will work. It’s a shame that the wording harness is not the same in each Forte so this could be much simpler especially for the same year. I guess I will go Chinese aftermarket that connects and has everything integrated unless someone has a better easier experience.. thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Based on everything I have read it seams like this is not a plug and play from the old Forte radio to the touchscreen forte radio. If you could take connectors A&B and have the radio, touchscreen and apply play work I would be happy. But it doesn’t sound like that will work. It’s a shame that the wording harness is not the same in each Forte so this could be much simpler especially for the same year. I guess I will go Chinese aftermarket that connects and has everything integrated unless someone has a better easier experience.. thanks
I did get it to work but it took 2 months and a few trips to the junk yard. If you can live without the oem look I would suggest going with an aftermarket from crutchfield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m still looking for a radio surround plastic fascia for 2017 or 2018 Kia Forte. The radio is the 7 inch touchscreen version. I’m trying to get this retrofitted in my 2016 Forte Koup. ive had no luck from LKQ or any auto salvage yards. I only need the piece that surrounds the radio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,

Yes I was able to get the unit to work. However, I don't recommend this route unless you just have to have a factory look and feel. I spent about $600 total on radios, harnesses, radio surround etc. and still do not have Sirrus, you can't access key features due to a missing transmission (Can Bus) signal and you lose the back up camera guidelines For the money, one can buy and install a decent aftermarket head unit and retain all those features and then some.

Now, with that said, anyone already midway in making this mod, it can be done if you are patient and can re-pin wiring a harness (INVEST in a multiset pin extractor tool). I may change my stance on this if I'm able to figure out how to tell the stereo when the AT is in park. This will open the option to add a Bluetooth device (feature locked because the unit thinks you're in motion) along with a few other things. You can use Carplay ( haven't tried Android Auto) via the USB so its not a deal breaker, but its a shame to do this much work and not have full use of all the radio features.

I'm open to advice on where to find a signal source for the AT park position (radio has a R pin so the camera works).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you tell me where you connected the r pin. I did get that low battery message by connecting pin 33 to constant power and going into engineering mode and to turn that message off. I haven't seen that message in 3 months

21 - 39 of 39 Posts