Kia Forte Forum banner

501 - 520 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 · (Edited)
So... was my post above (#494) dismissed as too stupid to reply to, or did it just get overlooked because of being in moderation (presumably due to the link, since this is a new account here) while other posts to this thread had been made?
Not much you can do on the non turbo motor. Exhaust,intake, velossa tech big mouth intake, a throttle controller will give the car more pep feeling but no HP gain. Most tuning companies wont bother with the non turbo models. GT and non GT dont share the same suspension. Im sure its been discussed in the thread.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
non-turbo models have different rear suspensions then the turbo models - keep that in mind when shopping for suspension parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would have been better for you to post in the new member section with your post #494 to get attention - this thread is an information thread and as such your post would most likely get overlooked. I missed it originally because Olszewski had included the post above about the scoop lights when I logged on and that caught my attention.
I didn't even think of the new member section, even if I am one.

Anyway, off to work in a few, so it'll have to wait. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not much you can do on the non turbo motor. Exhaust,intake, velossa tech big mouth intake, a throttle controller will give the car more pep feeling but no HP gain. Most tuning companies wont bother with the non turbo models. GT and non GT dont share the same suspension. Im sure its been discussed in the thread.
Yeah, I know N/A does tend to get ignored in general, and even if I didn't say so in the previous post I wasn't taking the claimed performance increase from the device at face value. (The reviews I read didn't do any dyno testing, just talked about how it "feels", though one did open the case and look closely at the internals.)

As for the suspension, not surprising, but I hadn't looked into it yet because it's not an immediate concern anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I know N/A does tend to get ignored in general, and even if I didn't say so in the previous post I wasn't taking the claimed performance increase from the device at face value. (The reviews I read didn't do any dyno testing, just talked about how it "feels", though one did open the case and look closely at the internals.)

As for the suspension, not surprising, but I hadn't looked into it yet because it's not an immediate concern anyway.
For suspension, you can get the BC Racing BR Series for the Elantra (AD). I installed them with the help of a buddy and they work great. So be aware tho that you’ll want to get them aligned right away cause with stock wheels at stock placement, they bump into the front struts. But they fit right into the stock spaces and the hardest part of the whole thing was getting the stock stuff off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For suspension, you can get the BC Racing BR Series for the Elantra (AD). I installed them with the help of a buddy and they work great. So be aware tho that you’ll want to get them aligned right away cause with stock wheels at stock placement, they bump into the front struts. But they fit right into the stock spaces and the hardest part of the whole thing was getting the stock stuff off.
Looking at their website (unless it's something other than www.bcracing-na.com and I was steered wrong by a web search), it doesn't look like they carry anything Kia or Hyundai past the 2018 models.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to their site again and search "2020 Hyundai Elantra". They haven't updated their site to include the 3rd gen forte- but the Elantra uses the same parts.

Product Result – BC Racing (bcracing-na.com)
Order from Fitment Industries. That’s who I ordered it from. I did unfortunately have to wait a week or 2 for them to restock them at BC, but that wasn’t too bad for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, thanks for the pointer. Changing the suspension is a longer-term project at this point, though. Bill collectors are notoriously unsympathetic towards arguments like "but I couldn't pay because I had just bought some coilovers!". ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
A month ago I picked up a '21 GT-Line (with my driving record I would've been sodomized by insurance for a GT, but I like the GT styling :p ), replacing a '16 Elantra GT (N/A) that was dying on me.

I'm not looking to race, but I wanted a bit more "get up and go" from the stock motor without having to sell any major organs, so I looked around and came upon this (given I regularly drive 75+ miles a day, better mileage won out over more "zip" from the Stage 2 version). Doing some web searches for reviews it seems like it's a legit product, but I thought I'd ask for some second opinions. Any thoughts?

(For the record, my modding is more going to be focused on suspension when budget allows. I don't get much chance to go really fast on the roads around here, but keeping the speed I can do without attracting the police is easier when I don't have to brake so a curve won't send me sailing off the road.)
All the suspension parts that standard Elantras of the last generation will work on the GT-Line. That is everything for the torsion bar rear suspension.

The GT, Elantra Sport/N-Line and 2019 Veloster Turbo/R-Line/Ultimate/N all have multi-link rear suspensions.

In other words, the fronts are the same macpherson strut system but the rears are different and offer different handling feel.

Did you even check insurance rates before assuming the insurance companies would charge you substantially higher insurance rates for the GT?

Modifying N/A cars is a pointless operation because it becomes discussion that a little is good enough mainly because big power gains are expensive and evasive (cams, pistons, head porting) or scary (not true but whatever) nitrous oxide.

The best bang for the buck is nitrous oxide always has been, always will be for IC engines. ZEX Safe Shot is priced aggressively to compete with cold-air intakes and offers at least two-three times the gain of a typical cold-air intake. It comes with a smaller 5 lbs bottle and a push button. But it works well and the shot is so small that there is no threat to the engine's longevity.

I am not sure what that OBD-II module does and since there is no logging available who knows what's going on there? Plus don't get lured in by improved economy, that rarely happens with devices like these and is one of the selling points the German boxes make (GAN, DTE, RaceChip) that has yet to be proven in real world driving.

I've said it once, I'll say it again and with dealers now calling people who bought cars less than a year ago begging for you to trade-in your lightly used car for another brand new car because dealers are making a killing on the used car market.

Anyway since they are being aggressive with trade-ons, trade-in your Line for a real GT, because unless you opt for nitrous and even then you won't come close to the level of performance the GT offers. I have two modifications, with E40 ethanol blend my car made 247 whp (Map 5) SAE recently on DSport Magazines Dynojet.

It's run the best of [email protected] mph (Map 7, 23 psi, E40 + WMI) that is the same as Map 3 only with water methanol injection enabled.

You will not even get close to that with a N/A Forte unless you do an engine swap, trade-in, turbo kit or nitrous oxide. By the time you did any of that, you could be driving the GT, Elantra N-Line or GT N-Line, all performance bargains.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not much you can do on the non turbo motor. Exhaust,intake, velossa tech big mouth intake, a throttle controller will give the car more pep feeling but no HP gain. Most tuning companies won't bother with the non turbo models. GT and non GT dont share the same suspension. Im sure its been discussed in the thread.
Just wanted to say the Honda K Motor is well supported, enough to make well over 300 hp on pump gas and over 500+ hp in race trim.

Honda is the only company in this space that was serious about N/A performance and only recently switched to turbo power because it was going to be harder to pass stringent CA and EU emissions testing and maintain fuel economy with high power N/A engines.

Same reason why BMW and Mercedes Benz went all turbo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
Velossa Tech Lit Kit. 50% brightness.
15% off code:

100% brightness:

Attachments

501 - 520 of 558 Posts