Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car in a long time that didn't come with HID lights, and I hated the yellow that the halogens produced. So I wanted to swap to LEDs, but when I researched it, it seems there are a LOT of bad LEDs out there. Focal length, LED position, LED diode shape are all important to produce good lighting that isn't worse than what the original halogens put out. It took me a lot of research on other car forums to find a good LED bulb to use in our Forte, but I found them. Here is a pic showing one headlight swapped:

Biggest issue with the install is getting the bulbs to "click" and lock fully in place. The hole for bulb access is small and positioned oddly. In the pics I don't think it was clicked all the way in. Judging by the beam pattern it looks like the bulb needs to rotate another couple more degrees, but I can't get enough grip or leverage on it without taking the headlight out. But for now, it's fine the way it is. The headlights look great, and are quite a bit brighter than the stock halogen bulbs as you can see in the pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The name of the bulbs are called Katanas, and I bought them on Amazon. Our fitment for the FE and LXS is 9005. Make sure you buy the ones that have a seperate "processing" box. They sell an "all in one" bulb where the electronics are incorporated into the bulb, but we can't use that one because it's too long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next I wanted to address the DRLs (daytime running lights) on my car. On USA Fortes that are FE and LXS trims, the DRL is actually where traditional foglights would go on a car. On S, GT Line, EX, and GT trims, they have LED DRLs installed in the main headlight assembly, so they actually have real foglights. The DRLs on my FE uses halogen bulbs, which make it look kind of cheap, so I wanted to change that to an LED as well. After doing a bunch of research, I figured out what bulb goes in the bottom DRLs of the FE and LXS models. Contrary to what has been posted, it is NOT 1157 bulbs. They are 1156 bulbs. I wanted to give my DRLs a more custom look so I went with yellow LEDs (3000K) to mimic having traditional foglights. I installed 3000K yellow LEDs in the foglights of my Focus RS and it looked great, so I was hoping it would look good on the Forte. I took pics after swapping one bulb so you guys can see the difference. It looks great in person and very bright. No error codes on my dash because I used the right bulb (1156).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DRL bulbs I bought on eBay. Seller name is VIPmotoz, and if you search "yellow 3000k led 1156" you should find it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Next up, I'll be changing the license plate bulbs and the reverse bulbs to LED. I'm also considering changing the third brake lamp to an LED for more safety since they light up faster than a regular bulb, and it could mean the difference between getting rear ended or not.

I originally planned on changing the interior lights to LED, but now might decide against it because our interior lights have a "soft" lighting feature which don't have the same effect with LEDs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Next up, I'll be changing the license plate bulbs and the reverse bulbs to LED. I'm also considering changing the third brake lamp to an LED for more safety since they light up faster than a regular bulb, and it could mean the difference between getting rear ended or not.

I originally planned on changing the interior lights to LED, but now might decide against it because our interior lights have a "soft" lighting feature which don't have the same effect with LEDs.
It dose the soft thing with led no issue i have it running no issue on mine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
The name of the bulbs are called Katanas, and I bought them on Amazon. Our fitment for the FE and LXS is 9005. Make sure you buy the ones that have a seperate "processing" box. They sell an "all in one" bulb where the electronics are incorporated into the bulb, but we can't use that one because it's too long.
can you post a pic showing the exact lights you bought from amazon, thank you

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
75 Posts
Haven't read all this yet but I have a 2019 FE I got in January, I generally like the car but it has the WORST headlights I think I've ever experienced, and I've been driving awhile. Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you post a pic showing the exact lights you bought from amazon, thank you
Let's see if I can link:

