Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if anyone knows if the 2017 Kia Forte s keyfob has a chip in the key part itself. It says online the it doesn't have a chip,but want to be sure. I need to order 2 and just wanted to be

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,398 Posts
I believe you'll have to take your car to a dealer to have them program the key fobs to work on your car. I did on my 2017 Kia Optima.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your dealer is supposed to (legally) provide you with the pin code for your car. Then you can buy a fob on ebay and take it to any automotive locksmith. Total cost will be like $30 for the eBay fob, $40 at the locksmith to program and cut the key. Total like $70, vs dealer who wants like $150-$250+ sometimes.

But the dealer can be weird, of course. "Pin code, what's a pin code? Oh no, we can't give that out, that's illegal." And usual B.S.

They are obligated to provide your pin code for your vehicle, though. Of course, you have to provide them the VIN, other info first. I got my own fobs and took them to my local auto locksmith (a lot of regular locksmiths do car keys too if you just call and ask). But they need that pin code. I made sure to call and ask for my pin code just a few days after I bought my car. I wrote it down and saved it immediately. Took a picture of that and saved it so I wouldn't lose it. Cheaper fobs than the dealer, I did one right off the bat because they only gave me one when I bought the car.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT, 2013 Kia Soul Plus, 1992 Toyota Corolla, 1978 Chevy Corvette, 2013 Fiat 500
133 Posts
We program the fobs for free lol

Reactions: Chuzz and tc0566
1 - 4 of 4 Posts