Kia Forte Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey eengert, so will i need the h7 adapter to install the 9005 led in the low beams? i also have the same gt line trim.
No, h7 isn't an adapter. 9005 and h7 are two different bulb housing types. The h7 is for high-beam on our cars, and 9005/HB3 is for low-beam.

The 9005 doesn't require any special adapters - it should be plug 'n play. The h7 does require a special adapter in our cars. I had trouble getting add-on adapters to work (others have had success), so I spent a bit extra for these, which come with the adapter already built-in: Lasfit Pro Series H7.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
I’m still throwing a code with lasfit 1156 bulbs any ideas?
If you install non-resister equipped LED bulbs the computer will not detect the correct wattage and you get the code. I found this out trying LED replacements in my fog lights to get rid of the yellow (I ended up going to Silverstar Ultra white halogens). You have to use a resister if you want to go with non-resister-equipped LEDs - but the resister will get hot and you have to make sure to locate it away from any plastics!

LED Resistor Kit (pair) (diodedynamics.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
SCCA - Finally got a chance to look into this a little more. There's a shop manual online for the Forte which says you have to completely pull the entire headlamp assembly in order to just change the BULBS:

Kia Forte: Head Lamps Removal - Lighting System - Body Electrical System - Kia Forte TD 2014-2018 Service Manual

That's not TOOOO bad, but you have to remove the entire front bumper cover to do it! Ridiculous, gotta wonder who DESIGNED this setup... I was able to get both bulbs out on the passenger side, but it looks nearly impossible to get to the driver's side low beams without either removing the headlamp assy as described, or maybe pulling the fuse panel which sits right behind the low beam cover. See pics.

Also, do the replacements recommended in this post simply twist back into place & attach to existing connectors as the halogens do? Thanks for any further info/suggestions!

Driver's side low beam w/fuse panel right behind:
View attachment 79449

Passenger side low beam:
View attachment 79450

Passenger side low beam halogen bulb:
View attachment 79452
What lights did you end up getting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next I wanted to address the DRLs (daytime running lights) on my car. On USA Fortes that are FE and LXS trims, the DRL is actually where traditional foglights would go on a car. On S, GT Line, EX, and GT trims, they have LED DRLs installed in the main headlight assembly, so they actually have real foglights. The DRLs on my FE uses halogen bulbs, which make it look kind of cheap, so I wanted to change that to an LED as well. After doing a bunch of research, I figured out what bulb goes in the bottom DRLs of the FE and LXS models. Contrary to what has been posted, it is NOT 1157 bulbs. They are 1156 bulbs. I wanted to give my DRLs a more custom look so I went with yellow LEDs (3000K) to mimic having traditional foglights. I installed 3000K yellow LEDs in the foglights of my Focus RS and it looked great, so I was hoping it would look good on the Forte. I took pics after swapping one bulb so you guys can see the difference. It looks great in person and very bright. No error codes on my dash because I used the right bulb (1156).

View attachment 79428
View attachment 79429
View attachment 79430
View attachment 79431
How were you able to turn on your DRL at night?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all
This thread has been super helpful in my pursuit to change out my DRLs to LEDs; however, I've ran into a problem. I bought 1156 bulbs to replace my dying, original bulbs. But after installing them, I got the error to check my DRLs. I'm guessing not all 1156 bulbs don't work? They light up and look nice but I still get the error.

Here are the exact bulbs I bought: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I have a 2019 Kia Forte FE.

I'm lost to what I should try next at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was wondering if you were able to solve this issue. I bought the same bulbs and having the same issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks OP.
Installed these yesterday. Wife has given thumbs up.
One thing that helped with the driver side install was a right angle pick, inserted into the heatsink fins to help get some torque on the thing.

Assuming they don't throw codes, my only concern now is longevity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first car in a long time that didn't come with HID lights, and I hated the yellow that the halogens produced. So I wanted to swap to LEDs, but when I researched it, it seems there are a LOT of bad LEDs out there. Focal length, LED position, LED diode shape are all important to produce good lighting that isn't worse than what the original halogens put out. It took me a lot of research on other car forums to find a good LED bulb to use in our Forte, but I found them. Here is a pic showing one headlight swapped: View attachment 79421
View attachment 79422
View attachment 79423
View attachment 79424
View attachment 79425
View attachment 79426

Biggest issue with the install is getting the bulbs to "click" and lock fully in place. The hole for bulb access is small and positioned oddly. In the pics I don't think it was clicked all the way in. Judging by the beam pattern it looks like the bulb needs to rotate another couple more degrees, but I can't get enough grip or leverage on it without taking the headlight out. But for now, it's fine the way it is. The headlights look great, and are quite a bit brighter than the stock halogen bulbs as you can see in the pics.
It dose the soft thing with led no issue i have it running no issue on mine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
i recently bought LEDs for my DRLs and they work perfectly fine but for some reason it says check headlight on my dash and im not sure why its saying that because as i said they are working perfectly fine, does anyone know why or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i recently bought LEDs for my DRLs and they work perfectly fine but for some reason it says check headlight on my dash and I'm not sure why its saying that because as i said they are working perfectly fine, does anyone know why or have any suggestions?
They do not draw enough load, so the ECU thinks there is a problem.
You can add load with a resistor I think there is a youtube video on that very subject for the forte.

I threw more money at the issue, and got 1156s from deAutoLED they guarantee no codes. Indeed, they do not throw codes for my Forte. And they are hella bright compared to the amazon cheapies I purchased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yossry - I installed these: Amazon.com: KATANA 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Bulbs - CREE Chips w/Adjustable Beam - 12000Lm 6500K Extremely Bright Conversion Kit: Automotive Pretty easy to install, on the passenger side as it is, and on the driver's side once I got the relay box, etc. out of the way, which is pretty straightforward. Bulbs twist into place/fully seat just like the halogens, everything fits inside the headlight assembly, and the cover goes back on just as it had. The light output & width is MUCH better than the stock halogens.
would these fit on a ‘21 GT-Line? I would rather go LED. Having a hard time finding something on Amazon that says it “fits” my vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the link:

hey bro did you end buying these for your ‘20 Forte? If so, how did they work for you? Wanting to replace my high beams also but on a ‘21

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

New 2021 Kia Forte EX (Canada) here.
Has anyone tried with a 2021 model yet?
The stock headlights are borderline dangerous and I want to upgrade them but would like to avoid permanent modification (it's a lease).

Cheers

81 - 93 of 93 Posts