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
75 Posts
SCCA - Thanks for the continuing posts on this. After reading the thread yesterday, I found these on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-HB3-Adjustable/dp/B07GKC818Q/ref=sr_1_15?crid=MA5W0SKKLQ2L&keywords=katana+led+headlight+bulbs&qid=1576200008&sprefix=Katanas+led,aps,234&sr=8-15 About 12 bucks less, is brightness the main difference? Or are these the ones that are too long? Also, getting to the driver's side low beam looks like a bit of a PITA! I did pull the cap (interesting about the packets of desiccant under the cap) but I'm wondering if you can change this side w/o pulling the fuse box?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SCCA - Thanks for the continuing posts on this. After reading the thread yesterday, I found these on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-HB3-Adjustable/dp/B07GKC818Q/ref=sr_1_15?crid=MA5W0SKKLQ2L&keywords=katana+led+headlight+bulbs&qid=1576200008&sprefix=Katanas+led,aps,234&sr=8-15 About 12 bucks less, is brightness the main difference? Or are these the ones that are too long? Also, getting to the driver's side low beam looks like a bit of a PITA! I did pull the cap (interesting about the packets of desiccant under the cap) but I'm wondering if you can change this side w/o pulling the fuse box?

Thanks again.
They seems too long i dont advice to buy unless you want to remove the back bulb cover which might case damage to the headlights later

If you want i found one which is fit inside without any problem and the light output is decent pm me if you interested

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
75 Posts
If you want i found one which is fit inside without any problem and the light output is decent pm me if you interested
Thanks Yossry, I think I'm leaning toward the Katana ones now. If anyone else is looking at these on Amazon, I just saw this https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gc_10p50_vc_hi_nov?ie=UTF8&node=11158618011 The bulbs are $49. This offer looks like it sells you a $50 Amazon gift card, and gives you a $15 Amazon credit after you make the card purchase, so essentially you're getting the bulbs for $35. Assuming you think you can use the $15 credit later on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Yossry, I think I'm leaning toward the Katana ones now. If anyone else is looking at these on Amazon, I just saw this https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gc_10p50_vc_hi_nov?ie=UTF8&node=11158618011 The bulbs are $49. This offer looks like it sells you a $50 Amazon gift card, and gives you a $15 Amazon credit after you make the card purchase, so essentially you're getting the bulbs for $35. Assuming you think you can use the $15 credit later on.
I believe if you getting the bulb for 35$ but you can't close the headlights back that will case dust and moist to go inside the headlight and it will be basically useless and it will cost you more to clean and repair if that possible and the one i sent to you cost 40 and it fits without any issue if you are interested i can send you some videos just send your whatsapp or telegram number and I will send you some videos

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
75 Posts
SCCA - Finally got a chance to look into this a little more. There's a shop manual online for the Forte which says you have to completely pull the entire headlamp assembly in order to just change the BULBS:

http://www.kifomanual.com/head_lamps_removal-1514.html

That's not TOOOO bad, but you have to remove the entire front bumper cover to do it! Ridiculous, gotta wonder who DESIGNED this setup... I was able to get both bulbs out on the passenger side, but it looks nearly impossible to get to the driver's side low beams without either removing the headlamp assy as described, or maybe pulling the fuse panel which sits right behind the low beam cover. See pics.

Also, do the replacements recommended in this post simply twist back into place & attach to existing connectors as the halogens do? Thanks for any further info/suggestions!

Driver's side low beam w/fuse panel right behind:
20191221_184434.jpg

Passenger side low beam:

Passenger side low beam halogen bulb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a pain for sure, but it's somewhat doable to swap without taking headlights out. I looked into removing the fuse box, but that is a no go.

I have pretty big hands but was able to complete the install. It's not perfect because I was never able to rotate the light enough to have it click in place, so the led base plate is not sitting perfectly vertical, but like the instructions say, you have to remove the headlight to get a good grip on the LED bulb to lock it in place and perfectly vertical. Later I will need to remove the bumper cover anyway, so I will address the issue then.

There are some weird things About the lights on our cars. For the 2nd gen forte, they has very detailed drawings and instructions on how to swap out all the bulbs, but for our generation they have decided to just say" take it to the dealership" for many of the bulbs. All the bulbs, such as turn signals, reverse lights, are instructed to replace the bulbs at the dealership.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts