Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Any intake under the hood that u can see the air filter is not a true cai and will suck in warm air. I like the sealed factory look and cold air intake from the same location as the factory does from afe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there pictures of the sides/back to where u see the filter possibly exposed? Plus that is 2017. Picture looks non turbo.
This is the front view. Both sides are open just
The top and bottom is covered, you cant really see it on the pics they put if whether you can see the filter or not once installed. Also yea it says its for the 2017 veloster turbo. But thats why im not sure if itll work for me. Im just looking for a carb exempt one and the one from afe is not.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
This is the front view. Both sides are open just
The top and bottom is covered, you cant really see it on the pics they put if whether you can see the filter or not once installed. Also yea it says its for the 2017 veloster turbo. But thats why im not sure if itll work for me. Im just looking for a carb exempt one and the one from afe is not.
Call afe and ask why or if they have carb exempt. Only reason i can think of is its not factory and that it produces more exhaust gas discharge, or smog related.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT DCT
17 Posts
Don't know if this counts as a performance mod, but I did a muffler and resonator delete today. Sounds really good but kinda drones in the lower rpms, I might put the resonator back in. For some reason I can't post a video from my phone but I'll try doing it from my laptop later.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT DCT
17 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new to performance mods and I was looking at eibachs springs and sway bars. I wanted to get the springs to lower the stance of the car but I noticed that most people change the sway bars first. I can't afford both right now and was wondering what you guys would recommend I do first.
And any other manufacturer suggestions would be great too! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Anyone installing a aftermarket BOV its highly recommended to purchase MAC BOV SOLENOID UPGRADE. This will eliminate issues with aftermarket BOVs. MAC BOV Solenoid Upgrade for turbocharged Kia and Hyundai vehicles. Doesn't have to be from this company but its alrdy set up for you to plug and play that's why its that price. Im getting my replacement BOV tomorrow and ordered the MAC solenoid as well. Im also thinking to install a boost gauge while im doing all this. Still no info on boost numbers to be found. So once everything gets shipped and installed ill update information.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
42 Posts
Anyone installing a aftermarket BOV its highly recommended to purchase MAC BOV SOLENOID UPGRADE. This will eliminate issues with aftermarket BOVs. MAC BOV Solenoid Upgrade for turbocharged Kia and Hyundai vehicles. Doesn't have to be from this company but its alrdy set up for you to plug and play that's why its that price. Im getting my replacement BOV tomorrow and ordered the MAC solenoid as well. Im also thinking to install a boost gauge while im doing all this. Still no info on boost numbers to be found. So once everything gets shipped and installed ill update information.
How long did it take for your ECU to throw a CEL? I have been using an aftermarket diverter valve for a few weeks, but I'm recirculated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
How long did it take for your ECU to throw a CEL? I have been using an aftermarket diverter valve for a few weeks, but I'm recirculated.

No CEL error, failure of the BOV piston was the issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Curious. What's the purpose of a MAC valve if you don't experience a CEL, but a failure in the BOV itself?

MAC valve is a much faster operating valve that will help eliminate fluttering and allow for a crisper release of your blow-off valve. These flow more and allow for higher boost pressures than stock. The MAC 35 series is a direct solenoid operated 3-way poppet valve. It features a short stroke solenoid, a balanced poppet and powerful return spring. These features translate into high shifting forces, fast consistent response times, and long life. Our unique balanced design means versatility in piping. Straight from the information on the site. Kinda a must if going with a aftermarket BOV. The BOV failure didn't not throw any CEL when it dumping boost do failure of the piston in the open position. It probably won't either.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
42 Posts
MAC valve is a much faster operating valve that will help eliminate fluttering and allow for a crisper release of your blow-off valve. These flow more and allow for higher boost pressures than stock. The MAC 35 series is a direct solenoid operated 3-way poppet valve. It features a short stroke solenoid, a balanced poppet and powerful return spring. These features translate into high shifting forces, fast consistent response times, and long life. Our unique balanced design means versatility in piping. Straight from the information on the site. Kinda a must if going with a aftermarket BOV. The BOV failure didn't not throw any CEL when it dumping boost do failure of the piston in the open position. It probably won't either.
Good to know. I guess the Elantra Sport guy advocate the MAC valve because they have experienced CEL with an aftermarket BOV. They seem to have a liking to HKS SSQV BOV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yeah the MAC is just a better part for additions of better parts. So yeah i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah the MAC is just a better part for additions of better parts. So yeah i highly recommend it.
An aftermarket boost solenoid WILL void engine warranties. If you blow the motor they will system check your car to look for over boosting in the systems memory.

If you get a quality BOV you shouldn't have an issue. I've used GFB in the past and never had an issue. I have a GFB Respons on my Gt running 50/50 on a high piston load. Boomba are very cheap bov and I would never put one on my car. I've known several people with focus st that had issues with them and switched to other brands. Also the injen intake even not closed still sucks cold air from the wheel well. My IAT was slightly higher by 3° with my injen cai. But flows better. The afe intakes are just a factory intake they put a round filter on. If you want that just buy a high flow flat filter and save yourself 200 bucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
An aftermarket boost solenoid WILL void engine warranties. If you blow the motor they will system check your car to look for over boosting in the systems memory.

If you get a quality BOV you shouldn't have an issue. I've used GFB in the past and never had an issue. I have a GFB Respons on my Gt running 50/50 on a high piston load. Boomba are very cheap bov and I would never put one on my car. I've known several people with focus st that had issues with them and switched to other brands. Also the injen intake even not closed still sucks cold air from the wheel well. My IAT was slightly higher by 3° with my injen cai. But flows better. The afe intakes are just a factory intake they put a round filter on. If you want that just buy a high flow flat filter and save yourself 200 bucks.
So the only way the solenoid will void warranty is if it causes a issue for stuff to fail is the cause of a failure. I think you need to look into aftermarket parts voiding factory warranties. When i contacted GFB they also recommended the MAC solenoid. Even if you use greddy and hks the MAC solenoid is recommended. Afe is just not factory cai. I think you need to do more research and start actually talking to these companies instead of putting out false information. If you are implying that this MAC will blow ur engine that is LOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For anyone with the aFe cold air intake, and also considering purchasing the Sxth Element Oil Catch Can, think again. The air box is a little too big unfortunately and hits the catch can. Also don't know how you'd run the lines from the catch can even if there was clearance. Going to see what Sxth recommends. I'll need a different bracket to install the catch can somewhere else. The alternative is taking the air box out, but the filter would be potentially bouncing around, plus that sort of eliminates the "cold air" part of the cold air intake. Anyone else have an oil catch can? Where'd you put it? I'm thinking passenger side near the strut mount.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
For anyone with the aFe cold air intake, and also considering purchasing the Sxth Element Oil Catch Can, think again. The air box is a little too big unfortunately and hits the catch can. Also don't know how you'd run the lines from the catch can even if there was clearance. Going to see what Sxth recommends. I'll need a different bracket to install the catch can somewhere else. The alternative is taking the air box out, but the filter would be potentially bouncing around, plus that sort of eliminates the "cold air" part of the cold air intake. Anyone else have an oil catch can? Where'd you put it? I'm thinking passenger side near the strut mount. View attachment 79961

Call them and im sure they can tell you where to put it in a different location.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts