Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know what you mean about the "take it to the dealer" crap. I've done a lot on cars, up to complete engine rebuilds, but my last car was a 2003 Mitsubishi EVO 8 (just about perfect, if it had ONLY gotten better GAS MILEAGE... ;-) so I'm just getting up to speed with how things have changed in 16 years. Another example is shop manuals. In the past, I've always bought a factory shop manual immediately with a new car. These days, there are no print factory manuals, just online, like the link I posted, which seems to lack a lot of info, or pay out the ass for the official KIA manual at Snap On, where access for just 72 hours is $19, a full year, $1500! But as they say, this is just out of their concern for YOU, lacking specialized tools, training, etc. Yeah. Of course they don't want you to work on your own car, when they can weasel money out of you by forcing you to go to the dealer. Better not try a warranty claim though. Tried that last summer with a fuel odor problem; surprise surprise, the highly skilled "pros" at the dealer with all their tools & training just couldn't seem to "replicate the problem."

I'm going to order the bulbs this week, I will try to pull the fuse box. What trouble did you run into with that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well i have to say that i managed to change it with removing anything just back cover of bulb and little bit of acrobat move from front tire opening and its done no remove fornt bumper nor headlight assembly

Any one have managed to change drl to fog lights yet please contact me thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally got around to installing the LED bulbs, SOOOOOOOOOO much better!!! Passenger side isn't too bad, but there is simply NO WAY I could have installed the LED on the driver's side w/o removing some bits 1st. Here're some pics of the process for the driver's side bulb. I pulled the battery, relay box (Kia's term for the fuse box in the "engine room," as they call under the hood! Sounds like we're aboard a submarine! ;-) and air cleaner assy. If you do this, remove the battery 1st, and ALWAYS disconnect the negative lead as the 1st step! The relay box has a plastic peg that goes into the fender, had to pry a bit with a small flat bar to work it loose, but doable. The badly drawn white arrows point to the low beam location. I've driven the car about 15 miles on a dark, rainy night, the light is WAY better than the virtually worthless halogens & no error message or other issues. Bulbs & converters fit fine inside the headlight assy's & the caps go right back in place. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finally got around to installing the LED bulbs, SOOOOOOOOOO much better!!! Passenger side isn't too bad, but there is simply NO WAY I could have installed the LED on the driver's side w/o removing some bits 1st. Here're some pics of the process for the driver's side bulb. I pulled the battery, relay box (Kia's term for the fuse box in the "engine room," as they call under the hood! Sounds like we're aboard a submarine! ;-) and air cleaner assy. If you do this, remove the battery 1st, and ALWAYS disconnect the negative lead as the 1st step! The relay box has a plastic peg that goes into the fender, had to pry a bit with a small flat bar to work it loose, but doable. The badly drawn white arrows point to the low beam location. I've driven the car about 15 miles on a dark, rainy night, the light is WAY better than the virtually worthless halogens & no error message or other issues. Bulbs & converters fit fine inside the headlight assy's & the caps go right back in place. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

View attachment 79544
Well glad to see that you managed to install it at least

Can you share which type of leds bulbs you have installed and dose it fit in the housing with back cover installed and what about brightness

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yossry - I installed these: Amazon.com: KATANA 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Bulbs - CREE Chips w/Adjustable Beam - 12000Lm 6500K Extremely Bright Conversion Kit: Automotive Pretty easy to install, on the passenger side as it is, and on the driver's side once I got the relay box, etc. out of the way, which is pretty straightforward. Bulbs twist into place/fully seat just like the halogens, everything fits inside the headlight assembly, and the cover goes back on just as it had. The light output & width is MUCH better than the stock halogens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of the problem will be in the bottom part for your bulb i think the housing cover wouldn't fit with this bulb photo you attached and if it closed it might be too wide to fit in place

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most of the problem will be in the bottom part for your bulb i think the housing cover wouldn't fit with this bulb photo you attached and if it closed it might be too wide to fit in place

I was hoping it would fit. I have been using this company for years for LEDs. I never had one fail I used them on my motorcycle with a ton of vibration.

They also sell caps for headlight housings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was hoping it would fit. I have been using this company for years for LEDs. I never had one fail I used them on my motorcycle with a ton of vibration.

They also sell caps for headlight housings.

Well i am sorry to tell you there is high chance it won't fit

I had hard time finding a pair of bulbs that fit with back cover closed till i found these bulbs i believe i have seen another kitiana bulbs that also fit i cant remember which one but if you look here in the fourm i pretty sure that you will find a link

Any way the output of mine is much better than original halogen bulbs but not as much as i expected

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well i am sorry to tell you there is high chance it won't fit

I had hard time finding a pair of bulbs that fit with back cover closed till i found these bulbs i believe i have seen another kitiana bulbs that also fit i cant remember which one but if you look here in the fourm i pretty sure that you will find a link

Any way the output of mine is much better than original halogen bulbs but not as much as i expected

That’s what I was afraid of. My last car had HID headlights and loves the light output. This fortes headlights are killin me. I’m just looking for a much brighter LED bulb since I do a lot of night driving

Thank you for your input, I didn’t want to buy something and not have it fit

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well it seems like it would fit as the bulbs is not too long as of the photos but if you have the exact length it should be under 83 mm
And you will need adapter as well for the high beam please see photo

Do you have a link to the adapter? Or to a different LED bulb for high beams that maybe doesn't require the adapter?
Thanks.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts