Kia Forte Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey there, I'm looking into getting the race chip myself, but am worried about my car since its stock, there's no supporting mods yet. I'm not familiar with modding cars and what the limitations are so I was worried putting in a chip tune might blow something out if I don't have other things in the car upgraded. That said, When you installed your race chip was your forte gt stock?
You don't need any "supporting mods". That largely doesn't exist anymore.

Get whatever device tickles your fancy. 20-25 whp gain, 30-40 lbs of torque on 91/93

Bench flash (Sixth Element,Tork Motorsport, etc) will adjust the fuel (it runs really rich after 4500 rpm) and run more boost before overboost kicks in and closes the throttle.

That will result in more power but is more evasive. Piggybacks are fine for mild power increases. If you want a little more power you can mix in octane concentrate like Klotz, Boostane and VP Octanium or a couple of gallons of E85 with your premium pump fuel (E20).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #182

So SXTH put on a Evilla Cat Back Exhaust. What do you all here think about how far the tips extend out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So SXTH put on a Evilla Cat Back Exhaust. What do you all here think about how far the tips extend out?
Not a fan honestly. I've been looking for a catback with no luck outside of Evilla or putting something custom together. I've been putting some pressure on ARK on Instragram because they had products for my 1st Gen Forte, but they didn't seem very receptive to the idea so I have a feeling they won't be developing one for the GT. I'm a big fan of their GRiP exhausts and have heard their relatively drone-free which was a big plus for me. I shall wait patiently.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not a fan honestly. I've been looking for a catback with no luck outside of Evilla or putting something custom together. I've been putting some pressure on Ark on Instragram because they had products for my 1st Gen Forte, but they didn't seem very receptive to the idea so I have a feeling they won't be developing one for the GT. I'm a big fan of their GRiP exhausts and have heard their relatively drone-free which was a big plus for me. I shall wait patiently.
Begging and pleading with companies is not how you get things done.

Find 10 people who want Ark to build a cat-back for the car and willing to put up money, which will finance the R&D, making of jigs and welding

Plus Ark will need a car for test fitting, do you really expect them to go out and buy a Forte GT just for that?

I have a connection with Thermal R&D Exhaust a long time leader in high performance exhaust systems. I know the owner personally.

If you want an exhaust for the Forte GT. I can let him borrow my car to see what's possible and he'll give me an estimate of the cost of ten (or however many) units needed to be made to justify the investment.

Waiting for manufacturers to do it will have you waiting on the sidelines. The reason why Sxth and others make intercoolers because they know you are likely to buy one and even fudge data to show you how effective one would be.

The truth is, you don't need either. You don't need exhaust, just remove the stock muffler if you want it louder.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
98 Posts
View attachment 80413

I don't like the tips. If he did OEM looking tips or bigger versions like Audi RS style, I would have got the muffler, too. The round tips look out of place. Perfect for the Hyundai cars with the 1.6 turbo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Begging and pleading with companies is not how you get things done.

Find 10 people who want Ark to build a cat-back for the car and willing to put up money, which will finance the R&D, making of jigs and welding

Plus Ark will need a car for test fitting, do you really expect them to go out and buy a Forte GT just for that?

I have a connection with Thermal R&D Exhaust a long time leader in high performance exhaust systems. I know the owner personally.

If you want an exhaust for the Forte GT. I can let him borrow my car to see what's possible and he'll give me an estimate of the cost of ten (or however many) units needed to be made to justify the investment.

Waiting for manufacturers to do it will have you waiting on the sidelines. The reason why Sxth and others make intercoolers because they know you are likely to buy one and even fudge data to show you how effective one would be.

