Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, 14K miles on my 2019 FE (Manual Trans). My Forte has forward warning and collision avoidance braking system and lane warning / keep assistance - I think they all come standard with this.

A - This has happened 4 times:
Driving highway speeds (65+ mph), normal flowing traffic, divided 4 lane freeway - the dash lights up with warnings and the display says the system is disabled because the front camera is obscured / blocked. Obviously, the camera is not blocked. This happened 2x dry conditions, 1x snow and 1x rain. The system re-sets withing 5-10 miles or with a cycle of the ignition switch (I didn't cycle the switch while driving...ha).

B - This has happened 2 times:
City driving, traffic, but flowing. When an oncoming car approaches (no median) the collision system activates, warns me, then locks up the brakes. Almost got rear-ended both times. NO warning lights on the dash - the system thinks it is acting normally. This is a 4 lane city road, no center median, both me and the on-coming car on in our respective "fast lanes" passing by each other - make sense?

B is quite a safety issue - I have not brought it into the dealer yet. These occurances have happened with the OEM tires, and the snow tires - no difference.

Have you notice anything strange with yours?

Here is a pic, because pictures.
20200211_160713.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've only got about 6k miles on my 2020, none of those issues yet. But the system is overly aggressive imo. It's tripped twice on me, the first time a car at least a block ahead of me slowing for a turn and it locked right the hell up. In wouldn't have even slowed down for that 1. I was way more worried about the car behind me. I've got it at the lowest setting, I don't recall if u can disable it entirely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for posting - it confirms that I am not totally crazy. Something is not right with the software / settings on these things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would take it to the dealer ASAP to have the system checked, and possibly have the camera re-calibrated.

The owner's manual mentions that the camera re-calibration is critical in the context of the windshield being replaced or otherwise being disturbed. There are also some warnings about anything in proximity to the camera that could reflect. Not saying those conditions exist with your car, but it suggests that the camera is very finicky.

I did have two similar issues:

1) During a recent snow storm I was unable to use the automatic cruise control and I think forward collision was disabled due to the front sensor being obscured. When I got home, the front radar panel in the lower grill was covered with snow and ice, so that's reasonable.

2) Right after that same snow storm, I found the lane keeping assist acting weird, where the camera was clearly misreading the lane markers and would pull me to the right. After the snow melted and the windshield was fully clean, LKA function returned to normal. So I suspect there was some ice obscuring or refracting the camera.

Also remember that you can adjust the emergency braking sensitivity. I had to turn mine down as it was too aggressive for my driving style, and heavy traffic I deal with.

I also experience that the automatic cruise control will brake if it "sees" a car exiting the highway and slowing, even when that car has fully moved over onto the offramp.

Reactions: 1911garand

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ignoring the rest, no cruise control on slick roads. I worked way too many wrecks because if cruise control on ice and snow.
I should add that I wasn't trying to use the CC, but the display popped up to tell me that CC and I think automatic braking was disabled and those functions were unavailable due to the radar being blocked... something along those lines.

When I got home, the radar had a couple inches of snow and ice covering it, so no surprise ;)

·
Registered
2020 Forte FE MT.
9 Posts
You are not alone with this issue. I picked up a 2020 Forte FE about 3 months ago, it happens about 1 to 2 times a week. The only time it happens to me is on my drive to work at around 0530 when it is still dark out. A few times it happened while on the interstate and a couple of times at a dead stop. One stop was at a light, behind another car and the other time was when I was at the chain link gate of the place I work. I took it to the dealer, they tested the system and said it was working normally. They opened a ticket with TechLine, whatever that means, and I have not heard anything since. This last week I had it pop on 3 times, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I talked to the dealer again, gave them even more information and they are going to see if they can find anything out this week. If I hear anything back, I will share what I find here.
I did notice that the LKA was still working normally on mine when the error popped up on the dash. I saw the indicator was green with the steering wheel lit up too, so I tested it and drifted over to the center line, the wheel bumped back to the center of the lane as it should.
I love the car, it is a manual, it gets amazing gas mileage, looks really good, comfortable, but this issue is really damn annoying. I told the service advisor at my dealer to tell TechLine to either fix it or remove it. The only time that I would like the system to be functional, early in the morning while it is still dark, it seems to fail the most. Not exactly a "safety" system I would put much stock into.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Besides the 2 times mentioned I've had it beep at me a few times but it hasn't touched the brakes. It can BE disabled entirely through the menu.

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
75 Posts
I have a 2019 Forte FE. Had it about 1 year, don't drive it too much, has about 4K miles. I haven't had the braking issue, but I did turn the Lane Keeping Assist off. It seems to be constantly "nudging" the car, often based on things like those long shiny-black strips of tar they often apply to cracks in the road. Not horrible, never seemed like it might cause a crash, but more annoying than helpful, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 GT Line and my warning lights come on at least twice a week. Usually last until I turn car off, and then go away for a couple days.
Called dealer and they said they've never heard of this problem and I need to bring it in when lights are on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take it to the dealer ASAP to have the system checked, and possibly have the camera re-calibrated.

The owner's manual mentions that the camera re-calibration is critical in the context of the windshield being replaced or otherwise being disturbed. There are also some warnings about anything in proximity to the camera that could reflect. Not saying those conditions exist with your car, but it suggests that the camera is very finicky.

I did have two similar issues:

1) During a recent snow storm I was unable to use the automatic cruise control and I think forward collision was disabled due to the front sensor being obscured. When I got home, the front radar panel in the lower grill was covered with snow and ice, so that's reasonable.

2) Right after that same snow storm, I found the lane keeping assist acting weird, where the camera was clearly misreading the lane markers and would pull me to the right. After the snow melted and the windshield was fully clean, LKA function returned to normal. So I suspect there was some ice obscuring or refracting the camera.

Also remember that you can adjust the emergency braking sensitivity. I had to turn mine down as it was too aggressive for my driving style, and heavy traffic I deal with.

I also experience that the automatic cruise control will brake if it "sees" a car exiting the highway and slowing, even when that car has fully moved over onto the offramp.
My car does it as well and they recalibrated the camera and even kept it overnight and of course it didn't act up for them but mine only happens at night time and it can go off in 10 to 20 minutes or my stay on an hour but they told me just to document every time it happens where and what time and so far it's only happened twice in the same spot but also take a a picture of where I'm at when it happens with the light showing it cuz they said they will replace the camera if they can get it to act up for them but hopefully enough proof will get them to change it without them having to see you right in front of their eyes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts