Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forte EX
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me preface by pointing out something strange that might have caused one of the issues (knocking), but is also recommended by Kia, so take it for what it's worth: I changed my oil for the first time at 1,000 miles just as a break in oil change. Any metal flakes or anything that might have come off from a new engine I wanted out of the pan. My oil cap didn't say what weight to use, so I consulted the manual like any rational person would do. On the page with the recommended fluids, it clearly says 5w20, 4.2 quarts and some other oil spec requirements. Turning to the next page I noticed that it also gives options for oil weight depending on climate. Cold weather (-20 - 120°F), Kia recommends 5w20. Warmer weather (0 - 120°F) curiously it recommends 10w30. With it being the middle of Summer in Oregon and never dipping under 50°, I figured 10w30 would be fine, and just to be sure I called Kia Customer Service and they confirmed that it's a good idea to use heavier oil in hotter weather. So I did, and soon after is when the first of my issues came up:

1) When I have the car stopped and in gear, there's a strange knocking sound that sounds kind of like worn rod bearings but not as loud as that would typically be. It's more prevalent in reverse, but still audible in drive. Again, it's only when completely stopped and in gear. As soon as the car starts moving it goes away. I brought it to the dealer for a diagnostic and the tech said it was just injector tick, but that's BS in my opinion. Injectors tick, they don't knock.
Example:

2) Every now and then (once a week or so) when I start the car, it has a REALLY hard time starting. It cranks for about 5 seconds before finally catching and kind of lugging to a proper idle rpm. Once it hits proper idle after a few seconds, it does great. It's just odd that it would randomly have a hard time starting.

3) Every now and then (a couple times a week) when I accelerate on an incline, my car will start to lose power. I can get around this by giving it more throttle and it snaps out of it and runs fine. However, if I keep the same throttle position without forcibly giving it more power, it will keep losing RPM until it hits about 1,000 at which point it will jump up to about 2,500 or so for a second then quickly drop back down to 1,000 for a second before jumping back up then down then up then down and will do this forever until I give it more throttle and snap it out of its cycle. I'll post a video I took of it doing this below. Strange behavior.
Example:

Maybe these are just bugs in the software and are normal to expect occasionally in such complex vehicles, and maybe I'm being a little hypochondriacal about the new IVT transmission which it's Kia's first year producing. Either way, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it and if any of you have experienced these and maybe its normal.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.54.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.54.56 AM.png

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, my 2019 FE (manual trans) with 14K has always had an engine tick / knock when cold. Noticeable at idle and low RPM under acceleration load when COLD. I'm running factory KIA filters and 5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. As soon as it warms up for 2-3 min or a few blocks, the noise is gone. This is normal for this NU engine I guess.

That is all I notice on mine - good luck with yours!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So far at 7800 miles I haven't had any issues. I've had one case where the car stumbled for just a second upon start, but that was only once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts