Kia Forte Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I'd provide a final update on the LED upgrades on my 2020 Forte GT-line in case it helps anyone. Over the course of about a month, I ordered and tested 4 different 9005 low-beam bulbs, 3 different H7 high-beam bulbs, and 3 different 9006 fog light bulbs.

I ended up going with the following:
Low-beam (9005/HB3): Amazon - Sealight 9005 6000K, 8000 lumens per pair
High-beam (H7): Lasfit Pro Series H7 6000K, 7600 lumens per pair
Fog Light (9006/HB4): Amazon - Sealight 9006 6000K, 4000 lumens per pair

I spent a bit extra on the Lasfit custom H7's because it's the only bulb on the market (afaik) which has a custom adapter to fit the Kia H7 housing AND doesn't have a power supply block. I couldn't get any adapters to work with the other H7 bulbs I tried from Amazon, and the high-beam compartment behind the dust cover isn't large enough to fit a power supply block.

I went with all 6000K bulbs because I liked the pure white light. The 6500K bulbs I tried had a slight blue-ish tint that I didn't really like. And I wasn't interested in yellow fog lights - I like to keep my fog lights on all the time, and I wanted the color to match my low beams.

The LED fan noise is only noticeable to me when the engine is off and the lights are on. Radio reception seems unaltered by the LEDs. I ended up with LEDs that weren't anywhere near the highest light output (lumens) you can find, but they are still very bright and light up the road very well - much better than the stock halogens. I don't need stadium flood lights on my car, I just wanted white light that would provide good visibility without blinding oncoming drivers.

Installation was pretty straight-forward. I was able to access the driver's side low-beam without removing any other parts. It is a very tight squeeze, and you will most likely scratch up the back of your hands in the process, but it was possible for me. I used both hands to get a fingertip or two from each hand on the bulb to twist it. I used the cord of the LED as a point of leverage for the final turn to lock into place. The high-beams are pretty easily accessible. Lasfit has youtube videos showing the process for a 2019 Forte. The dust covers on the high-beams have a filler/insert that are held in place by a small screw which you need to remove. This allows plenty of space for the fan ballast. For the fog lights, you need to remove the cover underneath the front of the car which is secured by a number of plastic push-pin fasteners and four screws.

Other bulbs that I tried and returned:
Low-beam (9005)
Amazon - Katana 9005 - Blue-ish tint
Amazon - Qcheye 9005 - Poor light pattern with dark spots
Amazon - Auxito 9005 - Too bright IMO...don't want to blind oncoming drivers and be flashed all the time

High-beam (H7)
Amazon - Katana H7 - Blue-ish tint, couldn't get adapter to work, power supply block didn't fit inside dust compartment
Amazon - Diamond Vision H7 (link goes to 9005, the H7 version must be out of stock) - Couldn't get adapter to work, power supply block didn't fit inside dust compartment

Fog light (9006)
Amazon - Katana 9006 - WAY too bright...dangerous for oncoming drivers...not meant for fog lights
Amazon - Alla Lighting 9006 - Too dim, caused error code

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hi, I also bought a 2020 GT Line and I’m looking to switch out the bulbs as well. I follow the links to the amazon page for the bulbs, but it says they don’t fit my vehicle. I’m sure it’s wrong since obviously you already installed them. I just wanted to double check since the link to the low beam lights say high beams once you get to the amazon page.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I also bought a 2020 GT Line and I’m looking to switch out the bulbs as well. I follow the links to the amazon page for the bulbs, but it says they don’t fit my vehicle. I’m sure it’s wrong since obviously you already installed them. I just wanted to double check since the link to the low beam lights say high beams once you get to the amazon page.
Yeah, Amazon is wrong. The types I listed are the correct types.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How did you get these adapters to fit on the H7 led? When I try to install them under the led collar, I can't get the collar to re-attach to the led post because the adapter is 1-2mm too tall.

Also, how did you get the led power supply block to fit inside the protected area behind the dust cover? I could not make it fit no matter what I tried. Or did you just leave the dust cover off of the high beams?
Well sorry for replying late i was busy for a while
You are saying that the adapter is too long that would depend on the bulb design not all bulbs looks the same and as i mentioned before it needs very short bulb with enough room for adapter plus the power unit should be small
One more thing i believe that cover have some pillow for moist or something i cant really tell but you can try to remove it might help with installation and please feel free to contact me at any time

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, Amazon is wrong. The types I listed are the correct types.
When you installed the low beams did the end piece clip on? I just got mine today put them on and everything works, but the end connector doesn’t clip on like the OEM one. I don’t want to leave it and have it disconnect while driving.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you installed the low beams did the end piece clip on? I just got mine today put them on and everything works, but the end connector doesn’t clip on like the OEM one. I don’t want to leave it and have it disconnect while driving.
What clip you are talking about

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you talking about the electrical connector? I’m pretty sure mine snapped together securely. If yours doesn’t have a lip for the connector to snap onto, maybe just wrap the connection in electrical tape to prevent it from disconnecting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you talking about the electrical connector? I’m pretty sure mine snapped together securely. If yours doesn’t have a lip for the connector to snap onto, maybe just wrap the connection in electrical tape to prevent it from disconnecting?
Yeah that’s the one. Mine has the lip but the connector doesn’t reach to snap into place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought the sealight 9006 fog lights from the link above. Install was quick and easy. These new bright white LED’s are a definite upgrade from the stock. New purchase will be the headlights now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next I wanted to address the DRLs (daytime running lights) on my car. On USA Fortes that are FE and LXS trims, the DRL is actually where traditional foglights would go on a car. On S, GT Line, EX, and GT trims, they have LED DRLs installed in the main headlight assembly, so they actually have real foglights. The DRLs on my FE uses halogen bulbs, which make it look kind of cheap, so I wanted to change that to an LED as well. After doing a bunch of research, I figured out what bulb goes in the bottom DRLs of the FE and LXS models. Contrary to what has been posted, it is NOT 1157 bulbs. They are 1156 bulbs. I wanted to give my DRLs a more custom look so I went with yellow LEDs (3000K) to mimic having traditional foglights. I installed 3000K yellow LEDs in the foglights of my Focus RS and it looked great, so I was hoping it would look good on the Forte. I took pics after swapping one bulb so you guys can see the difference. It looks great in person and very bright. No error codes on my dash because I used the right bulb (1156).

View attachment 79428
View attachment 79429
View attachment 79430
View attachment 79431
Hello may I know for the 1156. What is the pin type to use? BAU15s or ba15s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next I wanted to address the DRLs (daytime running lights) on my car. On USA Fortes that are FE and LXS trims, the DRL is actually where traditional foglights would go on a car. On S, GT Line, EX, and GT trims, they have LED DRLs installed in the main headlight assembly, so they actually have real foglights. The DRLs on my FE uses halogen bulbs, which make it look kind of cheap, so I wanted to change that to an LED as well. After doing a bunch of research, I figured out what bulb goes in the bottom DRLs of the FE and LXS models. Contrary to what has been posted, it is NOT 1157 bulbs. They are 1156 bulbs. I wanted to give my DRLs a more custom look so I went with yellow LEDs (3000K) to mimic having traditional foglights. I installed 3000K yellow LEDs in the foglights of my Focus RS and it looked great, so I was hoping it would look good on the Forte. I took pics after swapping one bulb so you guys can see the difference. It looks great in person and very bright. No error codes on my dash because I used the right bulb (1156).

View attachment 79428
View attachment 79429
View attachment 79430
View attachment 79431

View attachment 79428
View attachment 79429
View attachment 79430
View attachment 79431
Hello. May I ask how do you change the foglight DRL? Do you need to remove the bumper?

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 79428
View attachment 79429
View attachment 79430
View attachment 79431
Do you have the link for the DRL bulbs you installed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The name of the bulbs are called Katanas, and I bought them on Amazon. Our fitment for the FE and LXS is 9005. Make sure you buy the ones that have a seperate "processing" box. They sell an "all in one" bulb where the electronics are incorporated into the bulb, but we can't use that one because it's too long.
On amazon it says does not fit 2020 Kia Forte. Idk if I’m looking at the right ones

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
This thread has been super helpful in my pursuit to change out my DRLs to LEDs; however, I've ran into a problem. I bought 1156 bulbs to replace my dying, original bulbs. But after installing them, I got the error to check my DRLs. I'm guessing not all 1156 bulbs don't work? They light up and look nice but I still get the error.

Here are the exact bulbs I bought: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...u8I2h_DUFG0vDEo8VHRoCtb0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a 2019 Kia Forte FE.

I'm lost to what I should try next at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The name of the bulbs are called Katanas, and I bought them on Amazon. Our fitment for the FE and LXS is 9005. Make sure you buy the ones that have a seperate "processing" box. They sell an "all in one" bulb where the electronics are incorporated into the bulb, but we can't use that one because it's too long.
Hi SCCA Are u still using the same LEDs? Do the led did any damage to ur plastic lis or anything around it? Please let me know I have the same car as you even the color. But I will like to our some LED for the low head lights. Please answer my question. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cisco, did you find the correct LEDs for your forte 2020? If so wish ones? I'm still looking for my 21 forte Fe. Thx
Well i have installed the drl and got no error
This one

US $14.83 31%OFF | 2x S25 1157 BAY15D 30W 50W 80W Cree Chip LED Bulb P21/5W Car Reverse Tail Backup Brake Turn Parking Signal Light White/Red/Amber

Its working great installed it year ago

Sent from my M2007J3SY using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 93 Posts