The truth is, you don't need either. You don't need exhaust, just remove the stock muffler if you want it louder.
Thanks for your input. I don't know that begging and pleading would be accurate. And I live an hour away from ARK. They installed their springs on my first gen Forte. I did offer for them to use my GT for test fitting, but still didn't seem interested. I would be interested in the group buy from Thermal R&D, but obviously I am not 10 people so maybe when we hear of more interest from others. Appreciate the offer to talk to the owner!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I don't like the tips. If he did OEM looking tips or bigger versions like Audi RS style, I would have got the muffler, too. The round tips look out of place. Perfect for the Hyundai cars with the 1.6 turbo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I had the Cat Back Exhaust in my chart. Now looking at it installed im not a fan of how the tips extend out that far. I like the burnt tips because they will match my car color. Might just get tips that match the body.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Of course you aren't ten people. There is another stimulus coming, go to Facebook or Reddit, if you can find five owners from either, I can go to Thermal with that and that might be enough to get the ball rolling. I have done lots of stuff in the aftermarket for the Dodge Neon, Neon SRT-4 and Focus ST.

It's just so far down on the list of things to make the car go faster that I'm not looking at it. I ran the stock exhaust on the Focus ST and it ran [email protected] with it's best trap being 101.5 mph. That was stock intercooler, exhaust, tune only, 30% ethanol and slicks. Slicks actually slow the car down a little, traps could be higher on drag radials.

The Forte GT has a similar power to weight ratio. My SRT-4 was 3100 lbs, Focus ST 3200 lbs, Forte GT 2920 lbs.

The base tune is so conservative that is where you should attack first. It won't announce to the world your car is fast(er) but they'll definitely know it when you put your foot down. I don't mind a little noise when the car can back up it's bark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All,

About to hit 6k miles on my 2020 Forte GT.

Im looking to make the car sound better but have 0 experience with picking out parts, I have seen a couple videos of resonator/muffler deletes but to me this doesnt sound good but just loud.

What are some things I can do to improve the sound, (i love popping and backfire and turbo spooling and just good quality exhaust sounds just like most people)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello All,

About to hit 6k miles on my 2020 Forte GT.

Im looking to make the car sound better but have 0 experience with picking out parts, I have seen a couple videos of resonator/muffler deletes but to me this doesn't sound good but just loud.

What are some things I can do to improve the sound, (i love popping and backfire and turbo spooling and just good quality exhaust sounds just like most people)?
Sxth crackle/bang tune, Sxth intake, Sxth catless downpipe, Forge diverter valve and Evilla Motorsport exhaust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the Cat Back Exhaust in my chart. Now looking at it installed im not a fan of how the tips extend out that far. I like the burnt tips because they will match my car color. Might just get tips that match the body.
Any good exhaust shop can cut the pipe so that the tips are flush with the cut-offs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Will all of the veloster parts fit the Forte?
The Forge DV, Downpipe and Tune work on all the cars more or less. The exhaust and intake are vehicle specific. That said the intakes for the Veloster Turbo and Elantra Sport/GT N-Line all work (aFe, AEM, K&N, etc) on the Forte GT.

I gave you exactly what you need. The downsides is the loud exhaust - https://www.reddit.com/r/ForteGT/comments/hsg2x8
The tune doesn't increase power at all (2). HOWEVER it's a flash and can be detected when going in for warranty work. You'll lose your catalytic converter (3) which is against all state and federal regulations. Not a problem since in most states there is no inspection until after six years of ownership. But here in California and elsewhere the CHP will occasionally have roadside inspection stations to catch people like you.

I understand why you like all those noises, believe me I do get it. However the downsides IMHO outweigh the benefit of more turbo car noises.

Especially when it won't make the car any faster. Which is the point of everything but the DV/BOV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Any good exhaust shop can cut the pipe so that the tips are flush with the cut-offs.
I know 🙂. I just feel they could of done better job with fitment look. I do appreciate them making a exhaust system for our GTs. I was surprised to see how far they extended from the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Forge DV, Downpipe and Tune work on all the cars more or less. The exhaust and intake are vehicle specific. That said the intakes for the Veloster Turbo and Elantra Sport/GT N-Line all work (aFe, AEM, K&N, etc) on the Forte GT.

I gave you exactly what you need. The downsides is the loud exhaust - https://www.reddit.com/r/ForteGT/comments/hsg2x8
The tune doesn't increase power at all (2). HOWEVER it's a flash and can be detected when going in for warranty work. You'll lose your catalytic converter (3) which is against all state and federal regulations. Not a problem since in most states there is no inspection until after six years of ownership. But here in California and elsewhere the CHP will occasionally have roadside inspection stations to catch people like you.

