Kia Forte Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1164 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Question, in stock configuration, the turbo will output 16-18 psi of boost correct?

If the horsepower at the flywheel is 201 hp, would that mean this engine running NA would only be producing around 98 hp?

I know that the NA version of this engine (G4FD) is advertised at 138 hp but that's hyundai tuning it specifically as a NA engine.

Am I just assuming then that the 1.6L GDi Gamma II engine as NA and untuned, is just a 96-98 hp engine?

· Registered
2020 Forte GT
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,124 ·
Question, in stock configuration, the turbo will output 16-18 psi of boost correct?

If the horsepower at the flywheel is 201 hp, would that mean this engine running NA would only be producing around 98 hp?

I know that the NA version of this engine (G4FD) is advertised at 138 hp but that's hyundai tuning it specifically as a NA engine.

Am I just assuming then that the 1.6L GDi Gamma II engine as NA and untuned, is just a 96-98 hp engine?
Stock might peak at 16-18, not hold that during a pull/run. It's lower than that. Hold might be 12-14. It's been a long while and I'm sure I can find my old logs and report back to ya.

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,969 Posts

Just fyi - I'm not sure the 1.6 NA engines - like in the current Rio - is the same as the 1.6T in the Forte. For example the 1.6T uses a can filter, while the 1.6 NA uses a open oil filter.

· Registered
2019 Kia Cerato/Forte GT Hatch
178 Posts
The short answer is 'it depends'.

The longer answer: The ECU is looking at a table of Torque output vs throttle pedal position - the pedal is effectively just a 'torque request' device. If you put the pedal down 20% in Eco mode, the ecu might go 'they're requesting 20% of max torque and with the eco setting i'll let the boost build gradually'.

Or you might be in sport mode and bury the pedal in to the firewall, and the ecu goes 'we need maximum allowed torque and to generate it as quickly as possible' - so the ecu starts playing around with cam and ignition timing, wastegate solenoids and so on in order to get to maximum torque output as soon as it can. Once it hits that torque output it starts backing things off to hold the output at a constant level.

I run an obd2 multi-function gauge and it'll often peak at 20-21psi of boost until it hits maximum torque, and then winds the boost back to 15-17psi to hold that torque output. The variance in boost pressure is due to air temp, air pressure, humidity and so on. On really cold nights in winter i've seen it hit 23psi before settling on 13-14 due to the denser air.

· Registered
2023 Forte GT 6spd
456 Posts
Realistically not going to happen. Better off with JB4 and the fuel wire kit
Why would we be worried about fuel with the Racechip? My logs are showing 10.5-12 actual afr under full boost at stage 5 on 87 octane. Boost is holding at 21psi for the full pull. Only upgrades is Racechip, Evilla midpipe and AFE intake with stock plugs and gap. Dragy puts 40-60 in 3rd gear at 2.5 seconds. The factory ECU seems to be doing a great job of making sure air fuel ratio is perfect even with the additional boost from the Racechip.

· Registered
2020 Forte GT
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,132 · (Edited)
Why would we be worried about fuel with the Racechip? My logs are showing 10.5-12 actual afr under full boost at stage 5 on 87 octane. Boost is holding at 21psi for the full pull. Only upgrades is Racechip, Evilla midpipe and AFE intake with stock plugs and gap. Dragy puts 40-60 in 3rd gear at 2.5 seconds. The factory ECU seems to be doing a great job of making sure air fuel ratio is perfect even with the additional boost from the Racechip.
Never said to be worried about fuel with the race chip its what the adapter is called. I wouldnt recommend using 87 on higher boost adding maps either. Thats my opinion and Racechip doesn't recommend it either last time i reached out to them. Unless you will go in Ethanol mixture. I stated better with a JB4 with a fuel adapter. Reason is you can take advantage of run Ethanol mix like E30 make more power and the JB4 will adjust afr. Which RaceChip will not. Factory ECU will not adjust correctly to Ethanol mixture like E30. 10.5 is to rich on WOT and tuners do not like to see in the 10s on full throttle and full boost when tuning higher boost than factory. Factory ECU might adjust more fuel and timing vs pushing peak boost 100% up time on a WOT pull to keep it running strong. Remember piggybacks add stuff your ECU does not pick up. That's why JB4 is more advanced with its on board computer being far better than Racechip. Adding a JB4 fuel wire adapter along with the JB4 can make correct afr adjustments for pump, Emix gas,higher octane fuels/additives, water methanol injection and with adding higher boost levels than stock.. Which Racechip can not and will only be a cheaper option piggyback boost increase and that's is all.

· Registered
2023 Forte GT 6spd
456 Posts
Never said to be worried about fuel with the race chip. Unless you will go in Ethanol mixture. I stated better with a JB4 with a fuel adapter. Reason is you can take advantage of run Ethanol mix like E30 make more power and the JB4 will adjust afr. Which RaceChip will not. Factory ECU will not adjust correctly to Ethanol mixture like E30. 10.5 is to rich on WOT and tuners do not like to see in the 10s on full throttle and full boost when tuning higher boost than factory. Factory ECU might adjust more fuel and timing vs pushing peak boost 100% up time on a WOT pull to keep it running strong. Remember piggybacks add stuff your ECU does not pick up. That's why JB4 is more advanced with its on board computer being far better than Racechip. Adding a JB4 fuel wire adapter along with the JB4 can make correct afr adjustments for pump, Emix gas,higher octane fuels/additives, water methanol injection and with adding higher boost levels than stock.. Which Racechip can not and will only be a cheaper option piggyback boost increase and that's is all.
Makes sense, looking closer it looks like the majority of the time afr is 11.2-11.8 with full throttle. I think I figured out how to get the spark to log as well, what's your thought on how that should look under full throttle? Be interesting to see how the factury ecu is handling the 93 octane once I start using it again. I know from the butt dyno last fall the 93 made a noticeable difference. The Hyundai N crowd actually has a section in manual about octane learning with the factory ecu.
Now I am not denying the JB4 does more than the Racechip, that we know to be true, I am just saying we might not be giving the factory ecu enough credit for how well it is handling added boost.

· Registered
2022 gt2
1,182 Posts
Makes sense, looking closer it looks like the majority of the time afr is 11.2-11.8 with full throttle. I think I figured out how to get the spark to log as well, what's your thought on how that should look under full throttle? Be interesting to see how the factury ecu is handling the 93 octane once I start using it again. I know from the butt dyno last fall the 93 made a noticeable difference. The Hyundai N crowd actually has a section in manual about octane learning with the factory ecu.
Now I am not denying the JB4 does more than the Racechip, that we know to be true, I am just saying we might not be giving the factory ecu enough credit for how well it is handling added boost.
All the fuel wire, fuel piggyback, fuel adapter is nothing more than o2 sensor manipulation. It’s not this amazing thing that only the jb4 can do.

· Registered
2020 Forte GT
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,135 ·
All the fuel wire, fuel piggyback, fuel adapter is nothing more than o2 sensor manipulation. It’s not this amazing thing that only the jb4 can do.
Take the time to read. Great information here.

· Registered
2020 Forte GT
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,136 ·

· Registered
2020 Forte GT
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,140 · (Edited)
Filling your head with with 103 pages will make you a much better bench racer.
Who said you need to read more than the first page? First page is JB4 information. Lack of knowledge, Common sense, willingness to look for information and provide/look up data information is to be expected now a days. Makes sense in what we see here and on most of these forum people.

1121 - 1140 of 1164 Posts