Kia Forte Forum banner

301 - 320 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed the order just a bit because of Black Friday specials. I have the Takeda cai, velossa big mouth, SXTH hot pipe and M45XL plugs on the way.

I'm excited to get something going on this car. I've really been enjoying the drive, I have had it about a year.

I have ceramic tint and custom stereo components installed so far, this will be the first performance upgrades.

I'll probably get the JB4 on the way in a week or two.

Will the stock BOV Solenoid and BOV hold or should those be upgraded as well?

·
Registered
‘20 Forte GT2
3 Posts
I’ve noticed the JB4 has been the more popular choice over the RaceChip recently, is there a general reason for this? Or just preference?

Ive had the GTS racechip in for a few months now, and really enjoy it. I’m definitely curious about that JB4 though

Has anyone experienced both?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I changed the order just a bit because of Black Friday specials. I have the Takeda cai, velossa big mouth, SXTH hot pipe and M45XL plugs on the way.

I'm excited to get something going on this car. I've really been enjoying the drive, I have had it about a year.

I have ceramic tint and custom stereo components installed so far, this will be the first performance upgrades.

I'll probably get the JB4 on the way in a week or two.

Will the stock BOV Solenoid and BOV hold or should those be upgraded as well?
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised if you haven't installed aftermarket parts in your car in a year. You're going to wish you had installed the intake and SXTH hot pipe a year ago...LOL! I haven't messed with the BOV...yet...so I don't know enough on this subject.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most companies will not bother tuning the non turbo Forte and any plug and play items from ebay, Amazon, wish, Aliexpress ect.. will be fake trash. Unfortunately this how it is. Though, you can purchase a throttle controller that will make your car more fun to drive but will not increase power. Not much support for non turbo nor worth the money to do so.
Dang. Well the NA was what I was able to get, so I’ll make the most of what I can and hopefully more stuff will become available as time goes. She’s fun as is with just the little bit I’ve done so far. I’d love to see someone come out with a turbo kit for the 2.0L eventually. I think at least some ppl would be interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I ordered pretty much everything I wanted on Black Friday and some parts are still rolling in. I installed the SXTH BOV,MAC solenoid, and hot pipe upgrade. My JB4 and Spark plugs are coming in this weekend.
When I get the M45XL plugs in do I need to re gap them before I install them? If so what gap should I do?
I have the SXTH downpipe waiting for me but I will put that in when I get the Evilla exhaust in. I also ordered the Yellow Speed Racking springs so when I get those in I will let you all know how that is.
Still waiting for the aFE CAI and Velossa Big mouth to show as well. But hopefully by the new year the car will feel like a new car!

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I ordered pretty much everything I wanted on Black Friday and some parts are still rolling in. I installed the SXTH BOV,MAC solenoid, and hot pipe upgrade. My JB4 and Spark plugs are coming in this weekend.
When I get the M45XL plugs in do I need to re gap them before I install them? If so what gap should I do?
I have the SXTH downpipe waiting for me but I will put that in when I get the Evilla exhaust in. I also ordered the Yellow Speed Racking springs so when I get those in I will let you all know how that is.
Still waiting for the aFE CAI and Velossa Big mouth to show as well. But hopefully by the new year the car will feel like a new car!
Nice, I am waiting on my parts too. I have the hot pipe and plugs not installed yet (maybe this weekend). I am waiting on my velossa big mouth and aFE Cai. I am considering getting a backup ECU before ordering the JB4 just to avoid any potential warranty issue.

How are you liking the mods you installed?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Nice, I am waiting on my parts too. I have the hot pipe and plugs not installed yet (maybe this weekend). I am waiting on my velossa big mouth and aFE Cai. I am considering getting a backup ECU before ordering the JB4 just to avoid any potential warranty issue.

You dont need a back up ECU. It is not like you just buy one and its plug and play from the dealer. Read this and the comments. Look up the Magnuson-Moss. If you are worried about warranty dont mod your car. Read the Magnuson-Moss law and hope your dealership is cool. 😁😎

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody installed the M45XL plugs yet? If so did you have to change the gap of them or just install them? I bought them from kdm tuners and they just arrived but I don't know if I need to gap them for the car or if they come with the correct gapping.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Has anybody installed the M45XL plugs yet? If so did you have to change the gap of them or just install them? I bought them from kdm tuners and they just arrived but I don't know if I need to gap them for the car or if they come with the correct gapping.
They come at .028. But "ALWAYS" perform gap checks. Read this for gapping if you are using JB4: Kia & Hyundai JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
RACECHIP said you dont have to change spark plus or get new ones. Though if are pushing more boost its highly "recommended" 1 or 2 step colder plugs with different gap. Though some will say just regap your factory plugs. At the end of the day it will be your car your choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You dont need a back up ECU. It is not like you just buy one and its plug and play from the dealer. Read this and the comments. Look up the Magnuson-Moss. If you are worried about warranty dont mod your car. Read the Magnuson-Moss law and hope your dealership is cool. 😁😎

I think anyone might be concerned about the warranty given how new the cars are and the fact that most people still have a warranty. I'm aware Magnuson-Moss but if you install a tuner and blow your motor sorry they aren't going to warranty. If you go with a back up ecu you can swap right back to your original. Just look at how many SI motors have blown because of tunes. Not saying it will happen on this platform but it is a possibility.

I can get an ecu for about $200 also if I want to have a tuner do a specific ecu tune later it would be an option. It's cheap insurance imo.

