Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Forte into the dealership for an oil change on Saturday and when the service advisor went to get the odometer reading he noticed that my front brakes were only contacting 50% of the rotor and suggested a brake inspection to determine the cause.

Upon inspection the pads were down to 2mm and the rotors were grooved so he recommended replacing them which seemed reasonable enough to me. However he also recommended replacing the rear rotors and pads as well which still have 5mm on the pads and the rotors still appear ok as well. I told him to proceed with the front and I'd do the rears later.

The rears should be ok for a little while yet still no? The car is also only at 35,000 kms with about 80% of that being pure highway driving with minimal braking. That just seems early to me to do a full replacement when they still are functioning ok.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, you do about 90% braking on the front and not the rears. Do you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic? How many miles do you have on your car? My 2017 Forte LX had nearly 100,000 miles on the OEM brakes before I replaced them. I had ordered new ceramic pads and new rotors for both front and rear from rockauto.com before inspecting the rear pads. I didn't really need to replace the rear pads and rotors, but figured that since I had them, I'd just do all four wheels at the same time. So basically, I'm saying that you should be fine with the rear pads for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm only at around 22,000 miles so that just seemed really low to have to replace both pads and rotors.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
198 Posts
Certainly seems like strangely high brake wear. Do you ride the brake with your left foot or anything like that? I don’t see why 22,000 miles of mostly highway could do that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly seems like strangely high brake wear. Do you ride the brake with your left foot or anything like that? I don’t see why 22,000 miles of mostly highway could do that
Nope. The only thing I just thought of which I'm not sure if it would have an impact is I have the model with adaptive cruise control and use it extensively. I don't know if it would use the brakes a lot to maintain the following gap?

When I'm in the office, my daily roundtrip commute is 75 miles with about 5 miles of city driving in fairly standard city traffic. The other miles are highway with a couple stop signs/turns each way.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
198 Posts
Nope. The only thing I just thought of which I'm not sure if it would have an impact is I have the model with adaptive cruise control and use it extensively. I don't know if it would use the brakes a lot to maintain the following gap?

When I'm in the office, my daily roundtrip commute is 75 miles with about 5 miles of city driving in fairly standard city traffic. The other miles are highway with a couple stop signs/turns each way.
Interesting. I have no experience with adaptive cruise, so maybe someone else could chime in about that. Not sure why the braking components are worn out with such little mileage. I’ve got 12.5k miles on my ‘21 FE and the brakes look brand new.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Something isn't right. My 2010 SX 6MT has 91,000 miles & have replaced the front disc brakes only once. Changed the rear disc & shoes brakes cause why not.

The rotors do need to be done. The braking surface has grooves on all for rotors. Wheel hubs & bearing are still in working proper conditions. Eventually I have to change those too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something isn't right. My 2010 SX 6MT has 91,000 miles & have replaced the front disc brakes only once. Changed the rear disc & shoes brakes cause why not.

The rotors do need to be done. The braking surface has grooves on all for rotors. Wheel hubs & bearing are still in working proper conditions. Eventually I have to change those too.
The only other thing I can think of is that my car sat a lot for the better part of a year when I was working from home for COVID. I spoke to a friend who is a heavy truck mechanic this afternoon and that was his suggestion as a possibility. My average fuel economy is 39 MPG so I feel like if the brakes were rubbing or something my economy would be worse than that.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is that my car sat a lot for the better part of a year when I was working from home for COVID. I spoke to a friend who is a heavy truck mechanic this afternoon and that was his suggestion as a possibility. My average fuel economy is 39 MPG so I feel like if the brakes were rubbing or something my economy would be worse than that.
Do you park your car in the weather? If so, all the time it sat means the rotors could have been corroding and pitting causing the brake pads to wear more then usual.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is a high probability. Rotor warps because of rust buildup and then as you move it heats up, but unevenly. Quite bad brake wear. Did your brake rotor show a wider than usual dark coloured ring at the outer edge? that's often the effect. Did you feel any vibration (not always the case)? And no, fuel economy would only marginally compromised. You'd need a badly stuck brake to influence that and that you'd feel and smell quite quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts