Kia Forte Forum banner

261 - 280 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a bargain for the amount of things it's capable of. They don't offer discounts, but the others aren't better products either.

That said if you want to run E85 or WMI, among other things you want the JB4 and it's worth the price compared to bench flashes.

You can get a bench flash for just under $500. I know Tork and LAP3 have more options such as E85, 2 step launch control and higher rev limits. Sxth offers a OE+ tune that basically fixes the rich condition, cleans up the timing curve a bit and increase boost maybe 1-2 psi at most which is the most you can get away with on pump gas and the stock intercooler.

It really depends how much power you want to make and it's not risky, we aren't running the engine hotter or turning it more RPM, all things that would shorten its lifespan.

My goal is 300whp and I'm already at 251 whp
Are you on a dyno? How are you estimating your whp? What psi are your running to get 251whp? I would guess you would need 25ish psi at 6k. I am looking to get this car for a daily and want something responsive...and with the piggyback tune..it seems to make a big difference. It seems this is a much better deal than a Civic SI if you are not trying to mod the fuck out of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I made 251.70 hp @5485 rpm and 268.52 ft of torque @3670 rpm on Map 4

On the same Dynapak Dyno I've been using since I bought the car in June.

Max boost was 23 psi but goes between 23-20 until 5500 rpm drops to 17 psi by redline

Maps 1-4 have tapper at high rpm. Because if you hold say 23 psi all the way to fuel cut, maybe the fuel pressure fluctuates because of E85 and makes the air-fuel ratio go lean.

That is why you datalog each Map especially on E85 to see if that's a problem. Up to this point it's not a problem and more E85 can be run, likely E40 before the PCM says no and gives you a lean MIL/Check Engine Light.

Boost should not be used as a way to predict horsepower, it doesn't tell you how much power you make in relation to the fuel used, ambient temps or exhaust back-pressure. I can likely make the same power with less boost which is what you want as boost is a measure of the restriction in the engine...

I bought this because it's a better value than the Civic SI and makes more power stock. But and there's a big but if you know how to make horsepower with limits of the engine. If Sxth Element can make 407 whp with just a turbo upgrade (GTX2867) as the main mechanical change then how much can you really make?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boost + Displacement at a given RPM will give you air mass (lbs of air / minute). You can certainly estimate horsepower from air mass. Knowing fueling is also required. There is a reason I gave an RPM # as well. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Boost + Displacement at a given RPM will give you air mass (lbs of air / minute). You can certainly estimate horsepower from air mass. Knowing fueling is also required. There is a reason I gave an RPM # as well. Thanks for the info.
There is no compressor or turbine map for the stock turbo.

Comparing apples to apples, one car JB4, intake (hot air) and cat-back exhaust made 230 whp (E30) on the same type of dyno but with different conditions. It was much hotter (108 vs 78) and his car is a Forte5 SX (2018) and it's DCT.

I made 244 whp on Map 3

I know how the Ecoboost community loves to watch the mass air flow data coming from the Cobb AP as it could possibly tell them how much power they are making. But as I said that data is incomplete and if you do what the average tuner does it's not optimized at all.

I am not disclosing exactly what I did because that data is incomplete. But the main reason is, I dug up all this stuff myself.

There's lots of correlation here, you can start there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! I just recently got my forte gt and I want to start doing some light mods on it. Unfortunately, I'm new when it comes to mods so I came here for some advice. So I'm currently looking into a JB4 piggyback and with some research, I was recommended to get some new spark plugs. I was just wondering if anyone could share where they bought their spark plugs or had any advice to give when it comes to which ones to pick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You don't need to change your spark plugs. All you need to do is re-gap them from .028 stock down to .022

I run stock re-gapped plugs all the way to Map 4, no problems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #268

·
Registered
128 Posts
i doubt seriously anybody needs new coils but for the people with the Forte 5 SX or Forte Koup SX. You would be surprised how much power you can make on modern OE ignition systems.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This thread has some good info! I saw the Takeda intakes available on this thread and decided to buy the open Takeda intake from Panda Motorworks.
If you haven't installed an aftermarket intake you don't know what you're missing!
The factory intake tubing makes no sense - from the grill it makes a 90 degree turn to the right then a 90 degree turn down then another 90 degrees to the filter box!!!!
Might be good for sound abatement but it sure kills performance!
2021 Forte GT:
Takeda Intake 2.jpg
Takeda Intake 3.jpg
Takeda Intake 4.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
This thread has some good info! I saw the Takeda intakes available on this thread and decided to buy the open Takeda intake from Panda Motorworks.
If you haven't installed an aftermarket intake you don't know what you're missing!
The factory intake tubing makes no sense - from the grill it makes a 90 degree turn to the right then a 90 degree turn down then another 90 degrees to the filter box!!!!
2021 Forte GT:
View attachment 80997 View attachment 80998 View attachment 80999
Pair it with this from velossa tech:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
BUMP

Added Dynamic Pro Sport Coilovers 2020+ Kia Forte GT and Redline Tuning Hood Quick Lift links to 1st page.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2021 Forte GT:
View attachment 80997 View attachment 80998 View attachment 80999
That might be true, but whatever gain you got was lost by removing the top cover of the air box. Of course the Takeda intake with the open top is by design.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
BUMP

Added Dynamic Pro Sport Coilovers 2020+ Kia Forte GT and Redline Tuning Hood Quick Lift links to 1st page.

The Redline Tuning Hood Lift Links are a neat idea - I installed them on my wife's 2010 Forte SX sedan and my 2010 Forte Koup SX But I won't do that again!!! There was no problem with the lifts themselves - they worked great - but when I took the cars in for servicing the dealer's mechanics didn't know they were in there and they would man-handle the hood and lift it up hard, and broke the plastic mounting ends of the lift links!!!

Since the mechanics knew the Forte doesn't have hydraulic lifts, when they felt the resistance of the hydraulic lifts while opening the hood their inclination was to increase the amount of force to open the hood and the result was broken link ends. I even told the Service manager about the hood hydraulic lifts - but that info didn't get to the mechanics.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
The Redline Tuning Hood Lift Links are a neat idea - I installed them on my wife's 2010 Forte SX sedan and my 2010 Forte Koup SX But I won't do that again!!! There was no problem with the lifts themselves - they worked great - but when I took the cars in for servicing the dealer's mechanics didn't know they were in there and they would man-handle the hood and lift it up hard, and broke the plastic mounting ends of the lift links!!!

Since the mechanics knew the Forte doesn't have hydraulic lifts, when they felt the resistance of the hydraulic lifts while opening the hood their inclination was to increase the amount of force to open the hood and the result was broken link ends. I even told the Service manager about the hood hydraulic lifts - but that info didn't get to the mechanics.

Never had this happen on any of my/family's new vehicles with warranty that I had dealership work on to keep records. Oof I would switched dealership. I did the same here told them they had lifts and common sense was used. My service rep is awesome and has a great crew working in the shop. U can tell right away when releasing the hood latch it auto goes up. None of the cars lifts got damaged.

261 - 280 of 294 Posts