I'll mod the car and take it as far as I can so there is a chance I might blow it. It's not wrong to take the warranty into consideration. It's not my first time moding cars. There isn't alot of data on how much power this motor will support for a sustained amount of time. Therefore I don't think $200 is a bad idea. If you go with a Lap 3 tune they offer a spare ECU option.

On the other hand it might blow and I might rebuild it a little tougher so I wouldn't need the warranty.

If you are out there granny shifting not double clutching like you should, the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings . Mine will still be under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts

When did you buy your Velossa big mouth and aFE CAI? Also, which design did you go for with the big mouth? I ordered a couple weeks ago and haven't received any updates on them yet.
I'm loving the BOV and the Hot pipe I installed hearing the turbo spool while pressing the gas and the hiss from the BOV when I shift or let off the gas is so much fun.
I just got the plugs and should be getting the JB4 tomorrow so I will be installing those tomorrow and I am extremely excited.
I should be getting my sway bars in on Sunday.
I think the week of the 14th I should be installing the downpipe from SXTH, motor mount from KDM tuners, and sway bars from Eibach.
I'm hoping to get an update as to when my CAI and Big mouth will be here and possibly my exhaust from Evilla and the Yellow speed racing Coilovers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When did you buy your Velossa big mouth and aFE CAI? Also, which design did you go for with the big mouth? I ordered a couple weeks ago and haven't received any updates on them yet.
I'm loving the BOV and the Hot pipe I installed hearing the turbo spool while pressing the gas and the hiss from the BOV when I shift or let off the gas is so much fun.
I just got the plugs and should be getting the JB4 tomorrow so I will be installing those tomorrow and I am extremely excited.
I should be getting my sway bars in on Sunday.
I think the week of the 14th I should be installing the downpipe from SXTH, motor mount from KDM tuners, and sway bars from Eibach.
I'm hoping to get an update as to when my CAI and Big mouth will be here and possibly my exhaust from Evilla and the Yellow speed racing Coilovers.
I'm ready for more turbo sound.

I ordered on black friday. I have no update on the CAI or the big mouth either.

for the big mouth I ordered
2020+ Kia Forte GT BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake SnorkelFlare/Inlet
Shape: Symmetric Octagonal
Body Color: Black
BIG MOUTH Flare Color: Black

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #315 (Edited)
I think anyone might be concerned about the warranty given how new the cars are and the fact that most people still have a warranty. I'm aware Magnuson-Moss but if you install a tuner and blow your motor sorry they aren't going to warranty. If you go with a back up ecu you can swap right back to your original. Just look at how many SI motors have blown because of tunes. Not saying it will happen on this platform but it is a possibility.

I can get an ecu for about $200 also if I want to have a tuner do a specific ecu tune later it would be an option. It's cheap insurance imo.

I'll mod the car and take it as far as I can so there is a chance I might blow it. It's not wrong to take the warranty into consideration. It's not my first time moding cars. There isn't alot of data on how much power this motor will support for a sustained amount of time. Therefore I don't think $200 is a bad idea. If you go with a Lap 3 tune they offer a spare ECU option.

On the other hand it might blow and I might rebuild it a little tougher so I wouldn't need the warranty.

If you are out there granny shifting not double clutching like you should, the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings . Mine will still be under warranty.

m
There is data on this motor/turbo. 250whp is roughly maxing out on the factory turbo. So 230-240whp is considered safe on this turbo. 260-280 +/- torque on the DCT due factory limiters. In Manual dont really worry. ES share the same turbo but GT has higher compression. Yes they offer spare (I believe cloned ECU with thier tune on it. ) This why LAP 3 costs $1000 with spare ECU tune. Most those ppl using LAP 3 dont care about warranty. Lol. A correct ECU spare non LAP 3 done, still has to have vin keyed in it/paired to your car (said from kia techs who also mod thier cars). Plus when u go the dealer they will notice mileage differences (this told to me) but they still have to prove it to void it. JB4 and RACECHIP are Piggyback units and leave no imprint on the ECU unlike ECU flash tuning and disassembly of the ECU to tune it. Just to share some information about the two units for those that read this looking for information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They come at .028. But "ALWAYS" perform gap checks. Read this for gapping if you are using JB4: Kia & Hyundai JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
RACECHIP said you dont have to change spark plus or get new ones. Though if are pushing more boost its highly "recommended" 1 or 2 step colder plugs with different gap. Though some will say just regap your factory plugs. At the end of the day it will be your car your choice.
so are the HKS M45XL not colder plugs? I thought they were... What gap would you recommend? the 0.028 that they come with or the 0.022-0.026 that the link you provided for the stinger suggests?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #317 (Edited)
so are the HKS M45XL not colder plugs? I thought they were... What gap would you recommend? the 0.028 that they come with or the 0.022-0.026 that the link you provided for the stinger suggests?
M45XL are 2 steps colder. Factory is gap is .028 and M45XL supposed to come at .028 They recommend colder plugs due added boost. They recommend .022-.026 to reduce chances of misfiring with the JB4 set up and settings within the JB4. Me personally I would go with what Terry Burger recommends at .022. But always check gap on plugs in general. The recommendations is not only for stinger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it is the downpipe, good luck unless you can lift the entire car a good 2 or 3 feet. The downpipe is tucked into a tough spot and getting to the third bolt on the engine side is tough.
Hotpipe was an easy install but the stock hose clamps are round for some reason. I used a set of extractors for rounded bolts to get them off.
The BOV was a piece of cake though.but you have already installed one huh?

Whatever it is have fun and let us know how it turns out :D

301 - 320 of 412 Posts