Kia Forte Forum banner

541 - 558 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lmaooo why you gotta do me like that 😂
I personally have experience trying to make slow cars fast. The 1st gen Dodge Neon was one of the best handling cars of its era even winning a SCCA National Championship a few times; Mostly because Dodge was paying good contingency money and attached good drivers.

Anyway basic bolt-ons would make the DOHC version a low 14 second to high 13's second car and it had aftermarket support for serious parts like camshafts and pistons.

The Forte along with the majority of the Hyundai/Kia cars don't have that sort of legacy or support. So it ends up being throwing good money after bad when a Forte GT can run low 14's stock if you stop spinning the wheels off the line. With a few mods, it can punch above its weight.

You can't claim ignorance or some other reason for not knowing the GT existed. Kia makes the DCT free (no charge option) and the enthusiast pay extra for the privilege to have a manual transmission. in other words it's made for the low information customer, no excuse not to buy it other than it's out of your budget but that's hard to believe.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 1st mod lol...

View attachment 82898

warranty voided for such a dangerous mod lol

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT 1.6 Turbo
19 Posts
Wondering if anyone has seen any rear window louvers for the 19 and up Forte. Been looking for one for my GT but have only seen quarter window louvers and they look like grandma's ass.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Wondering if anyone has seen any rear window louvers for the 19 and up Forte. Been looking for one for my GT but have only seen quarter window louvers and they look like grandma's ass.
The only problem I have with your reference is how do you know what grandma's derriere looks like? LOL!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You aren't the first to ask nor will you be the last...:)
An intake will not void your warranty. Want to be sure? Just go and talk to the service manager at your local dealer. I drop by and show the service manager the mods I put on my car all the time.
Any aftermarket part that claims to increase the power output of the engine can be used to void the powertrain warranty if the dealer/automaker deems it. The Magnusson-Moss Act in the US allows you to use aftermarket OEM-equivalent service parts without voiding the factory warranty (besides for the part itself, obviously), but it doesn't allow you to alter the performance characteristics of the vehicle. This has been tested in court before, and the automaker almost always wins. You have to remember that from the court's perspective, the automaker who designed and manufactured the car is going to be seen as the ultimate arbiter of whether a particular replacement part modified the performance of the powertrain. Considering the part in question was likely marketed and advertised as doing just that, you're going to have an uphill battle to win that court battle, should it come to that (and you almost certainly won't). Even if your dealer seems cool with your mods, if you show up with a blown engine with aftermarket performance parts, they can get decidedly uncool in a hurry when the automaker denies the warranty claim. Of course, this will still vary by automaker. Some are very vigilant about denying claims for modifications (VW is notorious) while others aren't (Dodge doesn't seem to much care unless it's a Hellcat, in which case they look pretty closely at it).

Also, if you have purchased any kind of "extended warranty", this is not a "warranty", per se, but a service contract. Read the terms and conditions very closely before doing anything, because most service contracts require all work done to the vehicle to be completed in a licensed facility by a licensed mechanic/technician in accordance with the automaker's specifications. Doing your own oil changes will generally void a service contract, and installing aftermarket performance parts 100% will.

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT 1.6 Turbo
19 Posts
Any aftermarket part that claims to increase the power output of the engine can be used to void the powertrain warranty if the dealer/automaker deems it. The Magnusson-Moss Act in the US allows you to use aftermarket OEM-equivalent service parts without voiding the factory warranty (besides for the part itself, obviously), but it doesn't allow you to alter the performance characteristics of the vehicle. This has been tested in court before, and the automaker almost always wins. You have to remember that from the court's perspective, the automaker who designed and manufactured the car is going to be seen as the ultimate arbiter of whether a particular replacement part modified the performance of the powertrain. Considering the part in question was likely marketed and advertised as doing just that, you're going to have an uphill battle to win that court battle, should it come to that (and you almost certainly won't). Even if your dealer seems cool with your mods, if you show up with a blown engine with aftermarket performance parts, they can get decidedly uncool in a hurry when the automaker denies the warranty claim. Of course, this will still vary by automaker. Some are very vigilant about denying claims for modifications (VW is notorious) while others aren't (Dodge doesn't seem to much care unless it's a Hellcat, in which case they look pretty closely at it).

Also, if you have purchased any kind of "extended warranty", this is not a "warranty", per se, but a service contract. Read the terms and conditions very closely before doing anything, because most service contracts require all work done to the vehicle to be completed in a licensed facility by a licensed mechanic/technician in accordance with the automaker's specifications. Doing your own oil changes will generally void a service contract, and installing aftermarket performance parts 100% will.
I agree. I worked for Ford as a Master Diesel Mechanic for 21 years and our dealership had the absolute right to void a customer's warranty for aftermarket power modifications. I say leave it be, the manufacturer made it plenty fast enough and most of the time stopped at the engines mechanical limitations. If you want more power then buy a faster or more powerful model. By modifying the engine you are drastically affecting the reliability of the car. My 2020 Forte GT is plenty powerful as is and if it becomes not so then I will move up to a K5 or Stinger GT.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If you have a dealer that is against modifications (in my case my dealer likes to see what I've done so I don't worry about this) then if you have a car problem take off the modification and reinstall the original part before taking the car in for servicing. Problem solved...

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you do install them post pics!

Too bad they don't offer the caliper in other colors besides black or silver.
I'm pretty sure the black/silver choice is for the zinc coating on the rotors not the caliper. It doesn't mention anything about color options for calipers, you probably need to take care of that yourself if you don't like the silver/white color.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'm pretty sure the black/silver choice is for the zinc coating on the rotors not the caliper. It doesn't mention anything about color options for calipers, you probably need to take care of that yourself if you don't like the silver/white color.
Missed that...:sleep: For the price the calipers should be available coated or painted!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Missed that...:sleep: For the price the calipers should be available coated or painted!
Perhaps my perspective is skewed coming from a Dodge Dart, which has abysmal aftermarket support, but that's pretty cheap if it's actually a BBK (it doesn't include caliper mounting brackets, so I wonder how that works). There were only a couple of BBKs ever offered for the Dart, and they were about $4K each. That's for the front brakes, mind you, absolutely nothing was available for the rears.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Perhaps my perspective is skewed coming from a Dodge Dart, which has abysmal aftermarket support, but that's pretty cheap if it's actually a BBK (it doesn't include caliper mounting brackets, so I wonder how that works). There were only a couple of BBKs ever offered for the Dart, and they were about $4K each. That's for the front brakes, mind you, absolutely nothing was available for the rears.
My perspective is on parts made in China and $1.52 per hour wage...

541 - 558 of 558 Posts