I understand why you like all those noises, believe me I do get it. However the downsides IMHO outweigh the benefit of more turbo car noises.

Especially when it won't make the car any faster. Which is the point of everything but the DV/BOV.
I appreciate the advise. With that being said maybe I’ll hold off doing anything until later. I’ll stick around here and see what everyone else does.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I appreciate the advice. With that being said maybe I’ll hold off doing anything until later. I’ll stick around here and see what everyone else does.
Why the apprehension now? You thought there were no negatives?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why the apprehension now? You thought there were no negatives?
I think you missed what he was looking for. He wants the better sound but not obnoxiously loud. You gave him a recipe for obnoxiously loud.

Im looking to make the car sound better but have 0 experience with picking out parts, I have seen a couple videos of resonator/muffler deletes but to me this doesnt sound good but just loud.

Let's break this down by sounds:
Popping and backfiring -> "SXTH crackle/bang tune or equivalent as there are others" Basically too much fuel when getting off the throttle causes this. I've heard this on other loud cars and more mild cars so it's doable without being obnoxious. But it isn't very efficient...jus sayin.

Turbo Spooling -> If you want the sound from the intake then "SXTH Intake". I've heard this is the loudest for intake wise but not too annoying imo. If you're looking for spooling sound coming from the exhaust though that's where removing catalytic converters comes in probably the most but the side affect is the volume goes way up and it is illegal as Athomas pointed out. It's your car, but I'd say racecar only for me. My last car I bought was catless and it was annoying. Exhaust smell sometimes was annoying while stopped and to others behind me i am sure and getting inspected was always a pain.

Exhaust note -> This is where the jury is out at this point as there aren't a lot of documented options. The only real option I've come across so far is the Evilla Motorsports which does have a bunch of options. There are a couple others and you can always go to a custom shop but I'd like to hear one in person before I pull the trigger personally. The DonChickenBonBon car shared by AThomas is the loudest version of exhaust possible before replacing the down pipe. Basically no mufflers at all and only the stock cat in the downpipe. Also in the video that's the cold start which is super loud for the Forte GT. I think a better setup would have been to choose the "Sport Series" resonators for the mid pipe and the "Sport Series" for the axle back section. That should provide a deeper rumble that isn't as likely to piss of the neighborhood. Another option is to keep the stock axle back section and just replace the mid pipe without a resonator. This will increase volume but not ridiculously loud. People have said that this is similar to replacing the axle back with more sporty mufflers. I must warn though that the OEM engineers add a mid pipe resonator usually to cancel out droning frequencies that can be annoying in the cabin. The only real way to find out is to try it and hear it in person. I know Hamster-GT has bought just the mid pipe and I am curious to hear the review once installed.

As a side note I have always loved how an SRT-4 Borla exhaust with a catless downpipe sounds but it's too damn loud. The spooling turbo just sounds awesome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It would be even louder with a catless downpipe but that will give loudest bangs, crackles and pops, also shoot flames.

Even bigger flames if you ran 100% methanol injection.

I mean why not go all the way if you want to produce a road show? I see this generation do it all day, regularly from the biggest buckets to brand new Audi's, BMW's and other expensive European cars. Look how many straight pipe videos are on YouTube and Instagram...

It's the latest version of stance, hot import nights cruise culture. Lots of sizzle, no substance. Instead of rocking fake turbo kits when charge pipes aren't even connected or super low boost is being run it doesn't matter and doesn't offset the extra weight added. Since OEM's are building more turbo cars, why not go that route and there you have it.

As i said the vast majority of those cars aren't as fast as they sound.

Loved my Thermal R&D turbo back exhaust on my Neon SRT-4 and Focus ST. Both times catted because no cat is worth maybe a tenth or two. You can drop weight from the car and gain a tenth. You can find a tenth in a better 60 ft time, so it's not worth it IMHO with all the downsides.

I think I can get Thermal to make something for these cars and the Elantra Sport/N-Line but I need people with cash in hand ready to buy if something goes forward. It will be the best engineered and best sounding exhaust you can buy, it has been on every car I've owned.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts